User Tag List

12 Last

Thread: INTJ Sports

Default INTJ Sports

No, seriously, what do you do to keep fit?

How often do you exercise? Does it entertain or bore you? Do you think some sports are particularly suited to your type?

Discuss, reveal, explain!

Permabanned
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

Due to an aversion of public places and an even greater aversion of metrosexual men leering at me, I do my exercise at home or in the great outdoors. Gyms are no-go zones.

Typically, I will do an upper body workout consisting of press-ups, sit ups, wall plants and a range of free weight exercises one day, and alternate this with a jog of 5-10km (depending on the weather and how much time I want to spend). My rest day is Monday because I am busier then.

In summer, I really enjoy going on weekend hikes in the country around here. I am lucky in that it is only a 15 minute drive to complete wilderness and you can wander for days on end, hardly seeing anybody.

While sports may not be a natural career choice for INTJs that doesn't mean some of us don't enjoy exercising. For me at least, it just needs to be in an environment where my personal space is respected and my balls aren't going to be frozen solid. I think I've posted some pictures of myself with the dogs in the picture thread a while back...

Quote Originally Posted by Kullervo View Post
    [...] alternate this with a jog of 5-10km (depending on the weather and how much time I want to spend).
    I tried jogging for a while and found that, mentally, I just waited for the run to be over. No fun, no recreational effect, no interest in keeping it up.

I think I need a sport that either engages my thoughts or can be done while really doing something less boring. Of course, I have little interest in team sports.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    I tried jogging for a while and found that, mentally, I just waited for the run to be over. No fun, no recreational effect, no interest in keeping it up.
    Well, I tell myself that I have to do it even when I don't enjoy it. Otherwise, how am I going to keep in shape. That kind of thinking is very negative though and it doesn't always work.

The main problem is figuring out what to do on a rainy day when I have done an upper body workout the day before. I don't feel like going out running...and I am naturally inclined to procrastinate if I am not enjoying something/don't find it interesting enough.

I think I need a sport that either engages my thoughts or can be done while really doing something less boring. Of course, I have little interest in team sports.
    Well, in the end, my main motivation for keeping in shape is to be attractive, so it's not all about fun. I do play mind and strategy games like chess and Risk, which I enjoy a lot, but I view them more as hobbies and less as a means to an end.

MBTI
    ENTP

As a potential Se-inferior, I frequent a local gym. It took dozens of renditions of my driven/avoidant/atrophied cycle for the regimen to stick, but now it's fairly effortless and very rewarding. For cardio I use recumbent bike machines (due to injuries) for 20 minutes of high-resistance training before lifting weights. Usually all of this is fueled by caffeine and loud music.

I played soccer/futbol prior to my limiting injuries and found the mechanics and calculations nice distractions from fatigue.

After a number of repetitions strenuous exercise becomes addictive and even the process feels appealing.

Quote Originally Posted by Opalescence View Post
    After a number of repetitions strenuous exercise becomes addictive and even the process feels appealing.
    It does? How long does it take to become addictive and appealing?

Enneagram
    3w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Same problem. Most of the time I find workouts to be repetitive and I find myself counting towards the end.

What works for me is to do things that aren't what you normally consider exercise - like walking around everywhere. Barring that, you need to create a specific goal to make any exercise seem worthwhile, because if you think about it, most of it is repetition.
    C#2-C#5-F#5
    3 octaves, 2 notes and 1 semitone
    Supported range: F#2-F#4-C#5

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

It does? How long does it take to become addictive and appealing?
    I never put much stock in addiction in excersize, at the very least it seems to be a very individual thing and its something I don't share.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

Would you count tennis? I just got a racquet at the thrift store for super cheap and started hitting balls back and forth with a friend, but you can hit against a wall too. It's more engaging than just straight-up running.

Hiking is a pretty fun one too, esp if you live near beautiful and interesting landscapes that have challenging terrain, where you have to use your hands and figure out how to scramble up the trail a bit from time to time. Puzzle-like, sort of!

Even more puzzle-like would be rock climbing... I have done a little of that but don't own any gear... you can boulder without gear, or you can go to gym and/or rent some, again depending where you live. That definitely engages the mind, in a fun and different way! Esp as you push yourself to harder levels, you are really working both your body and your mind simultaneously.

Super fun
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

MBTI
    -NTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

Mind:
    I love chess and games alike..
    Video games, movies and books are all very good for me.
    Body:
    I try to eat healthy food.
    I hit the gym two times a week.
    Imagine this is the best thing you've ever read.