User Tag List

12 Last

Thread: Fe Empathy

MBTI
    INTP

Default Fe Empathy

Hello forum! I recently had Fe empathy described to me as the ability to feel what others feel. The INFP who said this contrasted this idea with Fi empathy which he said is the ability to imagine what he would feel if he was placed in others' shoes.

Do you agree with these ideas? How can Fe feel what another is feeling? Isn't this also an act of imagination, of putting yourself in someone else's place, like Fi?

And which function is more accurate in its empathy?

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

That's not really how it works.

I'm an Fe-dom and my empathy has a switch to it. I can more or less turn it on or off at will in various situations, but sometimes the switch has a mind of its own. The thing is, empathy isn't really dependent upon type.

What the above is describing is how the functions work. Fi is self-referential. This is why they seek to imagine how they would feel in a given situation by putting themselves in another persons shoes. They have a highly developed internal system of how to judge and understand the world. I'm an Fe-dom and don't actively do this, so I'll admit I don't really "get" how this works, and I just acknowledge that it does based off the fact that many many Fi-doms do this and do it well.

With Fe it makes judgements based off the external world. When it comes to the self it's sort of incidental. But describing it as the ability to feel what others feel has no relation to the function, or any function. The way Fe understands others is by comparing what they see in others to what they know of the world around them. Sort of going by bulk information as opposed to a singular entity (the self) as Fi does.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

Likes skylights liked this post

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Hard View Post
    That's not really how it works.

I'm an Fe-dom and my empathy has a switch to it. I can more or less turn it on or off at will in various situations, but sometimes the switch has a mind of its own. The thing is, empathy isn't really dependent upon type.

What the above is describing is how the functions work. Fi is self-referential. This is why they seek to imagine how they would feel in a given situation by putting themselves in another persons shoes. They have a highly developed internal system of how to judge and understand the world. I'm an Fe-dom and don't actively do this, so I'll admit I don't really "get" how this works, and I just acknowledge that it does based off the fact that many many Fi-doms do this and do it well.

With Fe it makes judgements based off the external world. When it comes to the self it's sort of incidental. But describing it as the ability to feel what others feel has no relation to the function, or any function. The way Fe understands others is by comparing what they see in others to what they know of the world around them. Sort of going by bulk information as opposed to a singular entity (the self) as Fi does.
    I don't understand this. Can you explain another way?

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

Quote Originally Posted by doppelganger View Post
    I don't understand this. Can you explain another way?
    In order to understand others and see where they come from, Fe will consider their experiences based off what it has observed in the past from others, what it knows about people in general, and will derive patterns off of that. Rather then looking inwards and thinking "how would I" feel, it will look outwards and think "how would others feel".
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

Likes doppelganger liked this post

In order to understand others and see where they come from, Fe will consider their experiences based off what it has observed in the past from others, what it knows about people in general, and will derive patterns off of that. Rather then looking inwards and thinking "how would I" feel, it will look outwards and think "how would others feel".
    I agree with this and it explains why I am constantly misunderstood. My actions don't pattern nicely with the world at large so people take unnecessary offence where none is intended. They look at my vacant stare and decide it means intentional rudeness (based off most people) instead of understanding it means a temporary inability on my part to stay focused. If Fe patterns society at large then uses that yardstick for assessing individuals then it makes incorrect assumptions about those who don't fit in with the norm. I know what I am feeling in every moment and yet there always appears to be some know it all happy to tell me what I am feeling whilst standing outside my body.

Needless to say my Fi is stronger than my Fe

Empathy is related to extraversion. It is also an introjection.

Chapter 7 in Psychological Types discusses empathy at some length:

Psychological Types, by C.G. Jung
    Facetious Frank

MBTI
    INTP

You identify patterns using Ni, for example. Do Si-Fe users do the same with Si, then? And what about social norms that are inculcated in you: are these accepted as another type of pattern you use to evaluate ppl in the same way you use patterns you've identified yourself?

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I've always had trouble feeling as others feel - correct me if I'm wrong, but this is more of a feeling thing, not just Fi or Fe. Fe could possibly relate to charm or being outwardly considerate.

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by doppelganger View Post
    You identify patterns using Ni, for example. Do Si-Fe users do the same with Si, then? And what about social norms that are inculcated in you: are these accepted as another type of pattern you use to evaluate ppl in the same way you use patterns you've identified yourself?
    To an extent, yes. Usually when I feel a really deep empathy for someone it's either because of the visible distress I observe in them. Or, it's because after I find out what has happened to them I realize the implications of the tragic event. For example, I spent a year volunteering at a pediatric clinic that specialized in treating abused children. Often I would feel deep empathy for these kids; but not because I was imaging what it would be like to be abused. Usually it was because I would think about the fact that their lives were changed forever by things that were out of their control and how that was going to impact them later. Does that make sense? My empathy was based on things I knew about their situation and how that would affect them.

Because of Si, if I encounter someone who had tragic experiences similar to my life, those feelings will player a greater role in the process because I can summon them readily.
    Friends, waffles, work

"The problem is, when you depend on a substitute for love, you can never get enough" - Louis Cozolino

3w2 6w7 1w2
    *Gryffindor*

Likes doppelganger liked this post