• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

INTJ Sports

Nicodemus

schach3.jpg

No, seriously, what do you do to keep fit?

How often do you exercise? Does it entertain or bore you? Do you think some sports are particularly suited to your type?

Discuss, reveal, explain!

Kullervo

Permabanned
MBTI Type
N/A
Due to an aversion of public places and an even greater aversion of metrosexual men leering at me, I do my exercise at home or in the great outdoors. Gyms are no-go zones.

Typically, I will do an upper body workout consisting of press-ups, sit ups, wall plants and a range of free weight exercises one day, and alternate this with a jog of 5-10km (depending on the weather and how much time I want to spend). My rest day is Monday because I am busier then.

In summer, I really enjoy going on weekend hikes in the country around here. I am lucky in that it is only a 15 minute drive to complete wilderness and you can wander for days on end, hardly seeing anybody.

While sports may not be a natural career choice for INTJs that doesn't mean some of us don't enjoy exercising. For me at least, it just needs to be in an environment where my personal space is respected and my balls aren't going to be frozen solid. I think I've posted some pictures of myself with the dogs in the picture thread a while back...

Nicodemus

[...] alternate this with a jog of 5-10km (depending on the weather and how much time I want to spend).
I tried jogging for a while and found that, mentally, I just waited for the run to be over. No fun, no recreational effect, no interest in keeping it up.

I think I need a sport that either engages my thoughts or can be done while really doing something less boring. Of course, I have little interest in team sports.

Kullervo

Permabanned
MBTI Type
N/A
I tried jogging for a while and found that, mentally, I just waited for the run to be over. No fun, no recreational effect, no interest in keeping it up.

Well, I tell myself that I have to do it even when I don't enjoy it. Otherwise, how am I going to keep in shape. That kind of thinking is very negative though and it doesn't always work.

The main problem is figuring out what to do on a rainy day when I have done an upper body workout the day before. I don't feel like going out running...and I am naturally inclined to procrastinate if I am not enjoying something/don't find it interesting enough.

I think I need a sport that either engages my thoughts or can be done while really doing something less boring. Of course, I have little interest in team sports.

Well, in the end, my main motivation for keeping in shape is to be attractive, so it's not all about fun. I do play mind and strategy games like chess and Risk, which I enjoy a lot, but I view them more as hobbies and less as a means to an end.

Opal

MBTI Type
ENTP
As a potential Se-inferior, I frequent a local gym. It took dozens of renditions of my driven/avoidant/atrophied cycle for the regimen to stick, but now it's fairly effortless and very rewarding. For cardio I use recumbent bike machines (due to injuries) for 20 minutes of high-resistance training before lifting weights. Usually all of this is fueled by caffeine and loud music.

I played soccer/futbol prior to my limiting injuries and found the mechanics and calculations nice distractions from fatigue.

After a number of repetitions strenuous exercise becomes addictive and even the process feels appealing.

Kierva

#KUWK
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Same problem. Most of the time I find workouts to be repetitive and I find myself counting towards the end.

What works for me is to do things that aren't what you normally consider exercise - like walking around everywhere. Barring that, you need to create a specific goal to make any exercise seem worthwhile, because if you think about it, most of it is repetition.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It does? How long does it take to become addictive and appealing?

I never put much stock in addiction in excersize, at the very least it seems to be a very individual thing and its something I don't share.

gromit

likes this

Would you count tennis? I just got a racquet at the thrift store for super cheap and started hitting balls back and forth with a friend, but you can hit against a wall too. It's more engaging than just straight-up running.

Hiking is a pretty fun one too, esp if you live near beautiful and interesting landscapes that have challenging terrain, where you have to use your hands and figure out how to scramble up the trail a bit from time to time. Puzzle-like, sort of!

Even more puzzle-like would be rock climbing... I have done a little of that but don't own any gear... you can boulder without gear, or you can go to gym and/or rent some, again depending where you live. That definitely engages the mind, in a fun and different way! Esp as you push yourself to harder levels, you are really working both your body and your mind simultaneously.

Super fun :)

Mademoiselle

noʎ ɟo ǝʇnɔ ʍoH
MBTI Type
-NTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Mind:
I love chess and games alike..
Video games, movies and books are all very good for me.
Body:
I try to eat healthy food.
I hit the gym two times a week.​

Nicodemus

Would you count tennis? I just got a racquet at the thrift store for super cheap and started hitting balls back and forth with a friend, but you can hit against a wall too. It's more engaging than just straight-up running.
I did that when I was a kid, hitting a tennis ball against a wall. Currently I lack the wall, the racket, and the balls to do it (pun tolerated), unfortunately.

