• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

NFs and their causes

Didums

It would work out fine, because as bitter as everything may be, we wouldn't be bothered by it. We'd just continually be screwing each other back and forth. Pretty much like it is now, except we wouldn't put on pretend smiles and neck-ties when we did it.

But then, I guess CC doesn't really care that no one would be bothered. She assumes these morals are universal, and to break any of them regardless of temperament is just wrong.

Again, proving BW's point.

You're that narrowminded eh? Think things through a bit before potentially writing something stupid like you just did. To understand how the human race evolved is to understand that a cold, bitter, impersonal society would fall faster than one without logic. Humans that evolved as part of a group, a tribe, that were composed of people who cooperated, shared, and helped each other, would've had a much higher chance of survival than tribes composed of individuals who didn't cooperate and didn't share. The latter would have very quickly fallen apart in an orgy of selfishness, discrimination, and fighting amonst each other.

Take your stupid elsewhere please.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Heh you almost make his argument sound reasonable. However if you use his words:

He's saying even most extreme thinker still has plenty of F. In fact even the most extreme thinker should learn to restrain their F even more. This is pretty much saying F is worthless and T is awesome. Ok, he's not saying F is totally worthless, he's saying it's almost totally worthless. I don't think the "almost" makes his argument any more reasonable.

That would be the invective I mentioned before. I think we could have a more productive conversation if we leave it behind.

Also, I was hoping he was engaging in hyperbole there. And in lots of places.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I'm honestly surprised to see you take the tack of "Oh, I used to be just like you, so when you have the life experience that I have you'll think the same things." It seems a bit like an appeal to authority (age and experience being the basis of the authority). There are plenty of older INTPs who used to be like you are now, but have become more charitable as they age, but that doesn't mean you will. I can hope so, but I wouldn't necessarily say that they are further along on the same trajectory as you. Other INTPs (and other types) just get more and more disconnected as time goes by.

It would of been an appeal to authority if I told him to believe in things that I believe in because I am older than him. I never suggested he should do so, and I hope you will never hear me say that you should believe in anything period without having examined for yourself, even less so because I happen to hold such a view.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
^That made me wonder
How old are you BlueWing?

Another thing that came into my mind:
Are you just looking for getting some attention with your posts?
Because you are certainly getting attention.

I think I have some interesting ideas and I wonder what others would have to contribute to them. Most of the havoc that happens in these threads is a result of my claims being misunderstood.

If you are interested, the way to control emotions is to accept them. They will mellow out that way. Restrain is not the right way to control them, while it seems most straightforward. It is harder to take the punch.

Sooner or later they will wear out on their own, but this seems to be a long and inefficient route. Why do that when you can focus your emotive energy onto something much more constructive. As for example, what works for me is delving into hard-core Thinking material. This puts me into an emotionally neutral mode and substantially lessens the grief in a short period of time. I remember I was bothered by something intensely for 2 good weeks at least, yet after 3 days of solid studies, it was nowhere near as significant.

I don't think Mr. Rogers is an example of an NF without any T. He was utterly consistent for his entire life. I agree with BW that F must be balanced with T. It seems to me that he is saying that one needs more T than F, which is much more reasonable to me than saying F is worthless and T is awesome. I don't necessarily agree, but it would be an interesting discussion if we could leave behind the invective.

We are on the same page. I believe that Thinking should be in the drivers seat and Feeling in the backseat because Thinking gives us a clear perspective of what we should do with our lives.

BW, you assume value judgments are to be restrained. i think value judgments need to be worked through and factored in. Feeling shouldn't be locked in the trunk -- Feeling should be in the passenger seat, having a constant conversation with Thinking (which should be the driver of the car, heh).

You work through value judgments through rational analysis of emotion. Everybody processes emotion, this is inevitable. A hardcore thinker however may not have enough interest in emotion to analyze it. He does not need to indulge in his emotive appetites more to do this. He just needs to get himself to focus on emotional aspects of his life.

