• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Ni] A Challenge to Ni users

doppelganger

MBTI Type
INTP
So, I've heard a few Ni-doms describe Ni as a "powerful" cognitive function. Supposedly, one of its powers is the ability to look into the future and foresee what will happen. YET, when you look at the real world, there are no ppl who can consistently predict what will happen in human affairs, no sage stock market forecasters, no prescient political pundits, no genius military leaders, no insightful intelligence agents who can tell us what is going to happen with any degree of consistency or reliability. Just look at 911. Where was the Ni-dom to tell us that was going to happen?

So, this is my challenge. Give us a demonstration of your Ni powers, right here, right now. Tell us something that is going to happen. And not just this one time. Not even twice. But consistently. Over time.

You can't do it. Not better than a flip of a coin.

As an aside, I have a INTJ friend who is a student of history, and he tells me that at critical junctures in history, when there was great upheaval and the future was uncertain, there typically was only one person who correctly foresaw how events would unfold--and sometimes there wasn't even one. And even when there was, successfully anticipating only one event is a poor test of real ability. It is beyond normal human powers to consistently anticipate the future. History shows this. As will this thread.

cm81

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Are you wanting to talk to Ni users, or the precogs?

GarrotTheThief

The Green Jolly Robin H.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
ni doesn't work like that for me. NI works when I memorize a bunch of details or facts - SE and then I need to know which one to use without going through each one and I just "kind of" know...but it requires diligence and I have a bad short term memory.

cm81

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
ni doesn't work like that for me. NI works when I memorize a bunch of details or facts - SE and then I need to know which one to use without going through each one and I just "kind of" know...but it requires diligence and I have a bad short term memory.

Whuzzzzzzup, NT

PocketFullOf

literally your mother
MBTI Type
NeTi
Enneagram
pot
I pretty much predicted the formation of isis.

DsTeP

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I saw the Ukraine/Russian relationship coming to the place that it is at today... back in 2010, and the formation of ISIS

Something that will happen: Is Religious people calling the end times to happen during their generation till the human species becomes nonexistent

cm81

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
There are layers. Patterns, all throughout history; lineages, systems, nations; processes; time. If you were to consider all of humanity one giant organism, where each individual were its systems (as in systems biology...),then you would see that our individual patterns are really microcosmic fragments of a whole. It takes a lot more than a few small intuitives to stop what they can't put their finger any better than those who might if they were paying attention; if they could discern the relationship between microscopic ecologies of mosses and the birthing of stars; but it lives in the atmosphere of their skin, burrowing holes through their hearts;if one finds themselves able to look away from the details, finding perspective in a much bigger picture at work, they'll be a lot less depressed for doing so. (As in any language, there usually are no direct translations; the entire meaning lost in the divide of schismatic cultures of heart and thought) Who knows.

Ni for an individual is that moment you know your dad is dying while watching him have the time of his life, and knowing it happened before the phone rings. It's knowing when someone misses you. It's knowing when they miss someone else. It's seeing the subtleties that poison the mind of a woman you don't know, like Amanita, felt in the air..vaguely backed up by a few indiscernible glances so low their closest friends don't even notice. Your stomach turns but there's nothing you can do about it; you don't know but you can feel it. You can't explain it, there's nothing rational about it. Until you find out why.

PocketFullOf

literally your mother
MBTI Type
NeTi
Enneagram
pot
Your stomach turns but there's nothing you can do about it; you don't know but you can feel it. You can't explain it, there's nothing rational about it. Until you find out why.
thisss

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
This thread is like going to a bunch of programmers and demanding they hack the NSA.

BlackDog

MBTI Type
NiTe
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I predict that sometime within the next 15 years the United States will embark upon a major war, which it will win. Right now we perceive that the U.S. debt and such will down its global position; this is illusory. The U.S. will continue to rise, and will continue to dominate the globe for much of the next century.

