User Tag List

First 71516171819 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine View Post
    Same. Well some of the time...it depends on the emotion...sadness and happiness never seem to affect me in that department. Anger, fear, and frustration seem to though.
    For me, even being very happy, or very sad makes it hard for me to think clearly also.

If there is such a thing, "extreme calm" is when I think most clearly.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    ABCD
    Enneagram
    4 sx/so
    Socionics
    SEI

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    For me, even being very happy, or very sad makes it hard for me to think clearly also.

Maybe it's just becaue I have myself so trained...being an enneagram 4 I get used to having to deal with my extreme emotions.

Not frustration and fear though. I have to really watch out for those. I swear I've done some of the dumbest things ever under the influence of those emotions. Luckily I don't have to worry about anger so much because it always seems to dissipate within minutes...I simply can't sustain it.

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

There we go, dispassionate contemplation is most conducive to clear-thinking.

Feeling is analogous to emotion as magnet to a metal.

How do I feel? How will I feel? How can I make the ambience around me more pleasant. Are all examples of Feeling at work. Technically it is thinking that is concerned with framing such questions, but it is at the behest of Feeling. This seems adequate to adduce that Feeling intensifies our passions and therefore leads us away from dispassionate contemplation which is necessary for clear-thinking.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

“No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

MBTI
    ABCD
    Enneagram
    4 sx/so
    Socionics
    SEI

So you are saying that being a Feeler makes ones emotions more intense?

Quote Originally Posted by BlueWing View Post
    There we go, dispassionate contemplation is most conducive to clear-thinking.

Feeling is analogous to emotion as magnet to a metal.

How do I feel? How will I feel? How can I make the ambience around me more pleasant. Are all examples of Feeling at work. Technically it is thinking that is concerned with framing such questions, but it is at the behest of Feeling. This seems adequate to adduce that Feeling intensifies our passions and therefore leads us away from dispassionate contemplation which is necessary for clear-thinking.
    So?

EDIT:Sunshine's question is also relavent. Though I think as a generalization, it may be true, it is not a foregone conclusion, nor does it mean anything from moment to moment.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    ABCD
    Enneagram
    4 sx/so
    Socionics
    SEI

So?
    Hehe.
    That's my question too.

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

So?

EDIT:Sunshine's question is also relavent. Though I think as a generalization, it may be true, it is not a foregone conclusion, nor does it mean anything from moment to moment.
    For this reason we must avoid Feeling (value-judgments) in making practical decisions in life as those earnestly require that we know what we are doing. The only reliable way to knowing what we are doing is thinking things through as accurately as possible.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

“No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Popping in...

I've already pointed in the past how often Thinking driven pursuits result in emotional outbursts. Are we talking about emotions in terms of a sentimental thought process in ones mind, or the personal expression that we often associate with emotions?

I have a hypothetical question.

Let's suppose there are two people:

One is a person that is highly temperamental, but is concerned with logical and factual endeavors, and is very skilled and educated in handling them.

This other is a person that is remarkably self-disciplined and dispassionate, but cares not for logical or factual discussions and barely understands how to approach them.

Which of these too people is of more value to your society, BlueWing?
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    ABCD
    Enneagram
    4 sx/so
    Socionics
    SEI

For this reason we must avoid Feeling (value-judgments) in making practical decisions in life as those earnestly require that we know what we are doing. The only reliable way to knowing what we are doing is thinking things through as accurately as possible.
    So basically, "Don't try to paint a picture with a pitch fork, if you're going to paint a picture, use a paint brush."

As in "If you have a situation that regires thinking, use it, don't use value judgements."

??

ETA: Feeling (the descision making function) does not equal value judgements.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

I agree, but... Practical for what? The practicality of a decision is determined in part by context. Namely, the context of ones aim. And of course, the context of ones aim is defined by Feeling. Your Feelings are partly what determine the practicality of a decision.
    Go to sleep, iguana.