User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Default A CRITIQUE OF THE MYERS-BRIGGS TYPE INDICATOR AND ITS OPERATIONALIZATION OF CARL JUNG

The critique is found at: http://www.amsciepub.com/doi/abs/10....urnalCode=pr0&

"If two individuals perceive a situation to be the same, what produces differences in behavior? Using the statements above, we would conclude that they must have different dispositions or preferences for certain behaviors. Personality theory suggests that the two may have different personality preferences which influenced behavior."

Which "statements above" is the author of this critique referring to?

He is referring back to the distinction made previously in the article between dispositions and situations - simply, an external situation can have a stronger influence on behavior than internal disposition.

But don't some people simply have a disposition to being more strongly influenced by situations? Of course they do - or else some people are no better than robots reacting to their environments. Internal disposition is therefore always to be the primary object of study in personality research, although it is often seen only indirectly, through speech and behavior.

The dichotomy or distinction created by the critique's author is thus a flawed one. The author's critique of the MBTI is therefore also flawed because it is based on an invalid dichotomy.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”
    Likes highlander liked this post

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Mal12345 View Post
    The critique is found at: http://www.amsciepub.com/doi/abs/10....urnalCode=pr0&

"If two individuals perceive a situation to be the same, what produces differences in behavior? Using the statements above, we would conclude that they must have different dispositions or preferences for certain behaviors. Personality theory suggests that the two may have different personality preferences which influenced behavior."

Which "statements above" is the author of this critique referring to?

He is referring back to the distinction made previously in the article between dispositions and situations - simply, an external situation can have a stronger influence on behavior than internal disposition.

But don't some people simply have a disposition to being more strongly influenced by situations? Of course they do - or else some people are no better than robots reacting to their environments. Internal disposition is therefore always to be the primary object of study in personality research, although it is often seen only indirectly, through speech and behavior.
    Internal disposition will contribute regardless to the degree of impact of external situation, yes.

The problem with interpretation occurs in the area where the external situation is either prolonged enough or powerful enough to eradicate variance/resistance of internal disposition regardless of differences in disposition and strength.

e.g., as a rather crass example, two human beings might be significantly different physically (one can be a scrawny weakling and one can be genetically powerful with great endurance), but if you drop a building on both of them, they'll both die regardless and you can't determine their differences in that scenario.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Internal disposition will contribute regardless to the degree of impact of external situation, yes.

The problem with interpretation occurs in the area where the external situation is either prolonged enough or powerful enough to eradicate variance/resistance of internal disposition regardless of differences in disposition and strength.

e.g., as a rather crass example, two human beings might be significantly different physically (one can be a scrawny weakling and one can be genetically powerful with great endurance), but if you drop a building on both of them, they'll both die regardless and you can't determine their differences in that scenario.
    There's also some hypocrisy or at least inconsistency in these professional online critiques of the MBTI. They are based on the unscientific nature of the MBTI, and on the four dichotomies. Then the authors offer Big 5 or Hexaco as scientific alternatives to the MBTI - omitting the fact that they too are based on dichotomies (e.g., agreeableness/disabreeableness).

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

As for the HEXACO test itself, which is based on a 6 tier personality model, I could easily lie on the test If landing a job relied on my test performance. For example:

"I rarely hold a grudge, even against people who have badly wronged me."
    If I want to appear to be a nice guy to the employer, I will put a 1 for "strongly disagree." It depends on the job, however.
    "When working, I often set ambitious goals for myself." NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, not ambition! NEVER SHOW AN EMPLOYER THAT YOU'RE AMBITIOUS!
    "I rarely express my opinions in group meetings." How to answer this one? Perhaps all they want here are yes-men.
    "If I knew that I could never get caught, I would be willing to steal a million dollars." YES, BECAUSE I'M TRYING TO BE A MECHANIC OR USED CAR SALESMAN!

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Look at this silly HEXACO statement:
    "I find it boring to discuss philosophy."

That's like saying, "I find it boring to watch television." It depends on what's on!

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Mal12345 View Post
    There's also some hypocrisy or at least inconsistency in these professional online critiques of the MBTI. They are based on the unscientific nature of the MBTI, and on the four dichotomies. Then the authors offer Big 5 or Hexaco as scientific alternatives to the MBTI - omitting the fact that they too are based on dichotomies (e.g., agreeableness/disabreeableness).
    Actually Big Five and Hexaco are based on trait theory, not dichotomous preferences. Hence, the amount or strength of a trait has significance. In MBTI terms, strength or clarity of preference has an effect, so that someone can be strongly extraverted, strongly introverted, or anywhere in-between. The Big Five and Hexaco traits tend to fall in a normal distribution, with middling scores (preferences) being the most common.

If you treat the MBTI as measuring a continuous traits, rather than dichotomies, it actually fairs about as well as the Big Five in many respects. That does create problems for type dynamics, though, since one can then fall in the middle of any of the scales, including the J/P scale.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Seymour View Post
    Actually Big Five and Hexaco are based on trait theory, not dichotomous preferences. Hence, the amount or strength of a trait has significance. In MBTI terms, strength or clarity of preference has an effect, so that someone can be strongly extraverted, strongly introverted, or anywhere in-between. The Big Five and Hexaco traits tend to fall in a normal distribution, with middling scores (preferences) being the most common.

If you treat the MBTI as measuring a continuous traits, rather than dichotomies, it actually fairs about as well as the Big Five in many respects. That does create problems for type dynamics, though, since one can then fall in the middle of any of the scales, including the J/P scale.
    That's fine, since none of the articles I read even mentioned JCF.

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/so
    “A faint clap of thunder; Clouded skies; Perhaps rain comes – if so, will you stay here with me?”

Life belongs to the living, and he who lives must be prepared for changes. - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

'Know thyself'

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/so
    “A faint clap of thunder; Clouded skies; Perhaps rain comes – if so, will you stay here with me?”

Life belongs to the living, and he who lives must be prepared for changes. - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

'Know thyself'

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by infiniterandomness11 View Post
    The author asserts that the MBTI has been empirically validated, but offers no citation.