User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Results 21 to 30 of 33

  1. #21
    Member cameo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Posts
    36

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by reckful View Post
    I don't consider Michael Pierce a good MBTI source.
    That's totally fair. I'm not that familiar with the guy in general, I just think that those two specific articles defined the differences between INTJ and ISTJ in such a way that helped me figure it out. Of course, it wasn't that I read those two things in isolation in deciding, so it's not that I think he's the be-all, end-all of typology sources or anything. It's just that there are so many other sources where the descriptions only serve to confuse me in identifying my own type because they essentially make INTJs sound like smarter and "better" than ISTJs. Obviously I know that it's not true that one is "better" than the other or that INTJs are always smarter than ISTJs, or whatever. It's just irritating to find so many descriptions that are just reiterations of that sort of thing, and he doesn't do that here.

    I believe Isabel Myers would have said that, in choosing which explorer was best suited to which of those two tasks, the S/N (first) and T/F (secondarily) preferences were the most significant ones, and that an ST was best suited for exclusively focusing on "just the facts" and the NF was best suited to be the recorder of subjective emotional/aesthetic/philosophical impressions — and that that two-explorers example was a very poor one to choose as an illustration of "extraversion" vs. "introversion."
    This example is quite convincing, of course, and I completely agree with this; I know some of his descriptions that I linked to earlier have bits of this type of weird analysis in them and I wouldn't embrace all of it as being right. Something I have seen of this that I find at least really unusual (if not totally incorrect) is this article about Se and Si (although I'm not sure if this is exactly what you are talking about).
    So what if I don't have a lot to talk about?/
    I shut my mouth and keep it locked until it counts/
    And what if I don't ever want to leave my house?/
    Stay on the couch while all my friends are going out/
    I'll make the journey down the hall back to my room/
    And kill more time, and let it rot inside its tomb/
    See, I ain't one to climb some social ladder to/
    Some Shangri-La that all the cool kids will abuse/

  2. #22
    Member cameo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Posts
    36

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    @cameo Have you tried finding your best-fit type using the method at the bottom of this Web page?
    Gah. Yeah, I still have the same problem where I think the ISTJ description fits me a bit better, but I still relate to a lot of aspects of the INTJ descriptions (including the corresponding temperament and interaction style descriptions). I think I'll just have to be content with being an ISTJ who is always just a little unsatisfied with the scope of the type descriptions. haha
    So what if I don't have a lot to talk about?/
    I shut my mouth and keep it locked until it counts/
    And what if I don't ever want to leave my house?/
    Stay on the couch while all my friends are going out/
    I'll make the journey down the hall back to my room/
    And kill more time, and let it rot inside its tomb/
    See, I ain't one to climb some social ladder to/
    Some Shangri-La that all the cool kids will abuse/

  3. #23
    Suave y Fuerte BadOctopus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Posts
    3,273

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cameo View Post
    Gah. Yeah, I still have the same problem where I think the ISTJ description fits me a bit better, but I still relate to a lot of aspects of the INTJ descriptions (including the corresponding temperament and interaction style descriptions). I think I'll just have to be content with being an ISTJ who is always just a little unsatisfied with the scope of the type descriptions. haha
    That's not that unusual. Sometimes I think I'm either a really unconventional ISTJ, or an INTJ who enjoys sensory things. It's hard to say which. I have a strong sense of justice and I always try to do what's right. But it's not necessarily what everyone else thinks is right. It's more like I follow my own internal sense of justice. And I don't always do things the way they're typically done, if I can find a better way of doing them. And I don't have much regard for tradition. Plus I am not an organized person at all. And I don't like getting into set habits. I'm always trying new things, and getting interested in totally random subjects, like calligraphy or the insects of Australia. Things that could never serve any practical purpose in my life. The only time my knowledge of Shakespeare or Greek mythology has come in handy is when I'm watching Jeopardy.

    So yeah. Who knows what I am. But I'd say I straddle the line between INTJ and ISTJ. And that's fine with me.

  4. #24
    this is my winter song EJCC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx
    Posts
    18,437

    Default

    For the record, I'm fine being grouped with STs. I have different things in common with both STs and SJs, but I do have things in common with both. I tend to bond immediately with xSTPs, because we are so aggressive about getting things done, and getting them done NOW. None of us are terribly romantic, we're all practical, and I work with them VERY easily in professional situations.

