User Tag List

Default How well do we match on OkCupid?

I'm conducting an experiment to see how well I match with users on this site. I'm trying to figure out how well I'd get along with everyone, and decided to use OkCupid's match questions to do so. So, could you please visit my profile, then reply with the match %, friend %, and enemy % you got.

www.okcupid.com/profile/impresent

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

51% Match
    20% Enemy

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    451 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp Ni

73%, and I'll inform you that the OKCupid match ratings only give you a rough estimate. My favorite person I met on the site was someone whose score was in the 70s, and my least favorite person, an individual who really rubbed me the wrong way, had a score in the 90s.

EDIT: 6% for enemy.
    [ Ni > Ti > Fe > Fi > Ne > Te > Si > Se ][ 4w5 sp/sx ][ RLOAI ][ IEI-Ni ]

literally your mother PocketFullOf's Avatar
    MBTI
    NeTi
    Enneagram
    pot

40% match 29% enemy.

BTW I took the long "scientific" personality test on there and got ISTP...I mean what the fuck is that?!?!?!

Taking a concept to it's logical end is rarely logical or relevant to the subject at hand.
    Johari Nohari
    7w6-3w2-1w9 / sCUA|I| / SER SEI
    Neutral Good
    bagfullofclocks | type me if you can

Quote Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
    73%, and I'll inform you that the OKCupid match ratings only give you a rough estimate. My favorite person I met on the site was someone whose score was in the 70s, and my least favorite person, an individual who really rubbed me the wrong way, had a score in the 90s.

EDIT: 6% for enemy.
    Yea, the match scores seem to work well to get a sense of things. They seem to work better if questions are answered honestly, weighted accurately, and if irrelevant questions are skipped. The enemy % seems to be very consistent overtime and seems to be the most accurate (17% or less is good).

MBTI
    yupp

0% match 0% enemy but i only signed up to see quiz results.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    451 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp Ni

Quote Originally Posted by baccheion
    Yea, the match scores seem to work well to get a sense of things.
    Not when my best match gets a 70 and my worst match gets a 90. It's a pretty big miscalculation. I reckon part of the problem is that the website doesn't take major things like body language and manner of speech into account. At least it's not as bad as PlentyOfFish, which, judging by the fact that I'm at the top of my own matches list, seems to operate on the premise that anyone looking for a date is a narcissist.

They seem to work better if questions are answered honestly, weighted accurately, and if irrelevant questions are skipped.
    I'm not sure how you're forming this opinion unless you tried answering questions dishonestly, weighting them inaccurately, and responding to the irrelevant ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
    Not when my best match gets a 70 and my worst match gets a 90. It's a pretty big miscalculation. I reckon part of the problem is that the website doesn't take major things like body language and manner of speech into account. At least it's not as bad as PlentyOfFish, which, judging by the fact that I'm at the top of my own matches list, seems to operate on the premise that anyone looking for a date is a narcissist.

I'm not sure how you're forming this opinion unless you tried answering questions dishonestly, weighting them inaccurately, and responding to the irrelevant ones.
    If you answer questions in a way that's not inline with what you actually want, then someone may answer inline with what you said you wanted, rather than what you actually wanted, and that will artificially increase their match score. Also, if you take a very important question and weigh it lower, then someone answering that question correctly won't boost their match score as much as it should. Or, more commonly, if you weigh a question too heavily (especially one where most answer in the expected way), then it will greatly exaggerate someone's match %. Answering irrelevant questions will dilute the distribution of the match %, and give people an increased score for answering questions you don't care about. For example, if you answered 10 questions, but 8 of them were irrelevant to you, then someone could correctly answer those 8 questions only (skipping the other 2) and even though the other 2 are very important, they'll still get an "8/10." This will make it seem as though they are great matches, even though they really aren't (would answer the 2 questions you care about incorrectly).

I'm not sure what's going on in the specific situation you talk about, though. That seems strange. I've heard of people noticing they get along better with people with lower matches (communication is easier) in certain cases, but there usually isn't a reversal like this. They usually say they could see how the higher match could work in theory, but the spark wasn't there. My theory is that people aren't answering the important questions, answering enough of them (300+), answering them correctly, weighing them appropriately, and ignoring the other questions.

What were the enemy matches of the two people you mention? How many questions have you all answered?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    451 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp Ni

If you answer questions in a way that's not inline with what you actually want, then someone may answer inline with what you said you wanted, rather than what you actually wanted, and that will artificially increase their match score. Also, if you take a very important question and weigh it lower, then someone answering that question correctly won't boost their match score as much as it should. Or, more commonly, if you weigh a question too heavily (especially one where most answer in the expected way), then it will greatly exaggerate someone's match %. Answering irrelevant questions will dilute the distribution of the match %, and give people an increased score for answering questions you don't care about. For example, if you answered 10 questions, but 8 of them were irrelevant to you, then someone could correctly answer those 8 questions only (skipping the other 2) and even though the other 2 are very important, they'll still get an "8/10." This will make it seem as though they are great matches, even though they really aren't (would answer the 2 questions you care about incorrectly).
    It's also entirely possible that disregarding all of the guidelines you just set forth will hook you up with an excellent match. A million things are
    possible

It should be pointed out that the level of importance you place on a question has a large impact on how much it gets factored into your match scores.

I'm not sure what's going on in the specific situation you talk about, though. That seems strange.
    It doesn't seem a bit strange to me. The information they collect from you about yourself is only a small, possibly deceptive sample of the whole.

They usually say they could see how the higher match could work in theory, but the spark wasn't there.
    Nope, in my particular case I can't even concede that point. What is the opposite of a spark? Something like a cold little fleck of ice. That's what was there--an outright frostiness.

I correctly answered well over 300 questions. I don't recall how many they answered or what their enemy scores were.

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/so

77% match
    19% enemy
    “A faint clap of thunder; Clouded skies; Perhaps rain comes – if so, will you stay here with me?”

Life belongs to the living, and he who lives must be prepared for changes. - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

'Know thyself'