• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Jungian functions and Freudian 3 parts of personality

hjgbujhghg

I am
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Jung based a lot of his work on Freud's earlier research and discoveries, so there must be a correlation between the 8 cognitive functions and id, ego and super ego. What do you people think? Where are the correlations? Taking the things very generalized, id - would be irrational extroverts (Ne and Se) - irrational seeking for external stimuli, without a need to classify them and random usage of external reality in order the fill the basic primary needs of psyche and the perception of the environment. The id experience is however different for Ne and Se.
ego - rational introverts (Ti and Fi) "The ego is your interface to reality. It exists in both the conscious mind and the pre-conscious mind. This is the part of your mind that's responsible for rational decision-making. It utilizes "secondary process thinking", which acts to rationally get what you want." However Ti and Fi experience the ego process differently.
super-ego: rational extroverts (Te and Fe) "It contains all your standards of right and wrong. Contrary to popular belief, this isn't just the conscience. It contains the ego ideal and the conscience, and they're two sides of the same coin. The ego ideal is the summation of all positive behaviors. A good example might be "sharing" or "being helpful.""
Therefore irrational introverts are aslo probably mostly ego based types. (Ni and Si users)
Do you people see this as possible? Whould you agree on this kind of correlation?

When you mix up the MBTI function in we'd get a full type:

ESTJ ( Te+Si) super ego+ego, EStP (Se+Ti) Id+ego , ENFP (Ne +Fi) Id+ego , ESFJ (Fe+Si) super ego + ego and so on ...

Can you relate to this?

Researcher

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
bad
You are a bit off... in my humble opinion ;)

If you haven't already done so, reading "Beyond the pleasure principle" helps, its a small book from Freud, quick read. Thats were he introduces/explains his ID/ego/superego model.
Then you can read it in his own words without all the internet bias and perversion of the original.

---
I have read that little book a long time ago, but what I have roughly remembered about it:

The Id is instant gratification. So that points to perception (which is instantly experienced, without judgement) and probably S (because N looks beyond the moment) , and more specifically: Se because its about enjoyment/gratification/living-in-the-moment etc.
Freud compares that to a baby who can't wait and wants it all now.

The ego was explained by freud with "his hypothetical baby" becoming smarter about the instant gratification of the ID, something like intelligence according to freud. He means that eventually the learning baby will judge about its perception, like "thinking about it, before doing it". Thus this points to judgement and most probably specifically T, in my humble opinion.

The superego, is about group logic, the group mind, the herd, cultural values, etc. The superego is the bigger ego your own ego belongs to. Thus your bigger ego is the group you belong to. And making judgements based on that, tends to be on the F side of things.

I think Freud didn't see a spot for N in his id/ego/superego model unfortunately, if you would subscribe to my above conversion. (or maybe all perception functions, including N would simply just be included in his ID, as Freud might have been a Judger thinking all Perceivers are just primitive babies)

Basically Freud thought everyone is the same and everyone begins as a "stupid perception/Se-like baby", and that other functions are superior, which smart people will learn later.
And Jung was against such fixed views (such as saying one way is stupid and the other is smart) , thats why Jung had to abandon Freud. Jung basically said "thats just how Freud thinks", since Freud is just 1 type, but there is more types!