Before I start I have one question: What is your purpose in making these types of threads?).

I have interesting ideas and I am curious about what others may have to add to them.

Your premise is a little bit odd in my opinion. 'We know for sure that this is what the NFs are portrayed as fighters of. But was this really the case?' That quote makes it seem like you are going to refute the notion that Jesus, Buddha, and Ghandi actually tried to fight for 'the happiness of society, the common good, and the welfare of the individual', which you don't exactly do. ?).

I used those heroes as means to the end of depicting a caricature of the 'NF' stereotype. It is not my business to inquire into matters of their biography.

A pure type being having no Thinking or Sensing function? I highly doubt someone like that exists in reality. An argument that stems from such an unrealistic notion will surely be a strawman.?).

Yes, that is correct. Which is why you will never meet NF people as 'out there' as I have described them. Even the craziest of NFs had some kind of Thinking in them and usually enough to avoid running amuck with their Feelings. Yet, unfortunately too many of them had too little Thinking in them and championed very unreasonable values and visions.

Feeling itself has logical sequencing BW, emotion is not random, it has triggers..?).

That is clearly so. Nothing in the world is random. By random I meant, emotions do not bear a logical relation to each other. For example, an overly emotional person may have emotions of guilt, anxiety, ecstasy, whatever, triggered by a refrigerator. There is no direct logical relationship between the refrigerator and such feelings. But the reason they turn out to have such feelings triggered is because their refrigerator reminded them of some scary event in their lives. They may even consciously assert that the refrigerator is evil. A logical person would see that there is no connection between the two.

No sane person does not take into account details about reality that they receive via Sensing when deciding to fight for a cause. You are interpreting typology too literally...?).

Many of the N dominated NFs I have met, especially INFJs seemed practically insane to me. Historical case in point, INFJ Dostoevsky persuades the ignorant Russian peasant folk that their country has been chosen by God to be the new Israel! This is why God put Mother Russian through this much suffering, he is putting her to test only to be rewarded for her faithfulness later on! This led to rabid worship of Russian soil which had almost no bearing upon reality and seemed to be wholly a concoction of his imagination.

This makes no sense. If the NF was fighting for the cause of "the welfare of the individual", that is a magnanimous cause, it doesn't matter the means of fighting for it in my opinion, the action is what counts....?).

My question is, did they have the 'welfare of the individual' in mind when they were acting? Or were they caught up in their passions and imagination like Dostoevksy seemed to have been?

You are only presenting negative aspects of a feeler with a highly underdeveloped thinking function, that kind of person maybe only exists in a pre-teen who doesn't know any better yet.....?).

You mostly meet those in lunatic asylums. Today we keep them locked away, thousands of years back they were religious prophets.

Also, NTs have followers that have romanticized them, take Copernicus for an example, he's been credited with the idea of Heliocentrism when it had been present in other cultures for centuries......?).

Noone thought that he was God's son, however or that whoever rejects his teaching shall be commited to the flames for eternity. There clearly was less passion involved here than with the NF leaders, and his teaching was more clearly presented, so more difficult for charlatans to exploit.

Don't say "the truth", there is no absolute truth, except for maybe in mathematics (1+1=2, absolute truth). ......?).

Truth is absolute. Either my car is white or not white. Either John took my shoes or he did not. Our knowledge may not be absolute as we could have made many errors in our attempt to understand what the truth is.

Proof by assertion, hasty generalization, strawman. That is clearly descriptive of an extreme stereotype of someone who has no balance in their cognitive processes. This is very similar to what you wrote: "All hispanic people in the US crossed the border illegally, they are all lazy, dirty people, who mow our lawns and make our fast food for us."......?).

Strawman fallacy would be if I misrepresented my opponent's case.

For example, John says my car runs fast because it has an engine from 2005 by GM.

If I respond, oh your engine is from GM, that is why it runs fast?

