• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What makes you distinct from the rest of your type?

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm a lot more cautious and introspective than the stereotype would suggest, and a lot less domineering.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I enjoy (some) theoretical and abstract thinking, philosophizing, etc. The ISTP stereotype seems to be they have little patience for thinking or theories which can't be applied in a concrete manner.

Olm the Water King

across the universe
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
:)

Actually, he didn't complete his studies, but I think he does want to go back to Uni because he's quite passionate about philosophy.

Right now, he's working as a cab driver.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm nicer than people might think. I don't like upsetting people. I'm probably too nice, if anything. I just have times where I don't like being disturbed and often find loud people annoying. Usually the louder someone is, the less I care about whatever they are talking about. I don't think that's so terrible.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
From what I understand I'm pretty typical. Move along, nothin to see here.

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm pretty by-the-books, too, if what they say is true. Don't listen to my denials.

Olm the Water King

across the universe
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
My father is an INFP and he's a lot more organized and persistent than the average INFP. Probably a lot more than the average person as well.

I'm trying to develop those traits too.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
My track record for troublemaking is obscenely low for the ENTP species. I'm also not chattery at all, which apparently is so unheard of that I must be either a mutant or an INFJ sneaking into the underground fortresses of this type for diabolical purposes.

Arctic Hysteria

an abyss of Nothingness
MBTI Type
IxFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My track record for troublemaking is obscenely low for the ENTP species. I'm also not chattery at all, which apparently is so unheard of that I must be either a mutant or an INFJ sneaking into the underground fortresses of this type for diabolical purposes.
I haven't met ENTPs with troublemaking records. But geez most of them are surely chattery.

Chad of the OttomanEmpire

Give me a fourth dot.
MBTI Type
NeTi
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm an ENTP, and I tend to match the descriptions fairly well, actually. The main thing I'd say is that I'm really not an "extrovert". I test as an introvert, and I'm also very withdrawn. But I mean, in terms of the personality type, it actually fits.

Enneagram, a lot of stuff doesn't fit.

Haven

Blind Guardian
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I think I'm more passive than most ESFJs in social situations, and I wait until everyone's finished talking before I talk their ears off (this might actually be typical I dunno).

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
In what manners of mental processing are you different from the rest of your type?
What mental patterns characterize you in ways disconnected from your type?
What distinguishes you from other members of your type?

(Posted in MBTI, but can include other typological profiles)

This question should have been easy for me to answer, but it actually took me since the day the OP was posted to think of it.

At first I saw that this was a question of stereotypes in some ways. I'm not a homely professor type. I had friends as a child and didn't spend all my free time reading books. I read encyclopedias or our dictionary if I felt like it. I wanted to read the entire dictionary at one time. But mostly I wanted to play outside, even on rainy days which only changed the type of fun I could have.

Nowadays, in order to reduce the dull dreariness of the daily commute, I might take an interest in racing with other drivers on the long straightaway. But then there are days when I am content to keep myself entertained by contemplating typology and other ideas.

So I'm not a stereotypical INTP but, like most people, a healthy mixture of types.

On my commute earlier this week I was kept amused by some teenagers in a new Kia in front of me with plates from some other county. (People from other counties are terrible drivers.) All or most of the traffic lights on the street have long right-hand lanes, and he was taking advantage of them, and his new car's power, to pass other cars at the lights. I decided to keep pace with him. This was kind of difficult as my car is 9 years old.

When he tried to pass cars at a certain right lane traffic light, he hit the gas at first but then hesitated for 2 or 3 seconds, and suddenly bailed into the left lane as I've seen other cars do there in the same situation. His hesitation made it impossible for me to utilize the right lane advantage. But I was satisfied knowing that, if I had been in his position, with his fast new car, I would not have chickened out but would have passed them all easily.

melebula

MBTI Type
INTJ
I'm INTJ, but I'm not truly "cold". I appear cold because I prefer to remain detached in social interactions, but deep inside, I'm really warm and mushy. You'd have to be extremely close to me for me to let that side show, though.

That hidden warm side is also what allows me to dislike conflict and be more open to relationships with others.

I understand the natural inclination of INTJs to be cold because I would retract to that side by default if I didn't have a caring side... But I think most self-described INTJs exaggerate how icy they really are, just to fit the stereotype. Logic guides my decision making, but I'm not an ice queen. The only time I will appear inconsiderate of others' feelings is if I make a decision that dismisses others' concerns if it's for the "greater good" of a goal - even my own.

I can be "blunt" like a stereotypical INTJ, but only if I've decided it's worth it and it won't stir up trouble, in case I intuit that the person in front of me will see it as a personal attack, which it isn't - it's more of a "hey, you're being stupid, fix that"