• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

A compliment from each type

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4
A conversation elsewhere on TypeC about compliments has led me to recalling incidents with various types in real life. The following people are real and their words are too. After reading them, think about what things in others tend to bring out your approval? And if you were to compliment someone on something how would it sound? Also, be sure to state your type. Here are following things each of these types has spoken to me, meaning them to be a compliment. Do they ring true to your type?

ISTJ (teacher) ...Thank you for being here early.

ISFJ (teacher)....I am impressed with your documentation.

ISFP (friend/acquaintance) ...I love it when you spend time with me.

INTP (cousin)...You're not ugly in that top.

INFP (close friend).....I hang out with you because you're not fake. I hate fake people.

ENTP (martial arts instructor/teacher/friend).....if I had your talent for making people like me, I could get them to do anything I wanted. You'd make the perfect assassin if you weren't genuinely sweet.

ENFJ(musician/artist/con-man)....thanks for making me look good up there tonight.

ENTJ (friend)....you told the truth up there tonight. You said exactly what I believe.

ESFP(teacher)...OMG...like that is the cutest outfit...ever.

ENFP (boss)....oh, that was so inspiring. I've just got so many ideas from it!

INTJ (grandmaster, martial arts) You looked hot in your regalia. (Was referring to seeing me at a pow-wow, came because I was there.)

ESTJ(INFP friend's husband) Damn, you look fine in those jeans. I don't mean nothin' by it. I just tell it like I see it.

ESFJ (teacher) thanks for being here, for being dependable.

ISTP (training partner, very close friend) I'm glad you hid my kniives in your purse. Thanks.

ESTP(sister) haha! Who'd have thought somebody could look good in such a crazy outfit?

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Thank you to

-people who aren't easily bored

-people who aren't afraid to look at themselves

-people who meet me at the time we agreed upon

-INFJ

grey_beard

The Typing Tabby
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
--Your honesty is important to me.
--You allowed me to be myself.
--I'd peg your IQ at xxx (very high number).
--You went beyond the call of duty.
--You told me what you were really thinking.
--You corrected my privately with respect for my dignity.

...I'm an INTJ.

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Thanks for:

• being a good friend
  • keeping me on track
  • going on adventures with me
  • sharing your thoughts and feelings
-ENFP :D

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
A conversation elsewhere on TypeC about compliments has led me to recalling incidents with various types in real life. The following people are real and their words are too. After reading them, think about what things in others tend to bring out your approval? And if you were to compliment someone on something how would it sound? Also, be sure to state your type. Here are following things each of these types has spoken to me, meaning them to be a compliment. Do they ring true to your type?

ISTJ (teacher) ...Thank you for being here early.

ISFJ (teacher)....I am impressed with your documentation.

ISFP (friend/acquaintance) ...I love it when you spend time with me.

INTP (cousin)...You're not ugly in that top.

INFP (close friend).....I hang out with you because you're not fake. I hate fake people.

ENTP (martial arts instructor/teacher/friend).....if I had your talent for making people like me, I could get them to do anything I wanted. You'd make the perfect assassin if you weren't genuinely sweet.

ENFJ(musician/artist/con-man)....thanks for making me look good up there tonight.

ENTJ (friend)....you told the truth up there tonight. You said exactly what I believe.

ESFP(teacher)...OMG...like that is the cutest outfit...ever.

ENFP (boss)....oh, that was so inspiring. I've just got so many ideas from it!

INTJ (grandmaster, martial arts) You looked hot in your regalia. (Was referring to seeing me at a pow-wow, came because I was there.)

ESTJ(INFP friend's husband) Damn, you look fine in those jeans. I don't mean nothin' by it. I just tell it like I see it.

ESFJ (teacher) thanks for being here, for being dependable.

ISTP (training partner, very close friend) I'm glad you hid my kniives in your purse. Thanks.

ESTP(sister) haha! Who'd have thought somebody could look good in such a crazy outfit?

I'm impressed that you've had all those types say those things to you. Most of them are very type typical.

LOL, yes, I've paid similar compliments a few times.....

small.wonder

So she did.
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It may be stingy but I'm not very free with compliments. I'm getting better, but for a long time I only gave approval if both A) I meant it genuinely and B) the person exuded humility. Now I try to drop the second requirement, but it's challenging.

As infrequent as it happens, the things I usual compliment for are:
- You are refreshingly genuine, thank you for being real.
- You are self aware, and can see clearly the good and bad-- I so appreciate that!
- You are very talented at _______, I really enjoyed watching you perform/play/etc.
- You have walked a hard road, but have healed and grown! That is so inspiring, thanks for sharing your story with me.
- I really appreciate this (aesthetic thing) that you've done.

My favorite way to compliment is through a written note.

I am INfj.

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4
I'm impressed that you've had all those types say those things to you. Most of them are very type typical.

LOL, yes, I've paid similar compliments a few times.....

Thanks. I wear a lot of different hats so I meet a lot of different kinds of people.

Also, I'm so glad you identified with my ENTP's compliment.

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4
It may be stingy but I'm not very free with compliments. I'm getting better, but for a long time I only gave approval if both A) I meant it genuinely and B) the person exuded humility. Now I try to drop the second requirement, but it's challenging.

As infrequent as it happens, the things I usual compliment for are:
- You are refreshingly genuine, thank you for being real.
- You are self aware, and can see clearly the good and bad-- I so appreciate that!
- You are very talented at _______, I really enjoyed watching you perform/play/etc.
- You have walked a hard road, but have healed and grown! That is so inspiring, thanks for sharing your story with me.
- I really appreciate this (aesthetic thing) that you've done.