That'd be a strawman as I am misrepresenting what he said to make his case seem weaker.

Proof by assertion? That would be if I said this is just the way it is, and I refuse to explain why it is this way.

Where did I commit these two?

Argument for NFs not knowing their view was founded upon the proposition of them over-indulging in Feeling and lacking Thinking. Feeling is chiefly concerned with telling us whether things are agreeable to us or not. Thinking is concerned with telling us what things are. If you lack the latter, you will lack clarity. The 'drama queen' notion derives from the proposition concerning the nature of Feeling, which by definition of itself seems to attract emotion. If you lack thinking to balance your feeling, almost doubtlessly you will turn out over-dramatic.

I doubt it is uncommon to witness a radical Feeling type in an off-balance state going at great lengths to receive approbation from others, as I have mentioned earlier.

You can fulfill a cause and not know what the cause was, your making a false dichotomy, the options being "they know the cause and fulfill it" and "they don't know the cause and don't fulfill it". ."......?).

Okay, so say I am in a segregated city. I stand up on top of the roof and say FHOIAFHIDSOIHFDSFDOHIFDSOHISFDOFSDOHIFDSOIHFDSOIHFDSIOHFDSIO

Strangely, this turns out to mean 'Fight for freedom' in some odd language I never knew anything about. People rally for the cause and in the end the city ends up being desegregated. Did I fight for the cause of de-segregation? Seems to me I was just a lunatic screaming random non-sense.

Again, my question was about the mindset of those people who we regard as heroes seemingly for all the wrong reasons.

You try to make the case that because they don't know the cause they can't possibly fulfill it. The other options that you didn't consider are "they know the cause and don't fulfill it" and "they don't know the cause and fulfill it". You may have not directly stated the dichotomy but it was implied.."......?).

My claim was that they seemed to be extremely neurotic NFs with almost no access to Thinking. Such types are unlikely to know their cause for this reason. Other options were not relevant in light of this claim.

Cum hoc ergo propter hoc. The cause of the confusion about Jesus's teachings is not that he was an NF, but rather that the scripture written by his followers can be interpreted in various ways being that it was written 2000 years ago in a different language and culture. Also I'm pretty sure that the teachings of Buddha and Ghandi aren't misinterpreted in any way..."......?).

That is irrelevant bibliographical information.

Be careful with the word "All". Also, what if a worldview was to be founded upon emotion And clear-cut rationale? You might argue that if it was to be founded on emotion then it must be irrational, however i've shown you how emotion has logical sequencing and can therefore be rational if controlled...."......?).

I believe I have shown for this view to be false.

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I think I have some interesting ideas and I wonder what others would have to contribute to them. Most of the havoc that happens in these threads is a result of my claims being misunderstood.

Ok, thanks for answering. :)

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
That would be the invective I mentioned before. I think we could have a more productive conversation if we leave it behind.

Also, I was hoping he was engaging in hyperbole there. And in lots of places.

I suppose it depends on whether these statements are meant to be taken as literal or hyperbole. :huh:

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Sooner or later they will wear out on their own, but this seems to be a long and inefficient route. Why do that when you can focus your emotive energy onto something much more constructive. As for example, what works for me is delving into hard-core Thinking material. This puts me into an emotionally neutral mode and substantially lessens the grief in a short period of time. I remember I was bothered by something intensely for 2 good weeks at least, yet after 3 days of solid studies, it was nowhere near as significant.

We are on the same page. I believe that Thinking should be in the drivers seat and Feeling in the backseat because Thinking gives us a clear perspective of what we should do with our lives.

You work through value judgments through rational analysis of emotion. Everybody processes emotion, this is inevitable. A hardcore thinker however may not have enough interest in emotion to analyze it. He does not need to indulge in his emotive appetites more to do this. He just needs to get himself to focus on emotional aspects of his life.

I have interesting ideas and I am curious about what others may have to add to them.

I used those heroes as means to the end of depicting a caricature of the 'NF' stereotype. It is not my business to inquire into matters of their biography.

Yes, that is correct. Which is why you will never meet NF people as 'out there' as I have described them. Even the craziest of NFs had some kind of Thinking in them and usually enough to avoid running amuck with their Feelings. Yet, unfortunately too many of them had too little Thinking in them and championed very unreasonable values and visions.

That is clearly so. Nothing in the world is random. By random I meant, emotions do not bear a logical relation to each other. For example, an overly emotional person may have emotions of guilt, anxiety, ecstasy, whatever, triggered by a refrigerator. There is no direct logical relationship between the refrigerator and such feelings. But the reason they turn out to have such feelings triggered is because their refrigerator reminded them of some scary event in their lives. They may even consciously assert that the refrigerator is evil. A logical person would see that there is no connection between the two.

Many of the N dominated NFs I have met, especially INFJs seemed practically insane to me. Historical case in point, INFJ Dostoevsky persuades the ignorant Russian peasant folk that their country has been chosen by God to be the new Israel! This is why God put Mother Russian through this much suffering, he is putting her to test only to be rewarded for her faithfulness later on! This led to rabid worship of Russian soil which had almost no bearing upon reality and seemed to be wholly a concoction of his imagination.

My question is, did they have the 'welfare of the individual' in mind when they were acting? Or were they caught up in their passions and imagination like Dostoevksy seemed to have been?

You mostly meet those in lunatic asylums. Today we keep them locked away, thousands of years back they were religious prophets.

Noone thought that he was God's son, however or that whoever rejects his teaching shall be commited to the flames for eternity. There clearly was less passion involved here than with the NF leaders, and his teaching was more clearly presented, so more difficult for charlatans to exploit.

Truth is absolute. Either my car is white or not white. Either John took my shoes or he did not. Our knowledge may not be absolute as we could have made many errors in our attempt to understand what the truth is.

Strawman fallacy would be if I misrepresented my opponent's case.

For example, John says my car runs fast because it has an engine from 2005 by GM.

If I respond, oh your engine is from GM, that is why it runs fast?

That'd be a strawman as I am misrepresenting what he said to make his case seem weaker.

Proof by assertion? That would be if I said this is just the way it is, and I refuse to explain why it is this way.

Where did I commit these two?

Argument for NFs not knowing their view was founded upon the proposition of them over-indulging in Feeling and lacking Thinking. Feeling is chiefly concerned with telling us whether things are agreeable to us or not. Thinking is concerned with telling us what things are. If you lack the latter, you will lack clarity. The 'drama queen' notion derives from the proposition concerning the nature of Feeling, which by definition of itself seems to attract emotion. If you lack thinking to balance your feeling, almost doubtlessly you will turn out over-dramatic.

I doubt it is uncommon to witness a radical Feeling type in an off-balance state going at great lengths to receive approbation from others, as I have mentioned earlier.

Okay, so say I am in a segregated city. I stand up on top of the roof and say FHOIAFHIDSOIHFDSFDOHIFDSOHISFDOFSDOHIFDSOIHFDSOIHFDSIOHFDSIO

Strangely, this turns out to mean 'Fight for freedom' in some odd language I never knew anything about. People rally for the cause and in the end the city ends up being desegregated. Did I fight for the cause of de-segregation? Seems to me I was just a lunatic screaming random non-sense.

Again, my question was about the mindset of those people who we regard as heroes seemingly for all the wrong reasons.

My claim was that they seemed to be extremely neurotic NFs with almost no access to Thinking. Such types are unlikely to know their cause for this reason. Other options were not relevant in light of this claim.

That is irrelevant bibliographical information.

I believe I have shown for this view to be false.

Oh, Bluey, what are we gonna do with you, hmmm???? :D

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I suppose it depends on whether these statements are meant to be taken as literal or hyperbole. :huh:

Yeah, like I said. I'm trying to give BW the benefit of the doubt here because there is a reasonable point beneath some of that hyperbole. And because he gets a lot of flak here. Not that he doesn't invite it upon himself with said invective, but if it turns out to be his way to blow off steam I don't mind sorting through it for the kernels of truth.

