• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Are You Afraid to Take Risks?

Jaguar

Now that the nonsense is over, I'll say it again: Heaven forbid someone consider neurotransmitters.

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
I've avoided multiple career paths because I didn't want to risk accidentally killing someone. My idea of spontaneity is ordering the pulled pork sammich at Subway on a whim.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've avoided multiple career paths because I didn't want to risk accidentally killing someone. My idea of spontaneity is ordering the pulled pork sammich at Subway on a whim.

It's because of your neurotransmitters.

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
One can never discount the power of neurotransmitters.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yes, with the exception of emotional risks. I avoid putting myself into situations which could lead to a personal rejection.

I take risks in most other areas and never really saw it that way until others pointed it out. I'm not very security driven at all. Stability can bore me. Routine is suffocating. There is enough drive for novelty and freedom and experimentation to trump my shyness and sensitivity. But I'm too concerned with moral concepts to ever be really crazy. I'd say I'm conservative and cautious in moral issues, and some if that is avoiding needless offense of others, aka I consider other's feelings.

I think this can appear unpredictable and inconsistent on the outside, but it's pretty consistent if you know the place it's coming from.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
We all risk all of the time. It's always weighing the risk of loss of what you have and the risk loss of what could be. Ne'doms know this. I'll do some crazy things to not risk losing things that I think are worth it, or gaining a vantage of possibility. From somebody who doesn't understand how I value things, I could be seen as a heavy risk taker.

small.wonder

So she did.
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I've realized with age that I take too many risks, but usually unconsciously. Two recent examples:

1) I got on the Metra without a ticket and no cash for the third time this year. :doh: The first two times I had enough change to pay for my ticket (for real.) and the third, I miraculously found an old ten ride for another line in my wallet that they accepted! Anyway, obvious lack of self preservation instincts, sheesh.

2) I had planned to go for a walk at a Forest Preserve with a friend on Saturday, but Friday night I started feeling sick. Saturday morning comes and I'm thoroughly ill, fever, tightness in the chest, coughing, sinus pain, etc. I almost forgot I was supposed to meet my friend, but remembered like an hour before and didn't want to cancel on her because I hate it when people do that to me. So I go, as soon as I get there the sky looks like rain-- but I love rain and storms, especially in the summer and just the way the air feels before one. Caught up in that feeling, I don't think I really thought about rain + sick. Okay, I didn't at all. About halfway around one of the circut paths, the wind picks up and the sky opens up and at first I was euphoric (because, as I said, I have a thing with storms) which sustained all the way back to our cars. I don't think the "you stupid idiot", of my own judgement really hit me until I was driving home sopping wet with a fever and chills. *headdesk*

I don't know that I associate my tendency to take risks with MBTI at all though, more with my instinctual variants.

That said, I am not a social risk taker at all.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
In some situations yes, in some situations no. Just like everyone else

Honor

girl with a pretty smile
MBTI Type
?
Instinctual Variant
so
I have a very similar attitude.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I feel kind of in the middle. I prefer having some knowledge and preparation before jumping in, but I am also adventurous and exploratory as a general rule. I try to avoid the low-gain risks and capitalize on the risks that either protect my values or are likely to lead to a breathtaking experience (standing up to mistreatment at work being an example of the former; learning and going scuba diving on the fly one day being an example of the latter - and sex without a partner's clean bill of health being a risk I just don't feel is worth taking).

Bush

cute lil war dog
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Irrational perceiving, when dominant, brings a great degree of spontaneity, and perhaps an aura of danger, to the personality. In practice, such people are thought to lack judgment. But rational judging can seem too controlling because it sets cogent and judicious limits on spontaneity. They are considered "party-poopers" by the Irrational types because they use too much judgment.
Hell, this absolutely makes sense to me. Risk-seeking may be seen as 'lacking judgment' by the risk-averse, who may in turn be seen as 'too controlled' by the risk-seekers.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hell, this absolutely makes sense to me. Risk-seeking may be seen as 'lacking judgment' by the risk-averse, who may in turn be seen as 'too controlled' by the risk-seekers.

It makes common-sense. The interesting part is how this correlates with Jungian functions.

Bush

cute lil war dog
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It makes common-sense. The interesting part is how this correlates with Jungian functions.
I'm a fan of bringing common sense to conscious light as a reminder. But I do find the correlation with Pe/Pi-dominance to be a neat idea.

In your mind, would Ji/Je-doms (who are thus Pe/Pi secondaries) exhibit similar tendencies as their Pe/Pi-dom brethren? How does the function stacking affect risk-seeking/aversion--would having Px in a secondary position lessen the degree to which those tendencies exist?

MBTI Type
*NF*
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm probably growing old, I am not the famous ENTP risk taker that my surrounding used to know:gleam:

The more I grow old the wiser I become : I try to think before acting to avoid losing my energy with the wrong persons for example...

And I tend to develop my intuition more and more...

I used to take many risks in relationships as well as for/in my jobs.

Psychologically I am quite grounded so I don't need them to feel alright with myself.

I am a risk taker for others because I don't give a damn about rules, because a good rule is one which is truly necessary...etc.

Physically speaking, for some women, I am a risk taker : I am rather outgoing, and always very curious.
But what they forgot is that if I think "I'm not going out alone at 3 o'clock alone" I don't feel free anymore.
So I'm a risk walker:whistling:

Life is a risk in itself, and the pleasure to be alive is probably to feel good without too much worry.

I'd like to be a risk taker with emotions, but I still have to work on them. :doh:
I'm not usually lazy, but on this subject.... oh god !

childofprodigy

I control risk.

No profit can be acquired without taking some degree of risk hence risk taking is paramount if you wanna make shitload of money...On the other hand, overleverage can make your net worth crash and burn quickly hence a certain balance must be struck between profit chasing and loss avoidance in order to build long term wealth...

In general, if the Expected Value of a certain risky action X is positive, I would then take the risk and pull the trigger. Otherwise if the Expected Value is zero or negative, I'm not going to bother....

I'm not gonna have precise expected value numbers for all scenario, but it's easy to intuitively make an educated guess/to quickly estimate the expected value of most scenarios I encounter....

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I control risk.

I call B.S.

I am probably too risky. In all things. It may catch up to me.

However, they're calculated, and I must not be a moron, because even though I'm proficient in about 15 extreme sports, I've never broken a bone. I lied, my pinkie toe once walking barefoot to the mailbox.

But as [MENTION=22064]ExNinjaTropPervertie[/MENTION] said, as I've gotten a little older, for BIG decisions (moving, career, women, etc.), sometimes I'm almost paralyzed to make a choice. It doesn't last long, but your "do-overs" get less and less.