Thread: Fe Empathy

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ????

Quote Originally Posted by doppelganger View Post
    Hello forum! I recently had Fe empathy described to me as the ability to feel what others feel. The INFP who said this contrasted this idea with Fi empathy which he said is the ability to imagine what he would feel if he was placed in others' shoes.

Do you agree with these ideas? How can Fe feel what another is feeling? Isn't this also an act of imagination, of putting yourself in someone else's place, like Fi?

And which function is more accurate in its empathy?
    I'm not sure if empathy can be connected to neither of them. I think you can mentally understand what other people go through and then you can also feel it emotionally. Even psychopathic people can mentally understand what somebody might feel but they lack the emotional side.

I think empathy is related to mirror cells in our brain. Maybe the lack of mirror cell or disfunction of mirror cells is causing problems in empathy.
    Likes doppelganger liked this post

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Quote Originally Posted by Paladin-X View Post
    Empathy is related to extraversion. It is also an introjection.

Chapter 7 in Psychological Types discusses empathy at some length:

Psychological Types, by C.G. Jung
    I think its important to mention that Jung used a bit wider definition for empathy than just relating on an emotional level. In jungian terms, you can have thinking type of empathy for example and its not the same as general term of empathy.

While projection is adjusting the image of an external object based on what is inside(hence it corresponds with introversion), introjection adjusts self according to the external object(corresponds with extraversion).

Empathy is first projection to the object, then adjusting self accordingly(introjecting). When talking in general term of empathy, emotional contents are first projected onto someone(you see what emotions the other person has based on your own interpretation of it), then self is adjusted to this(you feel the emotion of the other person). This sort of process is not based on one function alone, in fact it uses other processes as well than just cognitive functions alone.
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Showbread View Post
    To an extent, yes. Usually when I feel a really deep empathy for someone it's either because of the visible distress I observe in them. Or, it's because after I find out what has happened to them I realize the implications of the tragic event. For example, I spent a year volunteering at a pediatric clinic that specialized in treating abused children. Often I would feel deep empathy for these kids; but not because I was imaging what it would be like to be abused. Usually it was because I would think about the fact that their lives were changed forever by things that were out of their control and how that was going to impact them later. Does that make sense? My empathy was based on things I knew about their situation and how that would affect them.

Because of Si, if I encounter someone who had tragic experiences similar to my life, those feelings will player a greater role in the process because I can summon them readily.
    I do that, too. I can see the consequences for them--what will happen--and that makes me sad. Although I don't necessarily think of it, it's only one step further to think how they're going to feel when those bad things happen, so it is like what Hard described as imagining what others feel in their situations.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by alcea rosea View Post
    I'm not sure if empathy can be connected to neither of them. I think you can mentally understand what other people go through and then you can also feel it emotionally. Even psychopathic people can mentally understand what somebody might feel but they lack the emotional side.

I think empathy is related to mirror cells in our brain. Maybe the lack of mirror cell or disfunction of mirror cells is causing problems in empathy.
    What do you mean by "mirror cells"? How do they work?

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    I think its important to mention that Jung used a bit wider definition for empathy than just relating on an emotional level. In jungian terms, you can have thinking type of empathy for example and its not the same as general term of empathy.

While projection is adjusting the image of an external object based on what is inside(hence it corresponds with introversion), introjection adjusts self according to the external object(corresponds with extraversion).

Empathy is first projection to the object, then adjusting self accordingly(introjecting). When talking in general term of empathy, emotional contents are first projected onto someone(you see what emotions the other person has based on your own interpretation of it), then self is adjusted to this(you feel the emotion of the other person). This sort of process is not based on one function alone, in fact it uses other processes as well than just cognitive functions alone.
    Can you unpack this idea? What else is involved in this process of projection-introjection?

And how do you think a psychopath understands feelings in others? If I use your idea of projection-introjection, it seems a psychopath would project his understanding of feelings on to others using visual and other cues, but then not introject others' feeling into himself? So is psychopathy this inability to introject?

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Can you unpack this idea? What else is involved in this process of projection-introjection?

And how do you think a psychopath understands feelings in others? If I use your idea of projection-introjection, it seems a psychopath would project his understanding of feelings on to others using visual and other cues, but then not introject others' feeling into himself? So is psychopathy this inability to introject?
    This issue is such complex and involves so many things that, im just going to have to tell you to google it or read some book on psychology. Like @alcea rosea mentioned, it involves mirror neurons for example. You can find a lot of articles from google about the topic
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so/sp

What do you mean by "mirror cells"? How do they work?
    Mirror neurons are neurons that fire in the frontal lobe that enable us to experience/mirror the emotions of others.
    Friends, waffles, work

"The problem is, when you depend on a substitute for love, you can never get enough" - Louis Cozolino

3w2 6w7 1w2
    *Gryffindor*

Likes Hard liked this post

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Quote Originally Posted by Showbread View Post
    Mirror neurons are neurons that fire in the frontal lobe that enable us to experience/mirror the emotions of others.
    Its not just about emotions and there are mirror neurons elsewhere also
    — C.G. Jung

Read