Hiking is a pretty fun one too, esp if you live near beautiful and interesting landscapes that have challenging terrain, where you have to use your hands and figure out how to scramble up the trail a bit from time to time. Puzzle-like, sort of!

Even more puzzle-like would be rock climbing... I have done a little of that but don't own any gear... you can boulder without gear, or you can go to gym and/or rent some, again depending where you live. That definitely engages the mind, in a fun and different way! Esp as you push yourself to harder levels, you are really working both your body and your mind simultaneously.
My flatmate persuaded me to go in-door climbing with him, maybe this Friday. The last time I climbed was... half my life ago. I will let you know how it went.

gromit

likes this
I did that when I was a kid, hitting a tennis ball against a wall. Currently I lack the wall, the racket, and the balls to do it (pun tolerated), unfortunately.

My flatmate persuaded me to go in-door climbing with him, maybe this Friday. The last time I climbed was... half my life ago. I will let you know how it went.

Cool yes tell me!

á´…eparted

passages

Might be a bit rough if you haven't been that physically active since it's a really strenuous activity. That said, they might have pulley systems to reduce weight making easier. Either way I suspect it will be fun so long as you can ignore other around you :D.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My most consistent activity is martial arts. I attend class twice per week, and try to practice outside of that several times per week. I really enjoy aerobics classes - yes, with the pudgy ladies and kitschy music. It's one of the few exercises I can simply lose myself in and the time flies by. I haven't been able to find a class that matches my schedule, though, so I try to do workout videos at home. Between trying to line up a new job and some other short-term time constraints, though, I haven't been very faithful to that routine lately.

In outdoors activity, I also like to hike. That's probably my top choice, especially since there are a few hiking areas relatively close by. I enjoy cross-country skiing, but we don't usually have enough snow to do that with any consistency. Finally I enjoy getting exercise through practical activities, like riding my bike for transportation, and chopping wood in my yard.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
schach3.jpg

No, seriously, what do you do to keep fit?

How often do you exercise? Does it entertain or bore you? Do you think some sports are particularly suited to your type?

Discuss, reveal, explain!

I am not doing a good job with this now. When I do, I tend to do the stationary bike and machines/strength training. I went to the health club today to reinitiate the membership, so expect to get started again soon. When I was younger, I used to love any kind of racket sport - tennis, ping-pong, badminton. I was not very good at Racquetball. Too fast for me. During 2008, I was playing tennis again and then the recession hit and I decided to quit and focus more on my job. I never started it up again.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I exercise with weights 2x week and some cardio 2x week. I'm on 2 curling teams in the winter months, it's much more of a workout than it looks.

Nicodemus

Cool yes tell me!
We were there for two hours or so, bouldering and climbing. Now my arms are limp, my knee is bloody, and my hands can no longer grasp with firmness, but it was fun enough. If the hall were not half a world away, I might do this every week. According to my flatemate, who also works there, I did not do too badly for a beginner. Having watched him boulder, I think it is only his upper-body strength and a tiny bit of technique that make him better.

Destiny

A wannabe dog
I suggest cycling and swimming.

Pros of cycling:

1) Great for recreational activity, at the same time, help to keep you fit by strengthening your leg mucles
2) Help save gas/transport money etc

Pros of swimming:

1) Good for recreational activity and is also challenging enough to hold your interest
2) A good opportunity to show off your muscular body and attract women

gromit

likes this
We were there for two hours or so, bouldering and climbing. Now my arms are limp, my knee is bloody, and my hands can no longer grasp with firmness, but it was fun enough. If the hall were not half a world away, I might do this every week. According to my flatemate, who also works there, I did not do too badly for a beginner. Having watched him boulder, I think it is only his upper-body strength and a tiny bit of technique that make him better.
YAY.

Yeah you are supposed to use as much leg as possible but the upper body strength sure helps too! If there are big enough rocks outdoors near where you live, you can put down a mat and do some bouldering on your own (or no mat, as long as you don't go too high).

Froody Blue Gem

Necromancing Scapelamb
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I've never really been good at sports and I am not into them either. Doing anything physical competitively, I have no interest in whatsoever, I don't have the stamina and coordination for it. I know those things need to be built up. While I want to keep in shape, I have other priorities in life over competitive sports.

Personally with exercise, part of me dreads it, but once I do it, I enjoy it. I do love swimming though, but not in a competitive way. I also do the elliptical, the exercise bike, and go for walks. I like to daydream, bounce around ideas when I go for walks.