User Tag List

12 Last

Default Si and addictions

I was thinking about the correlation between introverted sensing and addictions. Since Si is about subjectively experiencing the physical environment, it finds security in personally known places as well as bodily physical experiences. Once Si realized that one thing brings pleasurable sensations to their body, they are more likely to seek the repetition of this sensation, than for example Se, which would rather move on to try next exciting sensations. I think this might be more of a problem for inferior Si users - NP types and then also unhealthy SJs. I wonder...
    How do you NPs experience addictions? Do you think you're more prone to them, than others? Do you think it's because of the Si?
    The same question for SJs

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Maybe you find something interesting here: UNDERLYING PERSONALITY DIFFERENCES BETWEEN ALCOHOL/SUBSTANCE-USE DISORDER PATIENTS WITH AND WITHOUT AN AFFECTIVE DISORDER

I didnt read the whole thing, just skimmed through it quickly and looked at this one table of results which in human language translates to:

Extraverts are more prone to substance abuse disorder than introverts unless there is some mood disorder that causes the addiction(in which case introverts are more prone to addiction).

Sensing folks are more prone to addiction with or without mood disorders. Mood disorders doesent seem to effect S/N ratios at all.

F types are only slightly more prone on addiction with no mood disorders than thinking without mood disorder. However with mood disorder F types are much more prone to addiction than T types.

J/P doesent seem to be relevant on addiction if there is no mood disorder, but P types are more prone to addiction if there is a mood disorder combined with addiction.
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    Maybe you find something interesting here: UNDERLYING PERSONALITY DIFFERENCES BETWEEN ALCOHOL/SUBSTANCE-USE DISORDER PATIENTS WITH AND WITHOUT AN AFFECTIVE DISORDER

I didnt read the whole thing, just skimmed through it quickly and looked at this one table of results which in human language translates to:
    this was interesting reading, the big 5 part mostly I wonder how high these people score on openess to experience.

Anyway it didn't really answer my question, if Si as function alone can cause that the individual is more prone to addictions.

Entertaining Cracker five sounds's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

Yeah I think inferior Si has something to do with how I am comforted by meals that my mom used to make. Same with going to music that is familiar when I'm feeling bad. I can see that it could become an addiction if I started to abuse things in this way to make me feel good.
    You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.

Quote Originally Posted by five sounds View Post
    Yeah I think inferior Si has something to do with how I am comforted by meals that my mom used to make. Same with going to music that is familiar when I'm feeling bad. I can see that it could become an addiction if I started to abuse things in this way to make me feel good.
    I feel the same about familiar music, it gives me that very specific feeling of warmth. I also connect songs and music with situations that happaned to me in past

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I always felt that Si in us was more concerned with our (ENFP) feelings at the time of the formation of our association, and not necessarily the sensation. I think addiction would be most likely if you had a strong association of drinking & tokin' and popping with comfort, with being with friends and acceptance rather than with a pleasant physical associations. The extraverts I know who are into chemical escape, use it just for that, escape and distraction... not comfort, which is what my Si is a goto for.

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Inis Mona View Post
    I feel the same about familiar music, it gives me that very specific feeling of warmth. I also connect songs and music with situations that happaned to me in past
    THIS. So much. I can't even listen to some songs because they've become so tied to the memories associated with them. Same with smells and foods. There's a particular lip balm that I used during a season of my life. Not a particularly notable season, but that lip balm still takes me back to it roughly 6 years later.
    Friends, waffles, work

"The problem is, when you depend on a substitute for love, you can never get enough" - Louis Cozolino

3w2 6w7 1w2
    *Gryffindor*

Quote Originally Posted by Showbread View Post
    THIS. So much. I can't even listen to some songs because they've become so tied to the memories associated with them. Same with smells and foods. There's a particular lip balm that I used during a season of my life. Not a particularly notable season, but that lip balm still takes me back to it roughly 6 years later.
    I know exactly what you're talking about! But aren't they awesome, these sensations? It's a like a time mechanine , expect it can be a little bittersweet and melancholic, don't know how it works for SFJs.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

I was thinking about the correlation between introverted sensing and addictions. Since Si is about subjectively experiencing the physical environment, it finds security in personally known places as well as bodily physical experiences. Once Si realized that one thing brings pleasurable sensations to their body, they are more likely to seek the repetition of this sensation, than for example Se, which would rather move on to try next exciting sensations. I think this might be more of a problem for inferior Si users - NP types and then also unhealthy SJs. I wonder...
    How do you NPs experience addictions? Do you think you're more prone to them, than others? Do you think it's because of the Si?
    The same question for SJs
    When I'm in a bad spot, my go-to is almost always precedent. What have other people done in this situation that worked for them? So I guess in that sense, it could lead to addiction in that when you're in an awful place, and all the usual things don't help anymore, the deepest and darkest depths of the Si database might suggest addictive, sensual pleasures. I usually connect that more with Ne (and Fi, in my case), though.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

So do I.