How is that for a prediction?

grey_beard

The Typing Tabby
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So, I've heard a few Ni-doms describe Ni as a "powerful" cognitive function. Supposedly, one of its powers is the ability to look into the future and foresee what will happen. YET, when you look at the real world, there are no ppl who can consistently predict what will happen in human affairs, no sage stock market forecasters, no prescient political pundits, no genius military leaders, no insightful intelligence agents who can tell us what is going to happen with any degree of consistency or reliability. Just look at 911. Where was the Ni-dom to tell us that was going to happen?

So, this is my challenge. Give us a demonstration of your Ni powers, right here, right now. Tell us something that is going to happen. And not just this one time. Not even twice. But consistently. Over time.

You can't do it. Not better than a flip of a coin.

As an aside, I have a INTJ friend who is a student of history, and he tells me that at critical junctures in history, when there was great upheaval and the future was uncertain, there typically was only one person who correctly foresaw how events would unfold--and sometimes there wasn't even one. And even when there was, successfully anticipating only one event is a poor test of real ability. It is beyond normal human powers to consistently anticipate the future. History shows this. As will this thread.

I'm going to ignore the f*** out of you after this post. ;)

GarrotTheThief

The Green Jolly Robin H.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I once told my friend that a celebrity died as a joke and then the next day the celebrity passed away and it was on the news and my friend was wondering htf i knew. He went so far as to assume someone in my family was a journalist working for the media.

It was just a guess really...I didn't know. Not a good joke really but I was very young and naive and reckless with my sentiments.

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
But I don't believe in Ni powers.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ni works best for me in familiar situations. It seems to chew on everything in my subconscious - including things I forgot, or didn't realize the significance of when I saw/did them. For me to predict some event on the world stage, I would probably need a level of familiarity with that situation or part of the world that exceeds what I have.

In this spirit, there probably were people in our government who predicted 9/11, they just were so far from the ear of those in authority, that their warnings were essentially ignored. (Tom Clancy's novels contain some good fictional examples of people having these types of insight based on years of study of the relevant issues and players.)

PocketFullOf

literally your mother
MBTI Type
NeTi
Enneagram
pot
Ni works best for me in familiar situations. It seems to chew on everything in my subconscious - including things I forgot, or didn't realize the significance of when I saw/did them. For me to predict some event on the world stage, I would probably need a level of familiarity with that situation or part of the world that exceeds what I have.

In this spirit, there probably were people in our government who predicted 9/11, they just were so far from the ear of those in authority, that their warnings were essentially ignored. (Tom Clancy's novels contain some good fictional examples of people having these types of insight based on years of study of the relevant issues and players.)

People act like 911 is such an anomaly. I was only 11 at the time, and I know hindsight is 20/20 (or maybe more like 20/10 for N types) but after studying history and political science it mystifies me that no one could see this coming. The rise of the far right and the rise of Islamic extremism are not mutually exclusive, they are parallel and thrive on each other. And it's not like I'm talking out of my ass or I am trying to act smart while I'm really reading the answers off a teleprompter, I pretty much predicted trouble in Egypt and the formation of ISIS, and the way I came by it is not mysterious at all...if you are informed on the way certain things work and you have a premonition that something specific will happen, just think about it, try to rationalize it, because there is probably a good reason you feel that way, and most people are skilled enough in the art of rational logical thought to realize why they do.

boomslang

friendly and accessible
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ni extrapolates from the information stored by the person. It's very possible that a Ni type could predict 9/11 had they had the information available that the American government did.

I think the types with Te and Ni paired are better at predicting sequences of events. Fe and Ni would be better suited to predicting people and the actions they'll take. But to my knowledge, both can be decent at both types of prediction for different reasons.

doppelganger

MBTI Type
INTP
Ni extrapolates from the information stored by the person. It's very possible that a Ni type could predict 9/11 had they had the information available that the American government did.

I think the types with Te and Ni paired are better at predicting sequences of events. Fe and Ni would be better suited to predicting people and the actions they'll take. But to my knowledge, both can be decent at both types of prediction for different reasons.

So there weren't any INTJs in gov't intelligence?

- - - Updated - - -

Are you wanting to talk to Ni users, or the precogs?

Ni users, doms and auxs mainly but others can chime in if they like.