At least, I don't mind it today. I am a fickle F after all, I might mind it tomorrow. ;)

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
It would of been an appeal to authority if I told him to believe in things that I believe in because I am older than him. I never suggested he should do so, and I hope you will never hear me say that you should believe in anything period without having examined for yourself, even less so because I happen to hold such a view.

No, you didn't tell him he had to agree with you, you merely strongly suggested that it was in his future because you had once been a bright-eyed young positive thinker like he is now. Not a classic appeal to authority, but closer to one than I'm accustomed to seeing from you.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yeah, like I said. I'm trying to give BW the benefit of the doubt here because there is a reasonable point beneath some of that hyperbole. And because he gets a lot of flak here. Not that he doesn't invite it upon himself with said invective, but if it turns out to be his way to blow off steam I don't mind sorting through it for the kernels of truth.

At least, I don't mind it today. I am a fickle F after all, I might mind it tomorrow. ;)

Awww c'mon, he loves the flak. It's like he wants a Panzer tank to roll him over - he's begging for it!!!!!!!!!!!!! He wants someone to come down with an AK47 and just blow a million holes into his argument.

But honestly, I'm too lazy to do it. :D

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Awww c'mon, he loves the flak. It's like he wants a Panzer tank to roll him over - he's begging for it!!!!!!!!!!!!! He wants someone to come down with an AK47 and just blow a million holes into his argument.

But honestly, I'm too lazy to do it. :D

I don't know about that, actually. There are several possibilities for what BW wants to get out of this and he's the only one who can say for sure which one is correct. Maybe he's very dryly "kidding on the square" and trusts us to figure out how much of what he says is tongue-in-cheek and sort that out from the serious parts.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP

Aha, ok, now I think I'm getting closer to understand your view. You distract your consciousness to concentrate on matters so that you will forget about the emotions. Sorry for turning into analyzing you, but this is relevant for me, since I can't understand your view if I don't understand where you are coming from.

If you concentrated on the emotions at the point you tend to look away, what would you find? Have you considered that a truth worth finding out? The bonus that comes from studying your emotions is that you get to know them better and control them, as you see them coming. They will not look like something that comes and goes whenever they want to. They seem this way because they are shoved into unconsciousness. I'd say it is very constructive to make sure you are open to the world, as this is ultimately the way to make you get the most objective view possible.

I agree with you on this. And don't get me wrong, I didn't mean that analyzing emotions should be based on Feeling judgment. There is very much to be done by logic.

Nothing in the world is random. By random I meant, emotions do not bear a logical relation to each other. For example, an overly emotional person may have emotions of guilt, anxiety, ecstasy, whatever, triggered by a refrigerator. There is no direct logical relationship between the refrigerator and such feelings. But the reason they turn out to have such feelings triggered is because their refrigerator reminded them of some scary event in their lives. They may even consciously assert that the refrigerator is evil. A logical person would see that there is no connection between the two.

Here we differ in views. It seems to me like you are describing this to be "normal" phenomenon for a feeler. It isn't. This is an unhealthy person, who has not really accepted the emotions. The feeling attached to the fridge is coming from the unconscious. If he had taken time to analyze his feelings, he would have made them more conscious and disconnected them from the refrigerator. A logical person cannot escape his unconsciousness any more than the emotional. But, if the logical person has allowed his emotional side to develop to a healthy state, it will manifest it's view in a more healthy way. So, if someone is afraid of his fridge, he should try to figure out where the feeling is coming from and what the fridge symbolizes. After he found a memory of the evil behind the fridge, he can rationalize the situation and neutralize the effect of that memory.

