User Tag List

123 Last

Default MBTI type changing over time

Hello, I mentioned this in its own thread but I thought it deserved its own topic. Has anyone had their MBTI type change over time? As a teenager I was consistently an INTP and am now testing out as an ISFJ... quite a change. Has anyone else had this happen? Does anyone know if this is common?

To be honest, I am not very confident in my ISFJ typing. I only took a test the other day, it seemed thorough, and I don't score very strongly on any of the components so I could probably take a different test and get opposite results. I'm not sure, but I see it as a good thing, I suppose I have a balanced personality? I'm just guessing that's the case, a very good psychologist once told me that it would be healthy for introverts to develop some extrovert qualities and vice-versa, that mid-range is ideal. Not sure if this rule applies to other parts of the MBTI.

MBTI
    INTJ

Yes, happened to me. I think back to how I was as a kid, and it strikes me as ISTJ. I recently dug out my first MBTI from college, and that has me as an ENTP (?!?) Clearly, that first test was off the mark. I've been consistently INTJ since then.

The type reported from a test would be expected to have some variance from test to test. What the test is capturing is not who you truly are, but who you described through the answers you gave. I can see, for instance, how being young and not having had enough experience out in the world, making your own decisions, discovering how you like to do things, would impact the score a test returned.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Dont rely on tests giving you a type, even the good tests only suggest you a type that then should be weighted carefully. ISFJ shares the same functions than INTP, but in different order, so ISFJ isnt actually that far from INTP.
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

I didn't feel ISFJ described me as well as my fiancee's INTP describes him, so I took a test on a different site to see if I'd get a more accurate result and scored INFJ. The description fits me very well and I think I found my type. I found a very in-depth article about relationships between INTP and INFJ (specifically intp men and infj women) and it was uncanny how much it described our relationship, and the good news is it says we are very compatible (I know we are) and even described us as a "golden pair". Very pleased to have gotten that cleared up, haha.

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so/sp

When my mom first got into MBTI when I was a kid she typed me as ESTP, which I find quite funny now. About 5 years ago I typed ESTJ, like my dad. But now I essentially exude Fe.
    Friends, waffles, work

"The problem is, when you depend on a substitute for love, you can never get enough" - Louis Cozolino

3w2 6w7 1w2
    *Gryffindor*

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I never tested before recently, so I have always, to the extent of my knowledge, been ESTP. When I was younger I was on the introverted side, but that's possibly because of anxiety problems I've since overcome.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by sincerelysasquatch View Post
    Hello, I mentioned this in its own thread but I thought it deserved its own topic. Has anyone had their MBTI type change over time? As a teenager I was consistently an INTP and am now testing out as an ISFJ... quite a change. Has anyone else had this happen? Does anyone know if this is common?

To be honest, I am not very confident in my ISFJ typing. I only took a test the other day, it seemed thorough, and I don't score very strongly on any of the components so I could probably take a different test and get opposite results. I'm not sure, but I see it as a good thing, I suppose I have a balanced personality? I'm just guessing that's the case, a very good psychologist once told me that it would be healthy for introverts to develop some extrovert qualities and vice-versa, that mid-range is ideal. Not sure if this rule applies to other parts of the MBTI.
    Quote Originally Posted by olias View Post
    Yes, happened to me. I think back to how I was as a kid, and it strikes me as ISTJ. I recently dug out my first MBTI from college, and that has me as an ENTP (?!?) Clearly, that first test was off the mark. I've been consistently INTJ since then.

The type reported from a test would be expected to have some variance from test to test. What the test is capturing is not who you truly are, but who you described through the answers you gave. I can see, for instance, how being young and not having had enough experience out in the world, making your own decisions, discovering how you like to do things, would impact the score a test returned.
    Your type does not change. Ever. It simply means that some or all of your test results are incorrect.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by riva View Post
    I change my type a lot, that doesn't necessarily mean my type changes. More so that I am just unaware and unsure.

@highlander

Who are you trying to reassure? And how do you know?

As much as it comforts to hold onto the notion of stable type using perhaps extreme examples as justification, it is no less reasonable to suggest that it changes with time as we reinvent ourselves.

Personality is more like a soft stone, as water presses against it, it gives way in various nodules and dips. These become familiar over time, but that doesn't prevent the water from changing those once familiar dips into something completely different.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    ISFJ shares the same functions than INTP, but in different order, so ISFJ isnt actually that far from INTP.
    Was going to say this.

I don't think type changes as much as outward expression and function development. As you develop your functions and overall psychology your functions may appear to be in different orders at different times.

As for me, I grew up in an environment where I perceived emotion as bad and logic as good, so I developed myself accordingly and tested as INTJ. Later I developed my Feeling more and so my NF temperament was more evident, so I tested as INFP. Plus for various reasons I had a lot of inner conflict surrounding J qualities, and so hadn't had time to balance myself in regard to J OR P, so I would flip flop for quite some time, and to outsiders looked like a P for most of my life. In refining myself emotionally I developed my Ti a lot in my later years of college and so was convinced I was INTP. THEN I realized I'm INFJ and everything made sense. I also in college became very J-like because I was finally able to sort out how I wanted to do things vs. how I thought I should do things (should-->J). Now that I know my type I can see how I would appear to be all those types on the surface, but function-wise it should be evident that INFJ functions were at work my entire life if one looks critically. So one could say I changed type a lot, but really I think I was just a messed up INFJ the whole time.