User Tag List

View Poll Results: Does your voice match your type?

20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Absolutely

8 40.00%
  • Ehh, close enough

8 40.00%
  • Not even sort of

4 20.00%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Does your voice match your type?

Suave y Fuerte Array BadOctopus's Avatar
    5w4 sp/sx

Question Does your voice match your type?

I've always been fascinated by the human voice. (Which is kind of strange, since I easily tire of the sound of people talking.) Lately I've been wondering if there's any correlation between the MBTI types and their voices. Do different types have their own unique vocal traits?

For instance, I'm an INTJ, and I have quite a deep voice, with very little modulation. When I'm talking about something that interests or excites me, there's some fluctuation in my pitch, but not much. The few other INTJs I've met have had similar voices. My boyfriend, on the other hand, is an ENFP, and his voice is somewhere in the middle of the vocal range, but when he's excited, he talks A MILE A MINUTE. And very often, his sentences end with an upward inflection, like he's asking a question. Sometimes I can't help but tease him about it, because it makes him sound like a Valley girl.

So what about you? Does your voice reflect your type?

I don't know. I have a tendency to speak quickly because I don't love speaking that much. I would much rather send an email or text. My voice is probably somewhat deep for a woman. My ENFJ, who you would think would be much more bubbly and vocal, isn't. He has a really deep, attention getting voice and I think most people tend to hear him the first time so, no repeating.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

5 sp/so

I don't know! I have a very high and soft (but not shrill) voice, much to my chagrin. I speak very quietly and have difficulty raising my voice. Around most people my voice probably comes off as very muted/restrained and I have to consciously try to inject emotion into my tone of voice, unless I am worked up about something. I don't speak slowly but I do frequently pause or say "uhh..." mid-sentence if I haven't deliberately rehearsed the entire sentence prior to speaking. I think and revise my word choice even as I speak; I am not able to sacrifice accuracy for fluency.

I haven't had anyone comment on my halting speech before but it bothers me immensely as I see it being very disruptive to the flow of my words (as well as making me seem perpetually unsure or unconfident in my words.)
    I'm not entirely sure how to interpret this thread but if the sharp drops in Ti (as opposed to Te) can be likened to pauses, then that's me.

Ti > true neutral:514:LII:RluEI:ISA < Ni

4w5 sx/sp

My voice is deep and soft, like an INFP
    Likes gromit, Evee, Stanton Moore liked this post

Senior Member Array Hitoshi-San's Avatar
    6w7 sp/sx

I talk super fast and have a bit of a twang on some words. I can't pronounce the "v" sound in "never" or "over". Sometimes my voice is high and raspy, other times it's almost like a snarl, other times it's flat and low. Mostly flat and low, but an old teacher of mine said I have a soft voice

literally your mother Array PocketFullOf's Avatar

my voice is rather deep and monotone for a girl. It's not the deepest though and I'm not completely monotone, but sometimes I use inflection incorrectly.

Taking a concept to it's logical end is rarely logical or relevant to the subject at hand.
    Johari Nohari
    7w6-3w2-1w9 / sCUA|I| / SER SEI
    Neutral Good
    bagfullofclocks | type me if you can

Junior Member Array
    4w5 sp/sx

According to that thing my voice is somewhere in between Fi and Ne which are the two biggest functions for INFP, right?

1w2 so/sp

I guess I'm a lyric baritone.
    1w2-6w5-3w2 so/sp

"I took one those personality tests. It came back negative." - Dan Mintz

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Array Cellmold's Avatar

It must be hard to discern within the different regional accents of any country, which have their own tonal differences in the first place. But @Nicodemus linked to the chart I had in mind from before.

However upon absorbing the collection of adjectives for each one I couldn't place them mentally when I hear speech. But then they are more likely mixed up together in different contexts for the speaker, possibly as a different function comes into play. Or it could be my poor ability to visualise in my mind's eye something I haven't got much experience of, or paid much attention to.

But using my mum as an example, her general tone is somewhat like the Fe described one, but alone with those she feels comfortable in expressing open criticism it turns more into the Ti tone and " appears " is an apt description, because 'appears' isn't the same as 'is'.

Certainly that pseudo-knowledgeable arrogance goes for me as well.
    "An upsidedown wire heart
    Being sucked into a periscope
    Still the mind is dull
    Like you need another excuse"

… a theory is primarily a form of insight, i.e. a way of looking
    at the world, and not a form of knowledge of how the world is….
    .. all our different ways of thinking are to be considered as
    different ways of looking at the one reality, each with some
    domain in which it is clear and adequate….
    - David Bohm