    Quote Originally Posted by BadOctopus View Post
    That's not that unusual. Sometimes I think I'm either a really unconventional ISTJ, or an INTJ who enjoys sensory things. It's hard to say which. I have a strong sense of justice and I always try to do what's right. But it's not necessarily what everyone else thinks is right. It's more like I follow my own internal sense of justice. And I don't always do things the way they're typically done, if I can find a better way of doing them. And I don't have much regard for tradition. Plus I am not an organized person at all. And I don't like getting into set habits. I'm always trying new things, and getting interested in totally random subjects, like calligraphy or the insects of Australia. Things that could never serve any practical purpose in my life. The only time my knowledge of Shakespeare or Greek mythology has come in handy is when I'm watching Jeopardy.

    So yeah. Who knows what I am. But I'd say I straddle the line between INTJ and ISTJ. And that's fine with me.
    For the record, you have always seemed more ISTJ to me. But I am also horrendous at recognizing Ni -- couldn't see it if you slapped me in the face with it -- so if you identify with Ni, then I trust you.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~


    EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"



    ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

  5. #25
    not to be trusted miss fortune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Enneagram
    827 sp/so
    Posts
    20,130

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    For the record, I'm fine being grouped with STs. I have different things in common with both STs and SJs, but I do have things in common with both. I tend to bond immediately with xSTPs, because we are so aggressive about getting things done, and getting them done NOW. None of us are terribly romantic, we're all practical, and I work with them VERY easily in professional situations.
    not to mention that it's pleasantly difficult to hurt your feelings by being blunt (and vice versa) which is probably a very good thing
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett
    Likes EJCC liked this post

  6. #26
    Suave y Fuerte BadOctopus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Posts
    3,273

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    For the record, you have always seemed more ISTJ to me. But I am also horrendous at recognizing Ni -- couldn't see it if you slapped me in the face with it -- so if you identify with Ni, then I trust you.
    Ni is... weird. I wouldn't call it logical at all, and I don't pretend to understand it, but I know I have it, because I have those Ni moments all the time, where connections are drawn in my head and everything just suddenly clicks together, and I come up with an idea or a solution that nobody else has thought of. I also can sometimes predict with strange accuracy how things are going to play out. I know it sounds odd, but it's sort of like when an answer to a problem comes to you in a dream. Except in this case, you're awake. That may sound mystical, but it's really not. It's just a highly personalized way of thinking.

    Either that or it's the Force. Probably that. I've always suspected that I might be a Jedi.
    Likes EJCC liked this post

  7. #27
    not to be trusted miss fortune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Enneagram
    827 sp/so
    Posts
    20,130

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BadOctopus View Post
    Ni is... weird. I wouldn't call it logical at all, and I don't pretend to understand it, but I know I have it, because I have those Ni moments all the time, where connections are drawn in my head and everything just suddenly clicks together, and I come up with an idea or a solution that nobody else has thought of. I also can sometimes predict with strange accuracy how things are going to play out. I know it sounds odd, but it's sort of like when an answer to a problem comes to you in a dream. Except in this case, you're awake. That may sound mystical, but it's really not. It's just a highly personalized way of thinking.

    Either that or it's the Force. Probably that. I've always suspected that I might be a Jedi.
    though to further confuse you, ti and se together can also do the same sort of thing

    though I always assumed I'd probably end up a better sith
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

  8. #28
    Suave y Fuerte BadOctopus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Posts
    3,273

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    though to further confuse you, ti and se together can also do the same sort of thing

    though I always assumed I'd probably end up a better sith
    Maybe Ni doesn't even exist. Lord knows the descriptions of it don't make a lick of sense.

  9. #29
    not to be trusted miss fortune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Enneagram
    827 sp/so
    Posts
    20,130

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BadOctopus View Post
    Maybe Ni doesn't even exist. Lord knows the descriptions of it don't make a lick of sense.
    nah... it does... it's the sense of paranoia in the back of my mind that drives me to figure out what's going to happen... like a nagging brain spouse or something
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

  10. #30
    Suave y Fuerte BadOctopus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Posts
    3,273

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    nah... it does... it's the sense of paranoia in the back of my mind that drives me to figure out what's going to happen... like a nagging brain spouse or something
    "Nagging brain spouse". Oh my God, yes. That's why I've never had the desire to get married.
    Likes miss fortune liked this post

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 03-21-2016, 04:13 PM
  2. [MBTItm] NJ vs. SJ and NP vs. SP
    By Elocute in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-29-2014, 11:54 PM
  3. sp/sx vs sx/sp
    By the state i am in in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 11-12-2009, 02:46 PM
  4. Keirsey vs. Myers Briggs
    By Glycerine in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 10-21-2008, 05:38 PM
  5. [MBTItm] series #1: Keirsey vs. Isabel
    By gretch in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-27-2007, 08:13 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO