Socionics
    SEI

Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    Precisely.

That is why we have no reason for fear.
    Agreed.

MBTI
    INFP

Interesting input from the Ambassador from the planet Vulcan.
    "There can be no understanding between the hands and the head unless the heart acts as mediator." (Metropolis, 1927)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel De Mazarin View Post
    The problem is that with disciplines like game or chaos theory, one always comes up against the the asymptote of infinite variability. It becomes easier to resort to Dao De Jing-like apothegms which glibly pronounce on whole fields of inquiry with cutely-phrased aporias or insoluble dilemmas.
    Exactly.

Less isn't always more.

MBTI
    ENTP

I don't think Bluewing's 'fighting' emotions or feelings. He's trying to cope with their frequent unmanageability by understanding them better.... he's not a robot, and neither are Night or I or Sunshine or anyone....

The point Bluewing was making was that dispassionate thinking can often rid our discussions and dialogues of a lot of unnecessary dross and clear the way for more important thinking. So, for instance, the issue of weasel-words is a good example:

Weasel word - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Madman's azure lie: a zen miasma ruled.

Realize us, Madman!

I razed a slum, Amen.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine View Post
    You realize you're not adding anything helpful or interesting here, particularly in repeating an unfunny joke-post, right?

Realize us, Madman!

I razed a slum, Amen.

MBTI
    ABCD
    Enneagram
    4 sx/so
    Socionics
    SEI

Am I going to have to quote the dictionary again? I don't care if people want to talk about how useful logic and impersonal analysis is but I do care when people start spreading incorrect information. This is a learning community, the point is to learn not to be confused. Perhaps I'll start a thread where I really dive into what Feeling is and how it works and have feelers comment.

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

You people make me sad.

Why do you cooperate with BlueWing?
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    ENTP

Instead of lambasting Bluewing why don't you all just provide an alternative definition of the Feeling function? He's basing much of his original post on the idea that Feeling function can be boiled down to placing value-judgments on percepts. Much of what he's saying does follow, though I myself have argued with other points, or attempted to qualify his argument...

So... instead of lamenting how sad this thread is, why don't you make all of us happy and tell us what feeling is and how it can be defended from a radical policy mounted against it?

Realize us, Madman!

I razed a slum, Amen.

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    Nicely theorized.

Reason is not a singular intellectual tree - neither is emotion. Our brains cannot clinically divorce one from the other, as one would select an apple from a pear. Conscious efforts to magnify either for a sustained period are not without infection - emotion is but evolved instinct; logic but a mechanical description of falsifiable event. The fusion of these schools is what we commonly describe as one's psychological makeup and is impossibly linked the inherent sustainability of the individual to use both accurately and appropriately.

Laying values aside for the purpose of mutual gain presuposes that reason is inherently able to generate the best-fitting solution to any paradigm; that emotion will create summary failure.

This isn't the case.
    Surely we can put emotions aside long enough to figure out what's truly going on...

Just because we can't permanently escape emotional reactions doesn't mean every logical architecture is to be ruined by the intrusion of emotion.

We can't escape gravity, but we can leave the earth.
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    ENTP

I am most in agreement with Night's (biologically-inspired?) definition of emotion as evolved instinct... I interpret this to mean that feeling can be seen as an adaptive mechanism, a means of dealing with the world... our manner of responding to the world. But in light of our self-reflexive thinking, emotion/feeling means more to us than adaptation... it gives us a raison d'etre.

I'm not a believer in Genesis, but I love how in it God creates the elements of our cosmos and then pronounces them 'Good.' Without a feeling function, we couldn't enjoy our successes or mourn our failures, or feel inspired to go through hours and weeks and years and centuries of drudgery when trying to solve infinite series or figure out just what the hell relativity means for our physical universe... or quantum mechanics, how it could change computing and our standard of living.

Realize us, Madman!

I razed a slum, Amen.