User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ENFJ

Default Introversion versus Extroversion

Okay, I'm going to go all BlueWing on you -- not with all these posts against F-ery, but rather post a long thing about a theory.

I remember what BlueWing said about 'passionate' versus 'intellectual' people, and then I found this when I was later looking up information about introversion versus extroversion:

Brain differences

Eysenck proposed that extraversion was caused by variability in cortical arousal; "introverts are characterized by higher levels of activity than extraverts and so are chronically more cortically aroused than extraverts". Because extraverts are less aroused internally, they require more external stimulation than introverts. This theory may be backed up by evidence that the brains of extraverts are more responsive to dopamine than those of introverts. Other evidence of this stimulation hypothesis is that introverts salivate more than extraverts in response to a drop of lemon juice.

One study found that introverts have more blood flow in the frontal lobes of their brain and the anterior or frontal thalamus, which are areas dealing with internal processing, such as planning and problem solving. Extraverts have more blood flow in the anterior cingulate gyrus, temporal lobes, and posterior thalamus, which are involved in sensory and emotional experience. This study and other research indicates that introversion-extraversion is related to individual differences in brain function.
    Anyway. Does this look familiar?

In Myers Briggs, there are 8 proposed introverted types. Not all of them seem to fit the profile of the traditional introvert. The scale of extroversion and introversion is measured with two variables -- the amount of sensory stimulation one needs and the amount of time one needs to spend with other people.

Because of this, I propose that Myers-Briggs 'introversion' and 'extroversion' is definitely not the same as traditional introversion and extroversion -- which is misleading, considering how so many places define them and the questions used to figure out 'introversion' and 'extroversion' in the dichotomies tests.

The part of Myers-Briggs that weights most heavily towards introversion would be N, because of the need for so much less sensory data than S types. Here's how the breakdown seems to be, in order of most importance to least importance:

N versus S. S needs more sensory data, and will therefore seek it.

T versus F. F is explicitly related to people and will therefore seek them, whereas T is not. However, Fe weights towards extroversion much more than Fi.

I versus E. Whether an introverted function or an extroverted function dominates colors the person's worldview and would push them towards either extroversion or introversion.

P versus J. Carries the least weight, but somebody with an extroverted judging function in the first two slots will need to exert more influence over their world and will seek out more cooperation than someone with an introverted judging function.

So, according to this, this would put ESFJs (or at least ESFs) at the very top of the extroversion scale, an INTPs (or at least INTs) at the very bottom. Here's a list of how the extroversion-to-introversion scale would go, I estimate, from most extroverted to most introverted.

ESFJ
    ESFP
    ESTJ
    ESTP
    ISFJ
    ENFJ
    ISFP
    ENTJ
    ISTJ
    ISTP
    ENFP
    INFJ
    ENTP
    INFP
    INTJ
    INTP

It's a bit more mixed than BlueWing's list, but who knows, this is just a guess. He may have meant something completely different. This list isn't to say that those at the very bottom cannot act extroverted and the ones at the top cannot be forced into introversion, but this is a basic scale. Feel free to suggest adjustments.

So, because of this scale, being an 'introvert' or an 'extrovert' in terms of Meyers Briggs only has a little influence on whether you're considered an 'introvert' or 'extrovert' by society. Because of this, I would believe the statistics that say, according to Myers Briggs, introverts are the majority, while a lot of other non-Myers Briggs statistics say that extroverts outnumber introverts two to one.

So. Enjoy.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    ENFP

So this means I'm pretty introverted, or at least in the way I think?
    It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on his not understanding it.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by VanillaCat View Post
    So this means I'm pretty introverted, or at least in the way I think?
    In the way you behave... I think.

ENFPs may be pretty extroverted, but from what I've noticed they're pretty selective about who they extrovert with. Also, their extroversion seems to be more in thought (like talking a lot) rather than action (going out to do active things a lot)

MBTI
    ENFP

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    In the way you behave... I think.

ENFPs may be pretty extroverted, but from what I've noticed they're pretty selective about who they extrovert with. Also, their extroversion seems to be more in thought (like talking a lot) rather than action (going out to do active things a lot)
    That makes so much sense! Here I was thinking, "How can I be extroverted when I don't even want to go to that town food party...?" Yet, I can talk to someone on the phone for two hours, with someone who usually only has 2 minute conversations. I've heard that maybe 30 times in my life. "I never talk this much with anyone!" Makes me feel special.
    It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on his not understanding it.

MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Quote Originally Posted by VanillaCat View Post
    That makes so much sense! Here I was thinking, "How can I be extroverted when I don't even want to go to that town food party...?" Yet, I can talk to someone on the phone for two hours, with someone who usually only has 2 minute conversations. I've heard that maybe 30 times in my life. "I never talk this much with anyone!" Makes me feel special.
    That describes me pretty well too.
    In my case, it is also that I have some pretty strong interests (such as MBTI) and I kind of don't have any friends who are curious enough about it to have a deep conversation on the subject with.. so I'm online a lot.

I am thrill-seeking but I don't have to be active all the time to be happy.
    MBTI Type: iNTj
    Enneagram Type: 3w4 sp/sx

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

You codified what I had generally observed and assumed -- particularly, that ESFJs are the consummate socialites. Nicely done, Haphazard.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Flip that list and it becomes the list of types represented on this forum from highest proportion to lowest, or damn close. I'm tempted to check...
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by runvardh View Post
    Flip that list and it becomes the list of types represented on this forum from highest proportion to lowest, or damn close. I'm tempted to check...
    Makes sense. Introverts are more likely to squander their time on the internet than going out there and seeking more intense stimulation.

MBTI
    ABCD
    Enneagram
    4 sx/so
    Socionics
    SEI

Meh. Iono. I'm insanely introverted.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine View Post
    Meh. Iono. I'm insanely introverted.
    She didn't say it was the rule, just a guideline that the average seems to follow.
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]