First 12345 Last

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

Quote Originally Posted by Legion View Post
    So you're saying that MBTI describes EVERYTHING there is to one's personality, there's nothing else?

I thought the general view was that MBTI is a part of personality, but that there are many other aspects to personality.

As a simple example, enneagram is personality, but enneagram is not MBTI. Therefore MBTI and personality do not equate.

Note that I am not saying whether I think MBTI type can change. It seems unlikely, but the whole theory seems somewhat unlikely too. So, idk.
    I'm not saying that at all. MBTI really doesn't explain much about a person IMO, and I treat it as a toy mostly. I see it's utility as quite low and inaccurate most of the time. What I was equating that MBTI does represent parts of a persons personality, and that physical trauma to the brain can change personality aspects.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Bknight View Post
    I've been wondering recently, especially after having read Ender's Game and watched parts of Iron Man 3 about whether or not a person's MBTI type can change as a result of serious trauma, physical, mental, or emotional.
    Barring actual braindamage, it seems neurologically unlikely that one's core personality will be changed in any short period of time. HOWEVER, non-physical trauma does induce major behavioral and thought changes and ultimately the brain can rewire itself - so over time I think it's possible that personality type may change, but unlikely. You're talking years of neurological conditioning - these aren't things that just get rewired overnight.
    Likes Noon liked this post

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I think emotional/mental trauma could totally change someone. Like, if you were in a situation for thirty years where you had to be quiet, dead serious, and plan your actions very carefully, you would adapt to those traits.

I've heard that some people who have been majorly depressed and took the MBTI test didn't get the same results as they did after they overcame their depression. I don't remember who it was, but someone who identifies as an ENFP thought they were an INTP.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LSI Se

Quote Originally Posted by Alomoes View Post
    Also, lol. LSD doesn't change who you are. It simply distorts your senses, at least as far as I know. Now same can't be as certain with others. Like those horrible ADHD meds. Turning me into a robot. You cannot. Maybe with some people, but not I.

Pretty much any memory forgetting thing will affect your personality, I think. Not sure, because if you are who you are, your lack of memory won't take that away.
    I've been through severe trauma which affected my memory - an illness which leaves a portion of my life completely blank. I've also taken ADD meds at one point and its effects were not even on the same spectrum as LSD. LSD really can change people, it can even bring out schizophrenia that would otherwise be latent for someone's whole life. Studies have shown it affects the brain a lot more severely than anything else you're listing. Yet I still agree, it doesn't change who you are. Neither do those other things , both of which I've experienced.
    Art is the blood of the Exile
    4w3 6w7 8w9 ~ Sx/Sp ~ ISTP ~ LSI-Se

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Animal View Post
    I've been through severe trauma which affected my memory - an illness which leaves a portion of my life completely blank. I've also taken ADD meds at one point and its effects were not even on the same spectrum as LSD. LSD really can change people, it can even bring out schizophrenia that would otherwise be latent for someone's whole life. Studies have shown it affects the brain a lot more severely than anything else you're listing. Yet I still agree, it doesn't change who you are. Neither do those other things , both of which I've experienced.
    ADHD meds would not make you an ENFP, if they made you anything. From what I understand they appear to exist to make EP types act more IJ to be easier to control in a classroom setting, and many traits of ADHD should first be treated by doing things like removing sugar and excess processed foods, and making sure the child gets exercise. However the oppositional defiant child who is almost impossible to control probably just needs his ass busted.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Hard View Post
    I'm not saying that at all. MBTI really doesn't explain much about a person IMO, and I treat it as a toy mostly. I see it's utility as quite low and inaccurate most of the time. What I was equating that MBTI does represent parts of a persons personality, and that physical trauma to the brain can change personality aspects.
    I think it says a lot, when the person is typed correctly (or very closely, maybe off by one weaker letter). Lets say you have an ESTP and ISFJ who are both interested in the medical field, but perhaps the ESTP would make a stronger, quick acting, cool headed EMT, and the ISFJ an efficient, caring, organized nurse. Both could easily be interested in health care or helping others, but excel in different ways. They use MBTI tests to hire at some companies. That may be going a bit far, but it could potentially save the person from being miserable doing what other people told them to do (parents, etc) and save the company loss of productivity and rapid turn over.

