User Tag List

123 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 37

  1. #1
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    13,989

    Default What Do You Blame Stress On?

    When you are stressed out do you tend to blame something for it or rationalize it? (A rationalization is a credible-sounding explanation which fails to get to the root of a problem or acts as a subconscious ruse to avoid thinking about the root of the problem.)

    I'm working on a theory that people will blame or rationalize stress in terms of their dominant or even auxiliary function. For example, Se will work to blame stress on something wrong with the body, such as being hungry or tired. I don't know if this is related to the perceiving (S or N) or judging (T or F) functions, or both.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

  2. #2
    Post Human Post Qlip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,472

    Default

    Rationalization of stressful situations is always associated with things I did or didn't do. The buck always stops at me, even if it's out of my hands. I understand this is more of an enneagram related thing, in my case being 4 sp/sx, a kind of mini-meglomania.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    13,989

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    Rationalization of stressful situations is always associated with things I did or didn't do. The buck always stops at me, even if it's out of my hands. I understand this is more of an enneagram related thing, in my case being 4 sp/sx, a kind of mini-meglomania.
    How is that rationalization? If it's a situation where someone else was at fault do you blame yourself to spare the other person?
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

  4. #4
    Post Human Post Qlip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,472

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mal12345 View Post
    How is that rationalization? If it's a situation where someone else was at fault do you blame yourself to spare the other person?
    I always blame myself, but it's not to spare the other person. For example: The other person was a dick; It's my fault for trusting him. I have no control over other people. You can attribute that to a Ne Fi outlook, but I haven't seen it as a common pattern in ENFPs.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    13,989

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    I always blame myself, but it's not to spare the other person. For example: The other person was a dick; It's my fault for trusting him. I have no control over other people. You can attribute that to a Ne Fi outlook, but I haven't seen it as a common pattern in ENFPs.
    You have more control over other people than you realize, so I would say that's the core of the problem which you are rationalizing as "your fault."

    And it's an Fi thing.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

  6. #6
    Post Human Post Qlip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,472

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mal12345 View Post
    You have more control over other people than you realize, so I would say that's the core of the problem which you are rationalizing as "your fault."

    And it's an Fi thing.
    It could almost always be described as Fi or Ne, because of functions. I know other ENFPs who would automatically blame the other person, and it would even more likely be a Fi reaction.

    This is actually besides the point of your question. The order goes: I feel cranky->I diagnose the issue. I don't rationalize.

    I could diagnose incorrectly, but I always intentionally stave off off-handedly identifying why I'm cranky. I am comfortable in being cranky for no explanation what so ever, it my default form of being cranky. I still identify this with enneagram 4, especially 4w5, because we are constantly monitoring and cataloging our emotional states, and often inhabit them purposefully without regards to their beginnings.

  7. #7
    ಠ﹏ಠ Glint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    MBTI
    TiNi
    Enneagram
    5 sp/so
    Posts
    107

    Default

    I rationalize first, but may then proceed to informally assign blame to something (typically the situation as a whole, human nature, society, etc.)

    I rarely blame specific people.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Hitoshi-San's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6
    Posts
    1,077

    Default

    Being an overachiever. School. Overthinking social situations. Extracurriculars. Family. Things that you can manage and bend, but are still not escapable.

  9. #9
    Administrator highlander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni
    Posts
    17,885

    Default

    I blame stress on myself. I self impose it because I sort of feed off of it. That is I habitually put myself into situations where I will be under stress because I enjoy it - mostly. Sometimes, I want to retire to a beautiful island and do nothing but if I were to do that, I would soon need to do something productive.

    Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

    Tri-type 639

  10. #10
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    13,989

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    It could almost always be described as Fi or Ne, because of functions. I know other ENFPs who would automatically blame the other person, and it would even more likely be a Fi reaction.

    This is actually besides the point of your question. The order goes: I feel cranky->I diagnose the issue. I don't rationalize.

    I could diagnose incorrectly, but I always intentionally stave off off-handedly identifying why I'm cranky. I am comfortable in being cranky for no explanation what so ever, it my default form of being cranky. I still identify this with enneagram 4, especially 4w5, because we are constantly monitoring and cataloging our emotional states, and often inhabit them purposefully without regards to their beginnings.
    I usually resist psychologizing posters on this forum - but blaming yourself in those circumstances is a defense mechanism called introjection.

    Now that I've come off sounding sufficiently pedantic - monitoring and cataloging your emotional states has nothing to do with the question of how you react to jerks - perhaps indirectly if you monitor your reaction - but blaming yourself is not an instance of monitoring or cataloging. It is an Fi response, a feeling of personal rejection. This is because Fi, not Ne, functions in such circumstances by reacting to signs of personal rejection.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Glint View Post
    I rationalize first, but may then proceed to informally assign blame to something (typically the situation as a whole, human nature, society, etc.)

    I rarely blame specific people.
    What is your MBTI type?
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

Similar Threads

  1. What do you want written on your tombstone?
    By Saslou in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 72
    Last Post: 11-30-2017, 11:38 PM
  2. What do you look like on the inside?
    By Fluffywolf in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 69
    Last Post: 06-28-2012, 09:06 AM
  3. What do you buy on Ebay?
    By Wiley45 in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 07-12-2009, 04:11 PM
  4. [SJ] SJ's, what do you score on the enneagram (using the link provided)?
    By cogdecree in forum The SJ Guardhouse (ESFJ, ISFJ, ESTJ, ISTJ)
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 04-15-2009, 08:37 PM
  5. What do you spend your money on?
    By ygolo in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 01-11-2009, 10:57 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO