• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why do others hate INFJs?

magpie

Permabanned
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[MENTION=7254]Wind Up Rex[/MENTION], please, what are you saying?

Starry

No worries, happy to clarify. Let me put together something more specific - might be later this evening.

The gist of it though, bottom-line, is what can people do to help in these types of situations - what can INFJs do to help themselves (and what can their type-mates do) and what can other types bring to the table to help de-escalate yet validate the INFJ and assist them in discussion or to articulate (in a reasonably cogent timeframe) what the issue is.

Because frankly, look at the baggage that's being brought back up in here about Pe yet again. That's years worth of time of processing with progress at about the rate of a snail leaving a slime-goo trail across Canada. That's not realistic in an environment geared towards mortality. It does formulate a portion of why some INFJs drive people nuts. 'Cause by all means, let's have a grievance that needs years worth of time to process so that we never talk about it directly, but can be used to poke and poke for all of that time. It is very hurtful (eta I'd go so far to say at this point it is actually abusive, sanctioned abuse at that).

I'm looking for the win-win solution-wise. Otherwise I be riding on my horse and gunslinging (figuratively speaking) my way across the desert.

Okay, yes, thanks... I understand what you're saying now. But I honestly don't know what to do either and share the frustration. I mean, it's frustrating from my end to be sorta characterized as an individual (I know you're not only directing your comments towards *me* but I'll just write in this way since I'm only addressing my personal experience at the moment) that's just "pokin for the hell of it". I mean, it's very confusing to the point a short stint in the state farm may in fact be very soothing for me... because all I can hear is "you are hurting me by trying to get me to stop hurting others".

No, I understand the frustration and am temporarily out of ideas.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
"Corn country"

(okay, I don't really know what I'm saying but it just felt right)

Do you mean I should give credit to [MENTION=24829]Corn Dispenser[/MENTION]?
[MENTION=24829]Corn Dispenser[/MENTION] I :heart: you!

or you think I live in Montana/Kansas right now? :laugh:

What I could gave off the 505 as in Breaking Bad Albuquerque. But I'm not too big of a fan of that show. (I watched it in its entirety though, so glad that season 6 was an internet joke) :shrug:

Starry

Do you mean I should give credit to [MENTION=24829]Corn Dispenser[/MENTION]?
[MENTION=24829]Corn Dispenser[/MENTION] I :heart: you!

or you think I live in Montana/Kansas right now? :laugh:

What I could gave off the 505 as in Breaking Bad Albuquerque. But I'm not too big of a fan of that show. :shrug:

"Corn Dispenser country"

(I almost said "armpit"...but I'm not entirely sure where the "Armpit of America" is... let alone the "Armpit of the People's Republic of Canada")

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
"Corn Dispenser country"

(I almost said "armpit"...but I'm not entirely sure where the "Armpit of America" is... let alone the "Armpit of the People's Republic of Canada")

TRIGGER WARNING:

Starry

When I was serving in New Mexico, one missionary who I served with said Alamogordo was the armpit of America. The town didn't receive it well from that guy. LOL.

..Ooh. Lol.

What? Alamogordo got all BUTTHURT over that?

(haha...okay...don't respond to this haha... I'm going to make dinner.)

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Here's the thing: I don't care about who's right or wrong.

You Je types can battle it all out in the arena with blood and guts and gore if you want to, see who takes the most points and wins the day.

Have at it.

I couldn't care less.

I care that other people are being FAIR. That's what I sometimes point out.

And I care about what's true. True often has very little to do with right or wrong.

I see both sides as having right and wrong points.

I care that Rex has caused some pain, intentionally or not.

I care that the INFJs lasered in on Rex's words without clarification.

I care that new words have been invented to convey this extrapolated meaning.

It matters to me that no one has asked Rex, "Is this what you are saying?"

I care that Rex has tried to reestablish good relations.

I care that Forever shared an internal truth.

That's why I get into these discussions.

So y'all can keep on arguing past each other, and get back to me anyone who wants to find the middle ground. Who wants to figure out how to communicate better, because that's a rosetta stone I've been looking for in here for a while.

The general tenor of the conversation exceeded my level of "caring" about four or fives hours ago. I went, had lunch and did other things.

Fwiw, I do regret making the initial post that I did. I stand by what I said, but it's hard to look at where things are and say that anything good has come of it. A lot of interesting, thoughtful people are wasting time and thought on what amounts to a bullshit kerfuffle that I caused by venting on nonsense. This is a no win. I knew better.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The general tenor of the conversation exceeded my level of "caring" about four or fives hours ago. I went, had lunch and did other things.

Fwiw, I do regret making the initial post that I did. I stand by what I said, but it's hard to look at where things are and say that anything good has come of it. A lot of interesting, thoughtful people are wasting time and thought on what amounts to a bullshit kerfuffle that I caused by venting on nonsense. This is a no win. I knew better.

You did win though, at least I thought. :shrug:

I regret my overreaction and should've taken more time towards my responses and probably shouldn't included [MENTION=26046]Dyslexxie[/MENTION] as that set off some intense confusion.

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You did win though, at least I thought. :shrug:

I don't really think anyone learned or gained anything here. I've had some genuinely bad experiences with several unhealthy INFJs that have shown me the very worst of that type, and my trust for people who identify with that type is limited. Upsetting a bunch of people--some of whom I had considered friends--over those feelings doesn't help me resolve them or do anything constructive with it. So I didn't get anything out of it, the people who are upset are worse off, and others got sucked into totally unnecessary shenanigans even after that. All over a knee jerk choice on my part to ambush some folks with a couple of shitty comments. It wasn't worth it.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
All over a knee jerk choice on my part to ambush some folks with a couple of shitty comments. It wasn't worth it.

