User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Wind Up Rex View Post
    Are you trying to give some reasoning for my personal experience for the site? I'm unclear on the relevance of your reply or this question. What you said regarding matches being a "filtering" mechanism still seems to line up with what I said about values/relationship styles vs relationship quality and outcome.
    I'm trying to see if there's a connection between enemy match and your experiences.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by baccheion View Post
    I'm trying to see if there's a connection between enemy match and your experiences.
    Why?
    And so long as you haven’t experienced this: to die and so to grow,
    you are only a troubled guest on the dark earth

I find this extremely awesome that I can actually move the post right...

just checking in.

#easilyentertained
    everybody has gone through something that has changed them in a way that they could never go back to the person they once were
    I'm non-binary.

Why?
    To see what connections there are.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp

To see what connections there are.
    INTPs

I don't feel this current line of questioning relates to the initial point that I made whatsoever. And while I'm sure that understanding how enemy percentages plays a role in chemistry, it's still besides the basic point that I don't think your study shows what you were trying to show.

Intertype relationships in socionics focus on actual psychological compatibility, which is related to, but not identical to the kinds of relationship preferences that match percentages indicate on OKC. The value of your study from what I can tell is providing some validity to the idea that there is some significance in the relationship between MBTI type and patterns of behavior. That validity of typology as a whole is challenged regularly enough that that's a fairly interesting finding.

It's also interesting to have some data around what constitutes true "nearest types" in MBTI. I don't think it would be obvious to most people that ENFxs are closer to ENTJs in terms of how they behave in relationships or what they value in partners than any of the other NT types. That's an insight that's intriguing enough to me without needing the data to say something it's not.

INTPs

I don't feel this current line of questioning relates to the initial point that I made whatsoever. And while I'm sure that understanding how enemy percentages plays a role in chemistry, it's still besides the basic point that I don't think your study shows what you were trying to show.

Intertype relationships in socionics focus on actual psychological compatibility, which is related to, but not identical to the kinds of relationship preferences that match percentages indicate on OKC. The value of your study from what I can tell is providing some validity to the idea that there is some significance in the relationship between MBTI type and patterns of behavior. That validity of typology as a whole is challenged regularly enough that that's a fairly interesting finding.

It's also interesting to have some data around what constitutes true "nearest types" in MBTI. I don't think it would be obvious to most people that ENFxs are closer to ENTJs in terms of how they behave in relationships or what they value in partners than any of the other NT types. That's an insight that's intriguing enough to me without needing the data to say something it's not.
    There's a version that calculated similarity: Most similar types (according to answers on OkCupid)

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp

There's a version that calculated similarity: Most similar types (according to answers on OkCupid)
    Well...now you have a solid companion to that initial study.

This is like that photocopier thing.

MBTI
    INFJ

Well, this is pretty good proof that type compatibility is a bullshit theory.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

My understanding of OKC match scores is that they are basically an indicator of how similar your romantic and lifestyle preferences are to other users'. In other words, they are a decent proxy for, rather than a true indicator of what your actual chemistry or even long-term compatibility with another person might be.

That being the case, it would make a lot of sense that those who share a type would have the highest "compatibilities" as they should theoretically share relationship preferences/styles as well.

More anecdotally, two of my longest term relationships were with guys with whom I had match scores in the 70% range. Anything above 90%, ime, and you just kind of slide right past each other as there's not enough friction to really create a spark.
    YES.

Someone gave me advice to not answer too many questions when using OKcupid. Back when I tried that site, I found that a good strategy. Even a match in the high 80s was not too identical, since I kept the questions to around 400-500 and only bothered with the more serious ones.

It's also based on what you think you like or would like, which is not necessarily how you experience and respond to other people, especially emotionally.

It's like seeing/hearing about a new food and thinking it sounds gross, but then you try it and really like it. Or you see a dish and think you'll like it, but then you find it rather bland or even yucky. What you think you will like is not how you necessarily end up experiencing something (including people...who are not food XD ), or there is stuff you'd never imagine you'd like or are okay with until you give it a shot. That's why the algorithm thing ends up failing for me.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe
    Likes Wind Up Rex, chubber liked this post

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    YES.

Someone gave me advice to not answer too many questions when using OKcupid. Back when I tried that site, I found that a good strategy. Even a match in the high 80s was not too identical, since I kept the questions to around 400-500 and only bothered with the more serious ones.

It's also based on what you think you like or would like, which is not necessarily how you experience and respond to other people, especially emotionally.

It's like seeing/hearing about a new food and thinking it sounds gross, but then you try it and really like it. Or you see a dish and think you'll like it, but then you find it rather bland or even yucky. What you think you will like is not how you necessarily end up experiencing something (including people...who are not food XD ), or there is stuff you'd never imagine you'd like or are okay with until you give it a shot. That's why the algorithm thing ends up failing for me.
    I appreciate the way that you said this. Attraction is such a fascinating thing, because of how complex the relationship can be between what we think we'd like and what we actually like.

It's like that eternal business of the known knowns, the known unknowns and the unknown unknowns. Someone could hit you super hard with something you didn't even know you wanted, much less know how to ask for it. And that unknown unknown desire could end up superseding whatever checklist of knowns you'd had prior to interacting with that person. You could have little in common in terms of preference, but strong mutual attraction and compatible interaction styles and still ultimately work it out.
    Likes OrangeAppled, chubber liked this post

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• :hi:
  • :bye:
  • :)
  • :smile:
  • :wubbie:
  • :D
  • :hug:
  • :happy2: