User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Default Functions That Bend Inward (Just Explaining Some Discrepancies)

No matter how much people-watching I do, people still remain a mystery to me in some ways. But at least I've moved beyond the old impression I used to have that people's thinking and behavior are unique instead of moving in patterns that appear similar from person to person.

Knowing that the auxiliary of a type can bend inward is just a little more information to add to the mystery.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Mal12345 View Post
    Knowing that the auxiliary of a type can bend inward is just a little more information to add to the mystery.
    Thank you for clearing that up!

The more information we can add to the mystery, the more informational the mystery becomes.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by reckful View Post
    Thank you for clearing that up!

The more information we can add to the mystery, the more informational the mystery becomes.
    I don't understand. I thought the OP was informational, as well as explanatory. Or are you saying it was?

All I'm saying is that, for example, your auxiliary Te bends inward, in towards the psyche and away from the external, to become more like Ti, bringing structure to the internal realm of ideas and intuitions.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

All I'm saying is that, for example, your auxiliary Te bends inward, in towards the psyche and away from the external, to become more like Ti, bringing structure to the internal realm of ideas and intuitions.
    And are you saying that an extravert's auxiliary correspondingly "bends outward" — e.g., that an ENTP's auxiliary Ti would bend out towards the external and away from the psyche, to become more like Te, bringing structure to the external realm?

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

And are you saying that an extravert's auxiliary correspondingly "bends outward" — e.g., that an ENTP's auxiliary Ti would bend out towards the external and away from the psyche, to become more like Te, bringing structure to the external realm?
    The auxiliary function bends in the direction of the dominant function.

MBTI
    ENTP

How does a bending auxiliary function differ from its opposite orientation?

Another member, perhaps Alea, mentioned that functions develop as wholes, so it would make sense that functions in the auxiliary role would flip more than others.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

The auxiliary function bends in the direction of the dominant function.
    And the reason the thread title is "Functions that bend inward" rather than "Functions that bend" is...?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so

If you look at the evidence from a empirical/non-type-dynamic perspective, I think it's more easily explained: the "functions" are really describing the additive factors of three preferences (so Ne = E + N + P). So, when one describes the function in its "auxiliary" form, there's a mild mismatch. So, for example, an INTP prefers I + N +P, rather than the E + N + P that comprises "Ne". (Though to be fair, I think the function description are a little less weighted to the E/I preference than to the other two grouped preferences, perhaps so the descriptions can cover the "auxiliary" form).

Therefore, both INPs and ENPs will share the additive qualities of N + P, but there will be differences because the E/I preference is different. This means that there should be a pure "N+P" description what will cover much of what "Ne" is, and apply equally well to INPs and ENPs.

One can see this when one hears things like "INTPs seem almost to direct their extraverted intuition inward, being largely focused on perceiving internal, abstract possibilities" and the like.

Of course, all this implies that is the possibility for descriptions of all the preference dyads and triads. For example, the "Te" of introverts is no doubt different than that of extraverts, because of the effects of the introversion preference itself. So, if we teased out T+J, we could then compare it to I+T+J and E+T+J, and so glean more precise descriptions and better insight. Such a description of T+J would apply particularly well to ambiverts (with middling E/I preference) that have a clear T and J preference.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

And the reason the thread title is "Functions that bend inward" rather than "Functions that bend" is...?
    Mistake. It should have read "inward/outward."

You'll find that I make lots of funny little mistakes. Most of them I am able to correct.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Opal View Post
    How does a bending auxiliary function differ from its opposite orientation?

Another member, perhaps Alea, mentioned that functions develop as wholes, so it would make sense that functions in the auxiliary role would flip more than others.
    The bending auxiliary function has less work to do for the dominant function, and is a more capable or competent function than it is in its opposite orientation. It has less work to do, but it functions more efficiently or even naturally. This is because, as a function that works implicitly, more in the background of cognition and less in the personality, the ego is not so invested in its products.

The Ne-aux for the INTP can produce a blizzard of observations, too many for Ti to handle. Thus Ti becomes uninterested in those observations - unless it is somehow able to systematize all these observations by sorting out the good from the bad (or silly). Ne-aux, when it bends inward, produces Ni observations, but not nearly as many as Ne, and so Ti is able to systematize them more effectively.