Listen, it was just an inferior Fi rant. Nothing to beat yourself up over. :hug:

If you don't purge that stuff it just festers. You just happened to purge it in the place where it would get the least understanding and the most consternation. (Legitimately so). Nonetheless, you are fine. As humans, we all just step on each other from time to time, hard to avoid.

That's a spot in you that could use some attention, helping yourself heal from the hurts of the past, and it popped up here because, well, it was the topic. Awareness is the gift.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
Okay, yes, thanks... I understand what you're saying now. But I honestly don't know what to do either and share the frustration. I mean, it's frustrating from my end to be sorta characterized as an individual (I know you're not only directing your comments towards *me* but I'll just write in this way since I'm only addressing my personal experience at the moment) that's just "pokin for the hell of it". I mean, it's very confusing to the point a short stint in the state farm may in fact be very soothing for me... because all I can hear is "you are hurting me by trying to get me to stop hurting others".

No, I understand the frustration and am temporarily out of ideas.

It's not a fence that any of us get to straddle both sides of. Working through interpersonal issues requires engagement with the source. Just the way these things go. All other efforts are an unfortunate substitute for purposeful dialogue, and the "poking" only serves to support the internal position in an external way, providing an outlet but not providing the answer. Isn't the answer what's being sought?

It's like playing ice hockey but never wearing skates. Or playing chess but moving on only one side of the board. Yet claiming you've done both.

eta: What are your underlying personal beliefs and what assumptions are you making here?

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
Here's one underlying belief I heard yesterday [MENTION=10082]Starry[/MENTION]: the assumption that pain is always bad. That pain is to be avoided. And by extrapolation, that anyone who causes pain to be evoked in another is bad and should be avoided. Avoiding pain negates every positive effect the pain can confer and teach us. Pain is purposeful. Pain is meant to point out areas in our internal selves that need attention. It has every bit as much purpose as the pain from touching a hot stove tells us to move our hand. Does that pain mean the stove is bad? No. Does it mean we shouldn't cook again? No. Of course, that might be the outcome, originating with a fear that one must avoid pain at all costs. If you stubbed your toe, you could say that's pain with no purpose. Yet this has a purpose too, reminding us that our physical self has limitations. Our internal pain is a roadmap to personal growth, but you can't get anywhere if you're not willing to read the directions.

If we engage in dialogue, and this causes you pain, it's about you, just as surely as my pain is about me. Pain is like a ping of radar saying, "Look here, there's something over here". Investigating it is a necessary step to locating the message it is attempting to convey. Pain is painful, but not purposeless. It's something I personally find worth having gratitude about.

------------------------------

Now, last night as I lay in bed it struck me that there's perhaps no definition out there of what an Fi rant is, and that this might have value in the explication. An Fi rant is any broad, overly generalized external statement that attempts to capture a sense of an inner emotion or other feeling. This feeling is not one that's easily expressed, and generally the inability to express it well with words ensures that the words that get attached to it rarely ever convey what someone actually thinks on the matter but the underlying tone is one that brings some type of awareness to the inner state. An Fi rant can be positive or negative, but is usually negative, ergo a rant. It is an expelling of interal energy in order to get to the root of starting to process the why. In putting the pain outside, it has an unfortunate side effect of causing pain for other people in the way. Partly this is because an Fi rant is frequently misunderstood, and partly because most people avoid looking at pain. Fe hears the disproportion in the pain, and seeks to bounce this back on the person radiating it, rather than seeing it for what it is. It's not trying to push other people with discomfort, it's an attempt to find balance.

So, when I heard Rex, I heard inner distress. The rant portion was something that would correct itself rationally with time and clarification, and sputter out without paying it any undue attention (or with a bit of soothing). The rant occured in a logical place, but in a place where it would assuredly get the most amount of negative reaction, and cause collateral damage, when ironically some compassion for the pain place was desired. Then, in causing Fe folks distress, they make themselves the focal point -- the equivalent of saying, "You made an owie with your words, fix my owie!" Annnnd that's why I don't pay as much attention to that either, as the relevant amount of attention to the WHY of why their internal distress exists has not been examined. I have compassion and a bandaid, but that doesn't exempt INFJs from the internal work. And in not doing any inner work, they reduce their effectiveness in detecting real pain and places that could use a healing touch.

At any rate, no sense rehashing it all and I want to get on with my day. Hope that provides some clarity.

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think INTJ hate threads would give the INFJ ones a run for their money. And guess what? I don't usually see INTJs getting all butthurt in them, however nasty the hate runs. Perspective, folks. If someone starts a thread called "Why people hate INFJs/INTJs/XYZWs", you can bet there will be some unflattering and perhaps even hyperbolic remarks about that type in the thread. You don't have to read it, you know.

In spite of feeling like this might be teetering on "beating a dead horse" territory (to prolong anything about this whole conversation)- it's exactly this kind of comment that makes a predominately INTJ modbox somewhat problematic (this is an example of what I've tried pointing out before). Because guess what? INFJs aren't INTJs. And it kinda seems like it should go without saying that of course "Why do others hate INFxs?" is going to stir up more drama than an "Why do others hate INTxs?" thread. "Be more INTJ / problem solved" doesn't actually work unless you're dealing with INTJs. (What it does do is make sensitive INFxs feel bad about being INFxs.)

/preaching