• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What kind of introvert are you?

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
A new Scientific American article talks about way to break "introversion" (not necessarily just Jungian introversion) into for sub scales that have the handy acronym STAR: social, thinking, anxious, and restrained. These sub scales are taken from a masters thesis by Jennifer Odessa Grimes.

The blog entry includes a hand-scored quiz. (I may make an javascript version later, but sadly I'm in the middle of my work day.)

At any rate, I do it's helpful to keep in mind what people mean by "introverted," since the popular usages cover a lot of territory.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
the quiz on the link scores itself!

Social Introvert

You spend a lot of time by yourself—and you're completely okay with that. You are happy with the small group of friends that you have and you avoid large crowds like the plague.

like any word there are a lot of meanings :)

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I got restrained introvert

but that's in unfamilar situations if I'm comfortable I will tell you everything and you might want to punch me.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't think you pick "one" type of introversion -- you rank yourself in all four, since they are different types of introversion. You could technically be high in more than one category.

Social Introversion (24L/30A/36H) = 39
Thinking Introversion (28L/34A/40H) = 48
Anxious Introversion (23L/30A/37H) = 38
Restrained Introversion (25L/31A/37H) = 35

I scored high in three of them, but the obvious highest was Thinking introversion.

interesting footnote:

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
Thinking introvert apparently, surprised I didn't get anxious.

You have a great relationship with yourself because you spend a lot of time thinking about what kind of person you are, daydreaming, and fantasizing about the future. You enjoy your rich inner mental life, and you like to think about how you would act or think if you were subjected to circumstances faced by other people.

reckful

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
"Social introvert."

"You spend a lot of time by yourself—and you're completely okay with that. You are happy with the small group of friends that you have and you avoid large crowds like the plague."

mintleaf

MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp
Social Introversion (24L/30A/36H) = 36
Thinking Introversion (28L/34A/40H) = 49
Anxious Introversion (23L/30A/37H) = 36
Restrained Introversion (25L/31A/37H) = 36

Kephalos

J.M.P.P. R.I.P. B5: RLOAI
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
I scored highest on "Anxious introvert" but I can relate to all the other categories.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I did the paper one and got

Social-39
Thinking Introversion-40
Anxious Introversion-37
Restrained Introversion- 42

aliciacan

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
Social Introversion from the quiz, and a lot of Restrained Introversion things tick off for me too.

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Here's a self-scoring, plain-jane javascript version that should give more exact scoring, rather than just the highest category. ("I'm a programmer, Jim, not a graphic designer!")

Let me know if you see any mistakes/errors/etc. For convenience, here are the low/average/high ranges for each scale (note: average is between 30-34):

Social Introversion - below 24 low, around 30 average, above 36 high​
Thinking Introversion - below 28 low, around 34 average, above 40 high
Anxious Introversion - below 23 low, around 30 average, above 37 high
Restrained Introversion - below 25 low, around 31 average, above 37 high

Ghost

Megustalations
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Social Introversion – 44
Thinking Introversion – 42
Anxious Introversion – 38
Restrained Introversion – 37

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
Social - 41
Thinking - 31
Anxious - 36
Restrained - 40

I think that Thinking Introversion might be to do with Intuition? I don't seem to have this inner life of analysis, or I just don't recognise it.

Glint

ಠ﹏ಠ
MBTI Type
TiNi
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Social: 41
Thinking: 45
Anxious: 41
Restrained: 44

ಠ_ಠ

The thinking introversion statement 9 uses the words 'daydream' and 'fantasize,' which to me are words with positive connotations.
I worry about things that could (not) happen to me, but I don't 'daydream' about things I hope will happen to me.
Therefore I gave a low score (2) for that question, though if it had been phrased differently, it would have been a sure 4-5.

á´…eparted

passages
Social: 22 (low)
Thinking: 38 (average)
Anxious: 23 (low)
Restrained: 31 (average)

Safe to say I am not that introverted. Though I am not surprised about thinking introversion being somewhat high. When I was younger I was FAR more self-reflective and self-focused than I am now. It was actually a hinderance/problem so I have eased back and have less of a need for it now (it requires less active thought).

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Social: 37
Thinking: 49
Anxious: 36
Restrained: 28

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Thinking Introversion

You have a great relationship with yourself because you spend a lot of time thinking about what kind of person you are, daydreaming, and fantasizing about the future. You enjoy your rich inner mental life, and you like to think about how you would act or think if you were subjected to circumstances faced by other people.

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4
Thinking Introversion.