Of course not everything can be explained by MBTI. I am actually a SLUEI sometimes in Big Five, bit I definitely wouldn't say I have Ti because I can be hard headed about opinions or grouchy or argumentative. A person with Fi doesn't have Fe, first of all (big thing glossed over by Keirsey imo) and a person with Se doesn't have Si so may still be more "open" in Big Five so think they are an N. Pe types are actually the most "open" to experience.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by blahblahbob View Post
    Barring actual braindamage, it seems neurologically unlikely that one's core personality will be changed in any short period of time. HOWEVER, non-physical trauma does induce major behavioral and thought changes and ultimately the brain can rewire itself - so over time I think it's possible that personality type may change, but unlikely. You're talking years of neurological conditioning - these aren't things that just get rewired overnight.
    Yeah the plasticity of the brain can help improve memory or mental alertness or stave off dementia, but it also can lead to clinical depression or mood imbalances in people who experienced severe trauma due to rape or war or prolonged homelessness or abuse, or someone who had a series of events, like say death of loved one on top of already feeling lonely or having little support and other life changes, that person could fall into a chemical depression.

That does not affect personality type though. I mainly hear that happening from head trauma that leads to amnesia or coma, like the person literally wakes up with different preferences, interests, moods, etc.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    Yeah the plasticity of the brain can help improve memory or mental alertness or stave off dementia, but it also can lead to clinical depression or mood imbalances in people who experienced severe trauma due to rape or war or prolonged homelessness or abuse, or someone who had a series of events, like say death of loved one on top of already feeling lonely or having little support and other life changes, that person could fall into a chemical depression.

That does not affect personality type though. I mainly hear that happening from head trauma that leads to amnesia or coma, like the person literally wakes up with different preferences, interests, moods, etc.
    I don't know... part of me feels I would have been ENFP if I hadn't have been raped and molested by my youth pastor for over a year as a pre-teen and then told by the other pastors I was going to go to hell for it when I discovered that the youth pastor wasn't telling me the truth about it being "sacred." But I'm really not sure.

I have a very ENFP side to me in some situations.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by blahblahbob View Post
    I don't know... part of me feels I would have been ENFP if I hadn't have been raped and molested by my youth pastor for over a year as a pre-teen and then told by the other pastors I was going to go to hell for it when I discovered that the youth pastor wasn't telling me the truth about it being "sacred." But I'm really not sure.

I have a very ENFP side to me in some situations.
    Mmmm...yeah that's an extreme trauma at a young age, so it's possible, especially to drive you inward, not change the rest of your type. I am actually am ambivert in the context of traditional psychology (even normal psych does acknowledge introvert, ambivert and extrovert, and ambiverts are real, according to studies, and even Keirsey says E/I is least important).

Extroversion and introversion are on a scale, even on the big five I fall at practically neutral or average. I am very expressive but I need to be alone to recharge my batteries and like to control my personal environment. ..not through organization but having my own personal space and being able to do what I want to do on my own.

So you may be an ambivert, or you may be a depressed or anxious extrovert who guards themselves for self protection, and since extroverts need people to recharge, it could just make you feel more depressed.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    Mmmm...yeah that's an extreme trauma at a young age, so it's possible, especially to drive you inward, not change the rest of your type. I am actually am ambivert in the context of traditional psychology (even normal psych does acknowledge introvert, ambivert and extrovert, and ambiverts are real, according to studies, and even Keirsey says E/I is least important).

Extroversion and introversion are on a scale, even on the big five I fall at practically neutral or average. I am very expressive but I need to be alone to recharge my batteries and like to control my personal environment. ..not through organization but having my own personal space and being able to do what I want to do on my own.

So you may be an ambivert, or you may be a depressed or anxious extrovert who guards themselves for self protection, and since extroverts need people to recharge, it could just make you feel more depressed.
    I don't know, I grew up homeschooled so I never really got a chance to understand how I am.

I'm majorly fucked up so I'm probably not a good example of an INFP. But I guess I probably always have fallen on the introvert side. I don't really know - I was like a happy kid then I found out that what the youth pastor had taught me to do with him was going to "send me to hell" and - bam - never been happy since and always been terrified of putting myself out there.