User Tag List

First 56789 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by lulabelle View Post
    That's true, but it makes sense to me that extroverts overall experience positive emotions more often than other types. The extroverts I know are generally less depressive than the introverts I know.
    I suspect extraverts overall display their happiness more, almost by definition. This doesn't mean introverts feel any less happy inside.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyyukon View Post
    So I read this curious book called The Geography of Bliss: One Grump's Search for the Happiest Places in the World.

It wasn't much of a self-help book, per se, but you could glean some. It was mostly about the author's (unhappy author's) search around the globe studying different cultures and how they see happiness. It varies indeed.

But the interesting thing was this think tank/happiness laboratory in Holland called the World Database of Happiness. No joke.

And the researchers there discovered a method of determining a person's happiness that was surprisingly accurate. Certain brain centers are more active in happy people, plus other scientific indicators to compare.

But the main method was this: They simply asked if the person was happy or not.

I thought about it and it made total sense to me. I'm about to pass out, so that's all I got for now. I haven't done any research on extroverts vs. introverts and possible correlating happiness levels, so I can't speak to that at the moment, but I thought that their method for determining one's happiness was interesting.
    I'm sure these researchers are seeing something in the brain that is reproducible, but what correlation are they really making? Does it actually correlate with happiness, or contentment, or inner peace, or simply the absence of any sort of clinical depression or anxiety? Did they measure each subject many times, to correct for daily highs and lows in a person's emotional state prompted by ongoing events?

I find it hard to believe that an emotional state as individual and subjective as happiness can be predicted or measured in any statistically significant or scientifically reproducible way.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

triple id ESFP

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    I suspect extraverts overall display their happiness more, almost by definition. This doesn't mean introverts feel any less happy inside.

I'm sure these researchers are seeing something in the brain that is reproducible, but what correlation are they really making? Does it actually correlate with happiness, or contentment, or inner peace, or simply the absence of any sort of clinical depression or anxiety? Did they measure each subject many times, to correct for daily highs and lows in a person's emotional state prompted by ongoing events?

I find it hard to believe that an emotional state as individual and subjective as happiness can be predicted or measured in any statistically significant or scientifically reproducible way.
    I think it's more 'better mood' as reported by the study subjects over a period of time. If you're grumpy all the time you're not going to be happy, are you?

In one of the studies, introverts reported better moods after they engaged in more extroverted activities like calling a friend and going for a walk with a friend.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

I think it's more 'better mood' as reported by the study subjects over a period of time. If you're grumpy all the time you're not going to be happy, are you?

In one of the studies, introverts reported better moods after they engaged in more extroverted activities like calling a friend and going for a walk with a friend.
    I don't agree that "better mood" equates to happiness. Often I am happiest doing something alone. If people come around and intrude on that, I am forced into an extraverted situation and may indeed take on a foul mood. Introverts, or at least INTJs, are often accused of being depressed or even angry when in fact we are simply thinking - perhaps thinking of something that makes us truly happy.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    I don't agree that "better mood" equates to happiness. Often I am happiest doing something alone. If people come around and intrude on that, I am forced into an extraverted situation and may indeed take on a foul mood. Introverts, or at least INTJs, are often accused of being depressed or even angry when in fact we are simply thinking - perhaps thinking of something that makes us truly happy.
    Fair enough, I still think that on a very basic level introverts tend to experience lower moods overall and more frequent, prolonged negative emotions.

Entertaining Cracker five sounds's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

Fair enough, I still think that on a very basic level introverts tend to experience lower moods overall and more frequent, prolonged negative emotions.
    Sorry to cut in, but I think we just deal with it differently.
    You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by five sounds View Post
    Sorry to cut in, but I think we just deal with it differently.
    maybe. it's really impossible to compare exactly just from one's perspective; i don't think the findings from all those studies and this study http://keirsey.files.wordpress.com/2...rvey_graph.gif are totally bogus.

A lot of extroverts I've known didn't really relate to my melancholic nature and I kinda felt like a downer around them. They definitely went through shyt too but it didn't seem to be as constant and overall they seemed to have better moods/a more positive, upbeat energy than me or other introverts I've known. This is not to diminish anything anyone goes through, I just do think there is probably some kind of correlation between happiness/unhappiness and introversion/extroversion... there's just too much data and stuff I've observed and others have observed for it not to be somewhat true. jmo

Just as the introverted Mole wishes he was more like the extroverted Water Rat, so do I.

Sometimes I am tempted to be like the ultra extroverted Toad, but then I think better of it.

Perhaps it is good for me to have extroverted friends like the Water Rat and Toad, but then I know I can never really be like them. And I am just grateful they like me.

But how glorious to be an extroverted Water Rat in a bijou residence beside the sparking river.

The Rat sculled smartly across and made fast. Then he held up his forepaw as the Mole
    stepped gingerly down. ‘Lean on that!’ he said. ‘Now then, step lively!’
    and the Mole to his surprise and rapture found himself actually seated in the stern of a
    real boat.
    ‘This has been a wonderful day!’ said he, as the Rat shoved off and took to the sculls
    again. ‘Do you know, I’ve never been in a boat before in all my life.’ ‘What?’ cried the
    Rat, open-mouthed: ‘Never been in a- you never- well I what have you been doing,
    then?’ ‘Is it so nice as all that?’ asked the Mole shyly, though he was quite prepared to
    believe it as he leant back in his seat and surveyed the cushions, the oars, the rowlocks,
    and all the fascinating fittings, and felt the boat sway lightly under him.
    ‘Nice? It’s the only thing,’ said the Water Rat solemnly, as he leant forward for his
    stroke. ‘Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing- absolute nothing half so much
    worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Simply messing,’

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

I wish that type didn't exist, because it isn't real.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

If I had to pick a type I'd rather be, then it would probably be ENTP, ESTP, or ENTJ. Those guys are always getting the good rap about how tough they are, but us ENFP's seem to be associated with all the childlike wusses like Hay Lin from WITCH, Chuck from Mazerunner, and Robin Williams. The only ENFP that I can think of that is close to tough is Peeta Mellark, and maybe Anakin Skywalker. My type somewhat contradicts my enneagram, so it's a little weird.