User Tag List

First 123412 Last

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by BlueWing View Post
    Jung certainly was mistaken to identify rational with conscious and irrational with unconscious, the two combinations are far from synonymous.
    Where did he do that? Can you provide quotation(s)? Thanks.
    "There can be no understanding between the hands and the head unless the heart acts as mediator." (Metropolis, 1927)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    enfp

are u trying to save the world with logic.

or is it the world u see on mbti central.

if its the latter, i guess u super care about this site. lolz

i just wanna say "awww"

MBTI
    INFP

It is the ability to prioritize according to value that allows the Feeling individual to succeed on his or her own terms, and since all perception is inherently subjective in nature despite the probability that an objective world exists, subjectivity must be valued. There are also certain laws and structures that are applied in this system of judgment that make it reliable for its purposes. For instance, when I find a meaningful truth, such as this: the perfection of compassion is the ultimate attainment, I use an organized thought process to weigh other infomation against the previously established truth, each time re-evaluating the original statement to determine the steadfastness of its validity or whether it ceases to apply in the face of other information that may invalidate it.

The Feeling process is more important for an understanding of our internal, personal realities while Thinking is useful primarily in dealing with issues of an impersonal nature and is less useful for prioritizing the internal. Each process has its uses, but since harmonious human interaction is more spiritually significant than the materially-focused contemplation of the external world that is prefered by Thinking types, the goals of Feeling types are more likely to be determined according to what is appropriate rather than merely what is practical. Thinking types are no more likely to percieve the world objectively than Feeling types because all experience must be filtered through our senses before we apply an interpretation or meaning to it. Don't think that we are unaware of what things seem. We merely take this awareness a step further and also consider the personal impact of a thing seeming so. We then add the recognition of that impact to our considerations and value the interactive dynamics of the thing rather than simply analyzing what it is and what it can do. We concern ourselves with the more important issue of whether it should.

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

It's funny that only Feelers ever respond to Bluewing and take him seriously about this shit. This thread proves once again.

Guys, don't take it personally (though it's difficult for you to do I'm sure). We still love you

I agree 100% that naming Feeling rational was extremely careless. He was more interested in defining the concepts than actually naming them properly.

Feeling is certainly a judgement function, as it does make decisions, but it is by no means rational.

Edit: I feel confident (even having never read a single one of his books all the way through) that the reason he selected rational for them, was that those two processes, Thinking and Feeling, design rationale. They interpret data, and decide what to do, or how to act, or how to feel... one way or another, if asked a question, their rationale for their decision would be a direct result of either Thinking or Feeling.
    we fukin won boys

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Nocapszy View Post
    It's funny that only Feelers ever respond to Bluewing and take him seriously about this shit. This thread proves once again.

Guys, don't take it personally (though it's difficult for you to do I'm sure). We still love you

I agree 100% that naming Feeling rational was extremely careless. He was more interested in defining the concepts than actually naming them properly.

Feeling is certainly a judgement function, as it does make decisions, but it is by no means rational.

Edit: I feel confident (even having never read a single one of his books all the way through) that the reason he selected rational for them, was that those two processes, Thinking and Feeling, design rationale. They interpret data, and decide what to do, or how to act, or how to feel... one way or another, if asked a question, their rationale for their decision would be a direct result of either Thinking or Feeling.
    Plausible account concerning the concept of Feeling in relation to the concept of rationality.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

“No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

If a feeler were to come to the same judgemental conclusion as a thinker would, does it matter?

Ex: A Thinker stays away from drugs by logically concluding the negative consequences, and a Feeler stays away from drugs because of the bad vibe that they receive from them and the people that do them, does it really matter?

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

I was coincidentally warranted to make the exact same rational/rationale distinction in the other thread.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    ABCD
    Enneagram
    4 sx/so
    Socionics
    SEI

Quote Originally Posted by http://www.knowyourtype.com/feeling.html

Feeling (F)

People who have a preference for feeling judgment are concerned with whether decisions and actions are worthwhile. More personal in approach, feeling types believe they can make the best decisions by weighing what people care about and the points-of-view of persons involved in a situation.

Feeling types are concerned with personal values and with making decisions based on a ranking of greater to lesser importancewhat is the best for the people involved. The feeling function places high value on relatedness between people, and feeling types are often concerned with establishing or maintaining harmony in their relationships. As they use and develop their feeling function, feeling types often come to appear caring, warm, and tactful. Remember, in type language, feeling does not mean being "emotional;" rather, it is a way of reasoning.

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    I was coincidentally warranted to make the exact same rational/rationale distinction in the other thread.
    And given what rationality really is, F doesn't fit the bill.
    we fukin won boys

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

And given what rationality really is, F doesn't fit the bill.
    Well, we apparently agree that Feeling uses rationale.
    My reasoning for stating that Feeling is rational is a pragmatic one.

Here's a question: Can a computer program be rational?
    Go to sleep, iguana.