In my opinion this is the only way fighting emotions. You must break them from inside, not deny them. But, really, I do think that you are on the way to this, since you have such an interest in emotions. You would just have to take that time to expose yourself to them and see what they do. There is no reason why not do this. Only thing you can lose is some time, and the thing you can win is better understanding. It isn't that bad a deal.

Ps. I'd like to point out that your stance to emotions and feeling judgment is opposite of the way I see it. You seem to think that the less you have F, the less you have emotions. I understood that emotions are not exactly connected to feeling judgment. If you gain F-judgment, it will not increase the amount of emotions.

Owl

desert pelican
MBTI Type
INTP
That depends from what account we derive our idea of who Jesus was from!

Granted, but this does not mean the true account has been lost, neither does it mean the true account cannot be known. Before you conclude Jesus' actions were motivated by vulgar motives, I would suggest you construct a tighter argument to support such a conclusion than any which may be formed from the content in the OP.

It is not even clear what Jesus understood for God to be. And many of his actions, especially when he preaches like 'those who do not agree with me will burn in Hell! I tell you the truth, noone comes to the father if he does not lessen himself to a child's attitude and believes me blindly!' In a nutshell was what he was saying. I doubt I need to cite where in scripture he said this, its all too notorious by now. Seems to be here he is more concerned with being accepted by men than the Guy who sits up in the clouds watching him.

This is not the thread to argue for the clarity of general revelation or the perspicuity of scripture--but I'm willing to discuss these if you are. As for following Jesus blindly, I assure you, that is nowhere in the Bible.

If you declare faith more important than truth, you certainly have some barriers to jump over in your quest to attain intellectual integrity. You will never be an honest fideist, or be able to seperate your intellectual convictions from your religious, there will be a crippling cognitive dissonance which will force you to become a theistic rationalist and in effect succumb to the problem I have outlined above concerning intellectual integrity.

I'm no fideist, and I think you've given some good reasons why no one should be--although I think they could be strengthened. But what about skepticism? Why should I think that being rational will help me lead the good life?

redacted

yeah, but focusing on something else is essentially putting a band-aid on the problem (aka repression).

if you spent your thinking energy on the actual emotional problem at hand; if you broke it down into a framework and made perfect sense out of it, you'd be much less likely to be surprised by it later. you wouldn't risk projecting or displacing anger (as much), nor would you find yourself as anxious or annoyed.

you said 3 solid days of study solved the problem. and of course, i'm sure a bunch of emotional processing went on behind the scenes. but what if you spent just a few hours at the beginning doing emotional processing (with your T and F)? you'd have the problem solved instead of hidden, and you'd feel much better, probably making your studying more efficient. you'd probably get more done in the long run anyways.

i guess i can't prove what i'm saying (without running some sort of test), but i think you get what i mean.

thinking does NOT give us a clear perspective of what we should do with our lives. we need to make sure to check with feeling (all the time) to plan effectively. if the point of life is personal happiness maximization (do you agree??), we need F value judgments as the premises for our T conclusions. if we start from a premise that F thinks is "bad", we will certainly not plan effectively.

but consciously getting yourself to focus more on emotion is F by definition. someone who doesn't "have enough interest in emotion to analyze it" must use F more to bring value judgments to consciousness.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
yeah, but focusing on something else is essentially putting a band-aid on the problem (aka repression).

if you spent your thinking energy on the actual emotional problem at hand; if you broke it down into a framework and made perfect sense out of it, you'd be much less likely to be surprised by it later. you wouldn't risk projecting or displacing anger (as much), nor would you find yourself as anxious or annoyed.

you said 3 solid days of study solved the problem. and of course, i'm sure a bunch of emotional processing went on behind the scenes. but what if you spent just a few hours at the beginning doing emotional processing (with your T and F)? you'd have the problem solved instead of hidden, and you'd feel much better, probably making your studying more efficient. you'd probably get more done in the long run anyways.

i guess i can't prove what i'm saying (without running some sort of test), but i think you get what i mean.

Do bandaids not assist with healing?

