User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    INFJ

Default Your personality's "highest value"?

I don't know if any of you have read this essay? INFJ Archetypes
    I don't think I understand it all, but one thing I found interesting is how she (or he, John Beebe, in the first place) puts the 1st and 4th function (the INFJ is just an example) on the same "axis", thus showing that the 4th so-called "inferior" function works "in tandem" with the 1st, that they actually depend on each other, like two sides of a coin.

(see the link for picture)

In this model, the vertical axis operates as the "spine" of the personality. Now here is a very important concept to grasp: while the dominant function is at the top of the axis, notice how the "inferior" function supports it. The inferior function suddenly snaps into view as the "anchor" of the personality, and this function cradles many of the personality's aspirations. Rather than operating as a repository of shame and inadequacy (as it is usually portrayed), it is re-cast as a source of pride and inspiration. The so-called "inferior" function now becomes a storehouse of purpose and represents the personality's highest value. (It may take you some time to take that notion in, especially if you've learned to "demonize" your inferior function.)
    The 4th function "represents the personality's highest value?" What do you say about that? I'm not sure I understand completely but I come to think of the all the INJ people who become buddhists or the like, who put this very high emphasis on physical awareness, living here and now - INJs' 4th function, Extraverted Sensing. Is this what she means? (I still don't get it...)

It would be interesting to hear your thoughts on this... especially, if you're by any chance not INFJ/INTJ, what then? What does it mean that, for example, Te is the INFP's "highest value"?

MBTI
    INTJ

Unluckily, I'm INTJ. But I'm one of those who stopped demonising its Se and started appreciating it. In the last few years I understood that my body has the same dignity of my mind, even if somewhat less developed, and started accepting more the inputs and the needs of it, and most important than all I started exercising much more regularly and stopped denying to others the fact that I have phisical needs. I'm still more at ease alone with my mind, but I developped a better balance with my body. Still, I see it as a tool and not my highest value.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by sleepless View Post
    The 4th function "represents the personality's highest value?" What do you say about that? I'm not sure I understand completely but I come to think of the all the INJ people who become buddhists or the like, who put this very high emphasis on physical awareness, living here and now - INJs' 4th function, Extraverted Sensing. Is this what she means? (I still don't get it...)
    Hmmm... It would be worth going through all the primary possibilities and tie them to the inferior. The Ni/Se approach makes sense to me -- I do see the pattern where the "mystical" personality, since there is no inherent way to look at things except by choice, thus can merely "exist" within Se and accept reality for what it is.

With Ti/Fe, well, I never really accepted Fe until my Ti realized views a civil social structure as not only legitimate but useful. It makes sense to regulate how people approach each other in order to remain efficient in communication, so that you can be freed up to think.

But it also ties into other logical ideas: Since Ti tells me people have equal value, all things considered, then I need to consider emotional and relational needs legitimate rather than as intrusive since there are those people who benefit from having them. Fe also is less about emoting raw emotion and more about expressing intention and commitment -- it's a language that Ti can use to express itself in a way that does not demand raw emoting.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

this makes sense. some of your perceiving and some of your judging has to be following the external standard instead of internal, or vice versa. more self-actualized people learn to augment their dominant with their inferior.

i think the same is true of the middle two functions. your auxiliary will only be fully functional when you can use it in tandem with your tertiary. (plus, the auxiliary alone usually has no chance of keeping up with the dominant/inferior axis, and even if it could, it would only be pointed one way, so wouldn't be too helpful.)

my INTJ friend is extremely in tune with Se -- she runs/hikes everyday and is very conscious of what foods she eats, etc. she knows how to savor sensation as it comes. and she's much more at peace than most of the INJs i hang around (at least 7).

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer
    Hmmm... It would be worth going through all the primary possibilities and tie them to the inferior. The Ni/Se approach makes sense to me -- I do see the pattern where the "mystical" personality, since there is no inherent way to look at things except by choice, thus can merely "exist" within Se and accept reality for what it is.
    Yes, interesting... they obviously complement each other in a way as do Ti/Fe, and also Si/Ne (memory, experiences, detail/future possibilities, big picture) and supposedly Fi/Te...

Here's another piece of the essay:

Anima/Animus: extraverted Sensing for the INFJ
    What does this mean? Paradigm shift alert! It's important to recognize that Beebe radically departs from traditional Type theory in his representation of the inferior function. This function gets lived as an individual's purpose in life; their inspiration, ideal, or "cause" that represents a person's highest value. When operating in this position, the individual is inspired as if by a mythological muse. In an INFJ's case, the normal goal of introverted iNtuition is to sense gestalts. On the same axis, extraverted Sensing will prompt INFJs to express their iNtuition (or their sense of gestalts) in some kind of concrete fashion in the real world; to make some idea "real."
    "Sense gestalts", anyone?

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Intelligence, integrity.. absolutely.

If they'd have to be condense to one, then make up whatever phrase needed to capture the two
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INTJ

I am INTJ. I can see that in art Ni and Se really come together. My art, which uses Se, allows me to express my Ni. Also Ni lets me see the big picture of how things fit together and Se lets me see the little details, so together I get a clear picture of things.

It is hard to explain Ni with Te, because Ni isn't logical. It is hard to explain Ni with Fi, because it is hard to explain the difference between what you feel intuitively and what you feel emotionally. Also hard for me to explain Ni with Fi because they are both introverted functions and introverted functions are more difficult to share with other people than extroverted functions.

I think Se also brings together all of my top 4 functions through my art. My art lets me express my Ni and Fi and it also uses my Te for technical information about drawing, use of materials, etc.

Yes, I think I "sense gestalts." These are the brief flashes where it seems like everything fits together, like I can see the threads in the tapestry of life and how they are all connected.

Ilah

MBTI
    INFJ

I am INTJ. I can see that in art Ni and Se really come together. My art, which uses Se, allows me to express my Ni. Also Ni lets me see the big picture of how things fit together and Se lets me see the little details, so together I get a clear picture of things.
    Ok, this is a good example, thanks. I have a friend who I never knew how to categorize, it's like he's NT but still put a great emphasis on art, sex, beauty, and I thought he must have Se as his 2nd function or something. I can see now that he's INTJ.

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by Homini Lupus View Post
    Unluckily, I'm INTJ. But I'm one of those who stopped demonising its Se and started appreciating it. In the last few years I understood that my body has the same dignity of my mind, even if somewhat less developed, and started accepting more the inputs and the needs of it, and most important than all I started exercising much more regularly and stopped denying to others the fact that I have phisical needs. I'm still more at ease alone with my mind, but I developped a better balance with my body. Still, I see it as a tool and not my highest value.
    Agreed.

The body houses the mind. The healthier the body, the more efficient the mind will work.

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

I wish such a thing existed for ENFJs. I need some demystification of the Fe-primary electric bullwhip.
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious