• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] What type is the most judgmental of other people?

What types are the most judgmental of others?

• Total voters

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What type do you think is the most judgmental of others? It seems like the most obvious answer that will come to many people's minds are Te doms. Maybe J types. Maybe Te types in general. Maybe Fe doms. They are more likely to come across forcefully. Is it true though? Are they really the most judgy types?

I'm going to posit that individuals with a judging function at the top of their function stack are the most judgmental. ENTJs and ESTJs clearly fall into that category. Their Te judgments tend to be somewhat objective in nature - fueled by Ni in the case of the ENTJ and Si in the case of ESTJ. The ESTJ will appear to be more traditionally judgmental but both are equal in my opinion in their judginess. Then there are Fi doms, ISFPs and INFPs, whose judgments are driven by their own personal and subjective values. Those types are deceiving. The ISFP seems so easy going and the INFP's window to the outside world is Ne, which hardly comes across as judging. Yet they can make a decision on whether or not they like someone within 20 seconds. There are the Ti doms, ISTP and INTP - I see them as less judgmental about people. I don't know. They are more wrapped up in their logic or frameworks to be as judging of people? Finally, there are the Fe doms. I don't really know many Fe doms so I can't say much there.

The judgments that tend to make me the most uncomfortable are those that aren't based in reality. Se and Si types are by nature more connected to reality, so I can get comfortable or at least understanding of their judgments. Even in those situations where I think they are wrong, I can understand them. What makes me more uncomfortable are those driven by intuition and those that are subjective because I don't understand the reasoning. I say this with full knowledge that I prefer Ni and Fi. To me, INFPs are the most judgmental though I believe this is not at all obvious to those that don't know them well.

I guess the whole idea of this thread sounds judgmental. But I'm only putting forth a theory. I haven't actually decided anything yet :)

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm not all that judgmental of people, or at least I try not to be.

Sometimes my tendency to notice minutia and details in others' appearance, actions, etc, can lead people to mistake me for a very judgmental person, but I'm usually just pointing out what is obvious to me, not making value/moral judgments or that sort of thing.

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I... can be very judgmental. It's a horrid habit, and I have to work constantly on it. I tend to see things in neutral, objective terms, and when I encounter someone who is easily led by their emotions when making decisions, I automatically peg them as flighty and unstable. Even though I know that not everyone sees the world the way I do, and my way is not necessarily the best way.

I'm trying to be more understanding and less judgmental. But I'm a work in progress.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I just fixed the poll. Fe doms were listed incorrectly.

Here is an example that I thought of with Ti doms and it relates to performance evaluations. I have seen a few Ti doms facilitate performance evaluation processes. It is like they establish a framework for making decisions and they facilitate the process around that framework. There is incredible consistency to it. It's good because it's very objective. I find that Ti doms (INTPs anyway) have a tendency to operate this way and they can be excellent facilitators. I've also seen some cases of inflexibility where the framework doesn't particularly apply or fit in a given circumstance and they will try and apply it anyway. Are they personally judgy about people though? I don't know. It doesn't come across to me as strongly.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I... can be very judgmental. It's a horrid habit, and I have to work constantly on it. I tend to see things in neutral, objective terms, and when I encounter someone who is easily led by their emotions when making decisions, I automatically peg them as flighty and unstable. Even though I know that not everyone sees the world the way I do, and my way is not necessarily the best way.

I'm trying to be more understanding and less judgmental. But I'm a work in progress.

Somebody said I was judgmental the other day which was partially the impetus for starting the thread. I have never thought of myself to be particularly so but maybe I'm wrong. Ni which converges + Te could combine to create that. What might make it worse is our less than tactful communication at times - at least with respect to creating this perception.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i gotta go with Te doms. they seem the least sensitive with their judgements. at least Fe doms have that feely aspect that can be a little warmer.

Myshkin14

MBTI Type
INFJ
I find SJ to be most judgmental/condemning and TP types to be most critical.

Last edited:

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4
I think ESTJs and ENTJs have a tendency to pass judgement quickly.

I know several ESTJs and get along well with them, but I always keep in mind that there are some issues we just cannot discuss, depending on which ESTJ I'm talking to at the time.

I have an ENTJ acquaintance. He tends to make a judgment quickly.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
I can't say much for observation of type as I tend not to type most people since it gets in the way of the people for me. Largely my issue of course.

But I notice I have a strong urge to make settled judgements while at the same time being ever unsure that I have enough information. It's a constant checkup procedure to prevent me from falling too often into the trap of assumption. Although it is draining.
My dad is an example of someone who is extremely judgemental in many ways. In fact it's always a surprise for the rest of his close family when friends remark upon his laid back nature, which we rarely get to see. Instead we are exposed to constant black and white divisions of right and wrong with no real allowance for rational debate.

For example upon discussing my latest work failure he omitted with finality that my issue was I didn't like criticism and couldn't deal with it. I said he was partially right and pointed out that it was what I saw as unhelpful criticism that I sometimes took issue with. If I'm working and someone is constantly telling me I'm incompetent, that's unhelpful, it's not telling me how or why I'm incompetent and what can be improved. And over time that just becomes a constant negative stream which I don't really understand that anyone should have to tolerate, sure they can if they want but it seems foolish and degrading to do so unless they are obligated by family or perhaps medical fees if you live somewhere that requires those. I then gave specific examples of this from various places I'd worked at. And I can accept that I'm too sensitive about things, no argument there. I also accept that there are times when I'm in a poor mood and just take things personally, but if we're not allowing a bit of humanity, what are we allowing?

My dad wouldn't have that half measure of reality, it was an absolute or nothing. I never once raised my voice when explaining this nor did I change from a neutral tone. But he got annoyed anyhow and I was deemed wrong when I didn't agree with him entirely. Maybe he thought I was being defensive?

Now I might peg him as ESJ but I sometimes think of him as ESTP with an overly defensive tendency towards Fe.

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
A lot of votes so far for the Te doms. I suppose that makes sense. As judgmental as I can be sometimes, I mostly keep my judging to myself. Maybe it's the extraversion that makes ExTJs seem more judgmental than others. In reality, maybe they're not more judgmental than the rest of us; they just seem that way because they're more vocal about it.

Mane

Permabanned
As a wide generalization of stereotypical tendencies that can probably be overcome by anyone of any type:
  • Ti are the most oblivious to the delivery & consequence of the judgements they pass.
  • Te doms pass judgment the quickest and are the most ruthless in expressing them.
  • Fi doms judgements are the least likely to actually matter or hold any relevance.
  • Fe doms are the most deliberate in how they will use their judgements against you.
  • Ni doms have the most unrealistic & inhuman standards when passing judgment.
  • Si doms pass judgement for the most nonsensical & unrelatable of reasons.
  • Se doms are the most tactless & gaudy with the judgements they pass.
  • Ne doms are the most ornery & obsessive about the judgments they pass.
So it really depends on what aspects of judgement you are the most resentful for having to deal with.

Edit: I voted Ne doms. Assuming I am one, then it's the judgement of an Ne dom that I have the least amount of leeway and choice about having to tolerate.

velveteen

Senior citizen
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm probably the most judgmental person I know, which is a pretty unattractive quality since I put myself in some kind of ivory tower position. This is something that especially my two closest friends (both INFP) really dislike about me. The good thing is that I don't think that people are inherently hopeless, so I expect them to change and live up to: 1) my ideal and 2) our social norms.

Hitoshi-San

MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
???
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I can be analytical or sarcastic in a way that seems judgemental, but I really don't mean to be that way. If I hear juicy news about someone or they divulge a big secret to me, unless it's something absolutely terrible, like they killed an innocent family of four, I just don't think about what I heard that often, or don't feel any different.

I have trouble trusting some ISxJs, just because I don't want to hear what condescending reply they have waiting for me if I let them read me like an open book. I've met a few really sweet ones though, so this isn't to say all of them are. I only know one ENTJ that is clearly an ENTJ (IRL) but he's very calculating and very much a know-it-all.

Opal Star

Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
xSTJs I believe. This is coming from an xSTJ.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Every type judges people for different sorts of things. Some may disagree, but INTPs can be very judgmental about semantics and details of spelling and language. I couldn't care about that. I tend to be rather easy breezy except when people are cruel and then I save it all for that. Also, I don't like it when people drive slow in front of me on entrance ramps or other behaviors that put me at physical risk because they don't make sense of the reality of the situation.