User Tag List

First 123412 Last

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    In response to your additional comments about the impact of Fs on the world:

Do you realize that if the world were dominated by pure Ts, then no one would have the psychological imperative to act on anything?
    No, Ts still have enough F to motivate action.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

“No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by BlueWing View Post
    No, Ts still have enough F to motivate action.
    Okay, this is what I said.

Do you realize that if the world were dominated by pure Ts, then no one would have the psychological imperative to act on anything?
    What I said was correct. Now, you are apparently not talking about a world run by pure Ts, thought in your first post, your example of NFs was based off the notion of a pure F.

Anyway. Theoretically, the effectiveness of these functions is still co-dependant. There is Thinking, there is Feeling, and in my personal, mental glossary, there is Reasoning, which is judgement that coordinates both.
    A reasonable person is ultimately one that perfectly understands cost-benefit comparisons. Doing so clearly requires Feeling as much as it does Thinking, because without Feeling, there'd be no "benefit" part of it. One could not define a reasonable decision without Feeling.

So, I think that humans would be best off if they had equal portions Feeling and Thinking. What do you suggest, BlueWing?
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Okay, this is what I said.

What I said was correct. Now, you are apparently not talking about a world run by pure Ts, thought in your first post, your example of NFs was based off the notion of a pure F.

Anyway. Theoretically, the effectiveness of these functions is still co-dependant. There is Thinking, there is Feeling, and in my personal, mental glossary, there is Reasoning, which is judgement that coordinates both.
    A reasonable person is ultimately one that perfectly understands cost-benefit comparisons. Doing so clearly requires Feeling as much as it does Thinking, because without Feeling, there'd be no "benefit" part of it. One could not define a reasonable decision without Feeling.

So, I think that humans would be best off if they had equal portions Feeling and Thinking. What do you suggest, BlueWing?
    We clearly need both Thinking and Feeling, though just a lot more Thinking than Feeling as Feeling if left unchecked will become torrential. It requires strict supervision.

Also, scholars have a much less clear idea of what Jesus, Buddha and Confucius taught than they do of what philosophers and scientists that I have mentioned taught.

The NF caricature I have in mind is not one that lacks Thinking altogether, but one who supresses it to a great extent. We see many examples of these in the world, and even on this board. They are the ones responsible for the problems cited above.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

We clearly need both Thinking and Feeling, though just a lot more Thinking than Feeling as Feeling if left unchecked will become torrential. It requires strict supervision.
    No. I don't think more Thinking is needed than Feeling. I see either imbalance as being like a lop-sided aircraft, letting it's poorly callibrated weight hobble it into the ground. Every fact needs to be put to a purpose, or there is no relevance to anything at all.

What kind of measurement would you be using, anyhow? What is the right proportionate amound of Thinking compared to Feeling?

Also, scholars have a much less clear idea of what Jesus, Buddha and Confucius taught than they do of what philosophers and scientists that I have mentioned taught.
    We generally know what these people wrote. The rest from there is up to interpretation. This particular tangent is too petty to continue, and it's also pointless unless I go out of my way to dig up confusing qualities of famous philosophers, which I don't feel like doing right now.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

The rest from there is up to interpretation. This particular tangent is too petty to continue, and it's also pointless unless I go out of my way to dig up confusing qualities of famous philosophers, which I don't feel like doing right now.
    There would be a lot less of this problem if those people founded their claims on dispassionate, logically consistent reasoning rather than blind, amorphous passions run amuck.

MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

There would be a lot less of this problem if those people founded their claims on dispassionate, logically consistent reasoning rather than blind, amorphous passions run amuk.
    Yeah, yeah.

This question is really important:
    What kind of measurement would you be using, anyhow? What is the right proportionate amound of Thinking compared to Feeling?

None of what you say will ever really make sense unless we know how you define the proper measure of Thinking over Feeling. Do you intend to reply?
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Yeah, yeah.

This question is really important:

None of what you say will ever really make sense unless we know how you define the proper measure of Thinking over Feeling. Do you intend to reply?
    We want to make sure that we have a clear-cut rationale for all of our decisions. We need just enough Feeling to give ourselves the energy to think.

We cannot eliminate Feeling altogether. We should go all T, we will have enough emotive energy to go on with our impersonal thoughts whether we like it or not.

For practical purposes, we will do everything to encourage decision-making based on dispassionate, logically consistent reasoning (Thinking) and do everything we can to discourage decisions based on our subjective sentiments (Feeling).

MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

For practical purposes, we will do everything to encourage decision-making based on dispassionate, logically consistent reasoning (Thinking) and do everything we can to discourage decisions based on our subjective sentiments (Feeling).
    This comes back to what I believe is the classic argument in this debate.
    Aren't most of the things worth living for, that we even bother living for, subjective tastes? In other words, to remove the subjective elements from decision making, would be to cut out the ability to even account for subjective desires. In turn, we would lose the ability to obtain the things that make us appreciate life. We cut out our happiness.

(I have to sleep for now).
    Go to sleep, iguana.

I find this thread highly annoying. Yes I even feel it to be so.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

This comes back to what I believe is the classic argument in this debate.
    Aren't most of the things worth living for, that we even bother living for, subjective tastes? In other words, to remove the subjective elements from decision making, would be to cut out the ability to even account for subjective desires. In turn, we would lose the ability to obtain the things that make us appreciate life. We cut out our happiness.

(I have to sleep for now).
    Its okay to keep the subjective element in perspective as long as we are not ruled by it. In other words, we can consider the importance of endorsing matters of taste for example, or other subjective elements through logical analysis.