My favorite way to compliment is through a written note.

I am INfj.

Thanks for these replies small.wonder.

It does make sense that you would favor a written note.

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4
[MENTION=17945]Nixie[/MENTION] The people who not easily bored stands out to me. I'm curious. Do you mean people who don't get bored mid conversation or with what you're doing?

[MENTION=17131]Chanaynay[/MENTION] my boss is ENFP and one of her biggest things, wants, etc., is for someone to kindly (not in a snide, mean or condescending way, is to help her stay on track. I found it important that this made your list.

[MENTION=20856]grey_beard[/MENTION] those are all things I like to be complimented for and that I appreciate in others, especially the one about correcting a person privately.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
No, it doesnt really ring true for me. I don't think the obsession with fakeness is as Fi as people think.

I'm terrible with giving compliments, generally finding it hard to express what I appreciate about people.
Outside of generic compliments on people's style or good food, some things I've said:

- you are a wonderful friend. I always know you have the best intentions
- you always put a lot of thought and care into what you do
- thanks for taking the time to ----; I know how busy you are
- it's really inspiring how you----

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[MENTION=16382]Ene[/MENTION], I was thinking about people who can get into a good conversation about ideas, those who don't need a physically stimulating subject to sustain their interest or be convinced of its relevance. My word choice wasn't exact. But I also appreciate those who can eventually bring the abstract discussion back to an actionable place or plan in the end.

I'm listing things that I appreciate in others, not necessarily have given compliments on, which I don't do too often.

One compliment I have given recently was along the lines of, "The idea of you keeping a secret from me just seems absurd, and so does the reverse."

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4
[MENTION=16382]Ene[/MENTION], I was thinking about people who can get into a good conversation about ideas, those who don't need a physically stimulating subject to sustain their interest or be convinced of its relevance. My word choice wasn't exact. But I also appreciate those who can eventually bring the abstract discussion back to an actionable place or plan in the end.

I'm listing things that I appreciate in others, not necessarily have given compliments on, which I don't do too often.

One compliment I have given recently was along the lines of, "The idea of you keeping a secret from me just seems absurd, and so does the reverse."

Thanks for clarifying. I get what you mean now.

[MENTION=6561]OrangeAppled[/MENTION] My friend owns a business in a small town and has to deal with a lot of fake and two-faced people. So, it's an issue for her. It may have more to do with that than with type.

I especially relate to the second and third statements on your list. I appreciate those things in people, too.

OneLovelyAdventure

Gryffindor Prefect
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I love this! Especially the INTP's, lol. Gotta love 'em. The ENFP boss rings pretty true to something I'd say, although the ESFP, ESFJ, and ISFP also sound like things I'd say.

laterlazer

good, hot, fresh, fly ~
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
INTP here.
Lol I've probably said things along the line of the INTP's to family members, or anyone I'm comfortable with actually. I don't give out compliments naturally usually. But some things I've probably said:

'You can pull off any look you want.' - I didn't mean this as a compliment, just a general statement but the person took it that way so I guess it can go here.
'That's actually a good idea.' I rarely admit to someone having a better idea than me regarding something, so if I say this it's a compliment lol :p
'I love how you're so passionate about...' I usually say this in a joking manner and people usually think I'm mocking them, but I genuinely mean it as a compliment, I love how some people are so driven.

Okay I honestly can't think of any more compliments I've given now, but I guess things I appreciate would be someone being comfortable to be themselves, people that think really quick on their feet, when people come up with really out of the box ideas that may have never crossed my mind.

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4
INTP here.
Lol I've probably said things along the line of the INTP's to family members, or anyone I'm comfortable with actually. I don't give out compliments naturally usually. But some things I've probably said:

'You can pull off any look you want.' - I didn't mean this as a compliment, just a general statement but the person took it that way so I guess it can go here.
'That's actually a good idea.' I rarely admit to someone having a better idea than me regarding something, so if I say this it's a compliment lol :p
'I love how you're so passionate about...' I usually say this in a joking manner and people usually think I'm mocking them, but I genuinely mean it as a compliment, I love how some people are so driven.

Okay I honestly can't think of any more compliments I've given now, but I guess things I appreciate would be someone being comfortable to be themselves, people that think really quick on their feet, when people come up with really out of the box ideas that may have never crossed my mind.

Thanks for sharing these! My cousin may not mean things as a compliment, but that's as close as he ever comes and he means it so I count it. Haha

[MENTION=23396]OneLovelyAdventure[/MENTION] thanks for your input and affirmation on ENFP. My boss is hilarious at times. I think she would be a fine actress and comedian.

Qre:us

"I've never looked at it that way/thought about it that way. Huh." :content:
"You're stronger than you think. Trust me, I'm always right." :D
"You're right." :p
"That response was too perfect to taint it with a comeback. Nice!" :happy0065:
"That's a pretty awesome idea!!"
"You've intrigued me."
"I'm in!!"
"You inspire me."
"Don't let it go to your head, but nice job."
"Teach me."
*bubbling with genuine laughter* (if you can make me laugh affectionately, it's high compliment)

Me: "I think I'll keep you. Store you in a secret place where no one else will find you because if they find you, it's inevitable that you'll be stolen."
Their response: "You're scaring me."
Me: "Scared enough to want to be stolen?"
Them: *pause* No.
Me: "Good, then. In you go." (an action of putting into a pocket over the heart) <- I didn't know such a silly and ridiculously cheesy conversation had that much of an effect, until the person reminisced about it often to me, in fond terms.
- ENTP