As much as I don't like much of what this guy says, I'm going to have to agree on one point. Most Ts, particularly the younger ones, need distance to deal with their problems. Immediate emotional processing usually just ends up with them just sitting back and watching things fester instead of actually doing anything.

Three straight days of studying might have created that distance needed. However, they usually forget two important things -- when to stop creating distance (because if you make too much, you just end up trying to bury the problem), and that there's still work to be done after the distancing (pretending the problem's solved, when it's not.). Good thing there are usually some Fs around to pry them out of this, though.

So... yes. Ts need their distance, but they can't run away entirely. Distance, though, prevents them from doing things that are really dumb and would hurt themselves and/or others.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
So, the gist of what BlueWing is saying seems to be that NF causes are so vague and passion-based that they only prove in the end to be detrimental instruments of deception and destruction.

I don't agree. While it is true that many of ideals similar to those of NFs are used to appeal to people in the process of extortion in some cases, I think this is simply a skill in understanding the subconscious ideals of human beings in general that makes them successful. They use this skill to promote their agenda, and it doesn't matter whether the NFs provide them with the ideas, or the extortionists derive their own. Ideals of beauty and dreams can always be used either for extortion, or as an impetus to improvement. They are simply tools, like anything else. They work because of the general similarity in structure of mind, emotion, and perception in human beings.

This part is more conjecture, but I would go so far as to say that NTs are idealists themselves, but of a much colder variety. They simply have a need for things to make sense and work properly in accordance with a particular understanding or end, rather than a need for beauty, meaning, and perfection. Considering human nature, is vigorously promoting that people do things that make logical sense a form of realism, or idealism? ;) And if you think about it, all logic can be unraveled by a few questions... why is the end what is most important? Why should everything accord with any particular end? Why must things be consistent with themselves or work according to particular rules? In fact, it isn't necessary... except that the mind needs them to do so in order to cope most effectively in relation to it's perceptions, goals, and attempts to derive information.

redacted

Do bandaids not assist with healing?

As much as I don't like much of what this guy says, I'm going to have to agree on one point. Most Ts, particularly the younger ones, need distance to deal with their problems. Immediate emotional processing usually just ends up with them just sitting back and watching things fester instead of actually doing anything.

Three straight days of studying might have created that distance needed. However, they usually forget two important things -- when to stop creating distance (because if you make too much, you just end up trying to bury the problem), and that there's still work to be done after the distancing (pretending the problem's solved, when it's not.). Good thing there are usually some Fs around to pry them out of this, though.

So... yes. Ts need their distance, but they can't run away entirely. It prevents them from doing things that are really dumb and would hurt themselves and/or others.

i didn't mean you should always process emotion right away. i definitely try to wait until i calm down before doing any sort of processing, which may take days to weeks.

my point is more that the emotion has to be consciously processed. if you just let it sit there and focus on studies, it'll find its way out somehow (which you said).

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
i didn't mean you should always process emotion right away. i definitely try to wait until i calm down before doing any sort of processing, which may take days to weeks.

my point is more that the emotion has to be consciously processed. if you just let it sit there and focus on studies, it'll find its way out somehow (which you said).

And here I thought you were one of these FJs who were going to go, "Hurry up! Talk it over! now now now now now!" There seems to be a lot of those... and they all seem to flock to me.

Immediacy is not always a good thing. And this is coming from one of them hasty INTJs.

*shrug*

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
And here I thought you were one of these FJs who were going to go, "Hurry up! Talk it over! now now now now now!" There seems to be a lot of those... and they all seem to flock to me.

Talking things over is more of an extrovert thing. At least for me it is too damn much. I need to go through it myself (first).

yenom

Alexander the Terrible
Thoughts can be explained in words, but feelings cannot.

Even if you are the purely logical person as you claim to be, you will experience those 4 emotions at some stage in your life.

Even now, i think logic is subjective, What seems logical to one person may seems illogical to another person.