User Tag List

First 7891011 Last

Quote Originally Posted by GarrotTheThief View Post

DATS WHAT I WAS ASKIN FOR DOUGH

Alpha (hobbits) = +Si = positive feelings of comfort. They cannot effectively realize their potential if their lifestyle is full of hardships. Style of activity is characterized by relaxation, freedom, by conveniences. Relations with the external environment, where their activities unfold, must be friendly and pleasant. Their groups are always comfortable, relaxed as if at home, and never rough or eccentric.

Delta (elves) = -Si = minmization of discomfort. They value good working conditions and are reluctant to change their routines. This element excludes harmful influences from external environment. This quadra cannot work during emergencies. They highly value convenience, comfort at their workplace, and good coordination at work.

Duh!
    Likes GarrotTheThief, Opal, cm81 liked this post

The Green Jolly Robin H.
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Arcana View Post

Alpha (hobbits) = +Si = positive feelings of comfort. They cannot effectively realize their potential if their lifestyle is full of hardships. Style of activity is characterized by relaxation, freedom, by conveniences. Relations with the external environment, where their activities unfold, must be friendly and pleasant. Their groups are always comfortable, relaxed as if at home, and never rough or eccentric.

Delta (elves) = -Si = minmization of discomfort. They value good working conditions and are reluctant to change their routines. This element excludes harmful influences from external environment. This quadra cannot work during emergencies. They highly value convenience, comfort at their workplace, and good coordination at work.

Duh!
    for those just chirping in we have decided that:

SI applies to both ELVES AND HOBBITS

and OR

ELVES ARE DEFINATELY SI no matter what hobbits are, even if they are SE.

SO what chars in LOTR or THE HOBBIT ARE se?

let me guess orcs?

"i shut the door and in the morning
    it was open
    -the end"

Olemn slammed his hammer and from the sparks on the metal of his anvil came the spheres of the heavens.

Sayrah blew life into the spheres and they moved. From her wheel she weaved the names of people in to mystery.

for those just chirping in we have decided that:

SI applies to both ELVES AND HOBBITS

and OR

ELVES ARE DEFINATELY SI no matter what hobbits are, even if they are SE.

SO what chars in LOTR or THE HOBBIT ARE se?

let me guess orcs?

Yes, dwarves and orcs and dragons, because Tolkien was obviously an Se polr.
    Likes GarrotTheThief liked this post

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Oaky View Post
    Ah, chanaynay.
    My initial (offtopic) post was meant to be seen as a bit of fun. Not taken seriously at all yet you've replied in a slightly offensive manner which perhaps means you took slight offence. This thread in itself is a fun little thread made with the intention of enjoyment more than seriousness. You've started resorting to indirect insults to people you don't know so I'm not currently going to continue this conversation as it was not intended.
    i can't tell if this is serious or not either way i was joking too...its pretty obvious tbh

but either way now that i've had to explain myself this isn't fun anymore. peace thread.
    7w6 - 2w3 - 8w7 sx/so

Likes Oaky, GarrotTheThief liked this post

The Green Jolly Robin H.
    MBTI
    ENTJ

I still think it's possible a few of the elves might be SE...I refuse to believe a few of them aren't SE...and they are all SI.
    "i shut the door and in the morning
    it was open
    -the end"

Olemn slammed his hammer and from the sparks on the metal of his anvil came the spheres of the heavens.

Sayrah blew life into the spheres and they moved. From her wheel she weaved the names of people in to mystery.
    Likes Oaky liked this post

I still think it's possible a few of the elves might be SE...I refuse to believe a few of them aren't SE...and they are all SI.
    Galadriel is Se > Si.

MBTI
    ENTP

I agree, Garrot. I think most races have more than one, maybe even several, dominant function preferences, you just have to look hard enough.
    Likes GarrotTheThief liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

There are extraverted elves and introverted elves and J elves and P elves. But all elves are NFs.

And hobbits are S's but otherwise come in all varieties. Merry and Pippin are not SJs.

And Gandalf is an INTJ, natch.

I hope this clears things up.
    Likes cm81, GarrotTheThief liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

What in the hell did I stumble into?

Also, I was pretty sure Frodo Baggins was an INFJ.
    Likes cm81, GarrotTheThief, Opal liked this post

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp

Default TLDR - Elves: Se; Hobbits: Si

Quote Originally Posted by Opal View Post
    I'm not sure I follow ?

Likely wasn't for you then, kitten.

Quote Originally Posted by BadOctopus View Post
    What in the hell did I stumble into?

Also, I was pretty sure Frodo Baggins was an INFJ.
    Sometimes we're rambly ambly through the shambly side streets. At times it's easier to take the bus. Myself, I'm more of a Lyft girl, but that's just code for "too broke for Uber".

But to speak more to the point, I find elves pretentious and hobbits too earnest--they're both equally distasteful in their own precious ways. What I remember of the books, elvish society was elevated and highly structured. Excessive regard for manners and culture typically belies a ruthlessness in core culture. The seemingly mindless observation of social ritual casts a sanitizing lull over the beastliness of the highborn's true nature. While high culture and deep tradition have a naive association with Si, if you buy into this theory of the purpose of such things, then social ritual is in reality fundamentally driven by the tactile and now-oriented nature of Se.

Hobbits, otoh, are creatures of comfort. They live in cozy burrows. They don't make a fuss. They are conservative in their imaginations unless otherwise compelled. This is because the Hobbits remember, and new information must be evaluated against these recollections. They're riding on that Si tip, in other words. You can make the argument that Tolkien choose Hobbits as his protagonist rather than any other race, because of the way that their descriptions would embody a primarily British audience's notion of the "known". The best fantasy leverages the hero's journey such that the audience can experience their own inner landscape writ epic by dent of the extraordinary stakes of a quest undertaken by one not so different than themselves. Fantasy heroes are literatures' blank slates and basic bitches for a reason. If you can't even Mary Sue, then the narrative's failed at its most basic task.
    And so long as you haven’t experienced this: to die and so to grow,
    you are only a troubled guest on the dark earth
    Likes GarrotTheThief, cm81 liked this post