User Tag List

First 91718192021 Last

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

I usually like INFJs and appreciate learning from them - right up to the point where (some) INFJs somehow seem to end up disappointed with me. Can't ever seem to make 'em happy. Best guess is because of a misunderstanding where I ask for their advice on a situation, and they see me not following it. Even if I explain that I take in many data points like theirs, from which I synthesise my own solution and I am absolutely grateful for their contribution, it still somehow hits them wrong.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”
    Likes Masokissed liked this post

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by the state i am in View Post
    with that in mind, this idea that **people like me** should be locked up bc we are dangerously self-absorbed is just so over-the-top. i am more likely to be cynical or fanciful or some mood-avoidant thing, but the harm i would do is more out of irrelevance than out of anything else. i have reacted out of anger before, and this is a different story. in those moments, it has been more harmful, where i actually wanted to prove people wrong, regardless of their experience and the cost to them. this is where, for me, that gut type, anger type, e8 shadow sometimes burns hot, and i need to own that better.
    state, can I ask you though, where did you see that someone has said this? Who has said, "INFJs should be locked up bc [they] are dangerously self-absorbed." I don't see it anywhere. And it cannot be about extrapolation. I mean, Te doms say what they mean, they are are not about reading between the lines, for the vast majority of times they are communicating. Rex said, "People like them are the reason mental institutions were invented in the first place" and "like them" is defined by the previous sentence as "broken INFJs".

It is a noxious sentence I agree. But it is a far cry from the sentence you just typed. Now I realize there are a lot of intervening posts. But this is the "A suddenly goes to C" thing. Can you connect the dots in that for me?
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching
    Likes Masokissed liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBaby View Post
    state, can I ask you though, where did you see that someone has said this? Who has said, "INFJs should be locked up bc [they] are dangerously self-absorbed." I don't see it anywhere. And it cannot be about extrapolation. I mean, Te doms say what they mean, they are are not about reading between the lines, for the vast majority of times they are communicating. Rex said, "People like them are the reason mental institutions were invented in the first place" and "like them" is defined by the previous sentence as "broken INFJs".

It is a noxious sentence I agree. But it is a far cry from the sentence you just typed. Now I realize there are a lot of intervening posts. But this is the "A suddenly goes to C" thing. Can you connect the dots in that for me?
    I'm super wary of projecting here and I know you weren't talking to me so maybe this is already projecting, but I think the issue might be stemming from the fact that lots of people do consider themselves broken. So using "broken" as a modifier to exclude people doesn't really work, since people are going to look at themselves and their actions and find ways that they have been harmful or are harmful.

And of course it becomes an issue when, as is evident in the intervening posts, we spiral into defining how broken or harmful someone has to be to deserve being locked up. So it's not a huge leap in application from my point of view.

Edit: Also, I think it's worth questioning why we immediately lump broken in together with harmful, but I suppose that's not really the topic of this conversation.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by hel View Post
    I'm super wary of projecting here and I know you weren't talking to me so maybe this is already projecting, but I think the issue might be stemming from the fact that lots of people do consider themselves broken. So using "broken" as a modifier to exclude people doesn't really work, since people are going to look at themselves and their actions and find ways that they have been harmful or are harmful.

And of course it becomes an issue when, as is evident in the intervening posts, we spiral into defining how broken or harmful someone has to be to deserve being locked up. So it's not a huge leap in application from my point of view.
    A fair comment, yes and well said. I appreciate you sharing your thoughts.

When it gets right down to it of course, we are all broken in some way. Ergo, since we are all broken, the comment has no meaning. From my Fi pov, it's already been discarded.

I find it interesting that this is the path we go down though -- basically, how broken is broken? What defines broken? I get that this processing area for INFJs is the focal point, the slippery slope so to speak, of Ni - Ti working to create cogency.

Yet we leapt from general to personal, without anyone stepping in to ask for clarity first. Without the premise of good intention, or at least, neutral intention. Hmm.

Thanks for sharing your perspective, it's given me food for thought.
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching
    Likes magpie, Masokissed liked this post

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

The TL;DR recipe for this thread:

One part: complaints of general INFJ negative traits.

One part: INFJ's defending their type.

One part: Discussion of involuntary committment to mental health facilities for texture.

A dash of over reaction and butthurt.
    ~luck favors the ready~

Shameless Self-Promotion:MDP2525's Den and the Start of Motorcycle Maintenance
    Likes Masokissed, JocktheMotie, ceecee liked this post

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by MDP2525 View Post
    The TL;DR recipe for this thread:

One part: complaints of general INFJ negative traits.

One part: INFJ's defending their type.

One part: Discussion of involuntary committment to mental health facilities for texture.

A dash of over reaction and butthurt.
    did they get licked to really make sure their texture was off because you must do the licking test or it can be overturned in court.

source: I watch a lot of crime shows.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so
    Likes MDP2525, Masokissed liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBaby View Post
    A fair comment, yes and well said. I appreciate you sharing your thoughts.

When it gets right down to it of course, we are all broken in some way. Ergo, since we are all broken, the comment has no meaning. From my Fi pov, it's already been discarded.

I find it interesting that this is the path we go down though -- basically, how broken is broken? What defines broken? I get that this processing area for INFJs is the focal point, the slippery slope so to speak, of Ni - Ti working to create cogency.

Yet we leapt from general to personal, without anyone stepping in to ask for clarity first. Without the premise of good intention, or at least, neutral intention. Hmm.

Thanks for sharing your perspective, it's given me food for thought.
    I think from my perspective I've already judged it to be a reprehensible comment regardless of intention, but only because this type of thinking (the broken INFJs being the reason mental institutions were invented thing) has real life consequences. So there are concrete examples of harm done that can be applied to that line of thinking. So to me it doesn't matter that we are all broken, because certain people are going to take it on themselves to make definitions and apply them to everyone else. A definition doesn't change a reality, it doesn't really decide who is more broken or what anyone actually deserves, but like I said, it can have real life consequences and that's what makes it dangerous.

Which is why I think people are right not to put up with that. But I'm not taking a side by saying that nor am I saying that things didn't get lost in translation.

Quote Originally Posted by Starry View Post
    Note to self: Don't try to make light in a hate thread.
    Self deprecation and aggression works well on these types thoughhhhh
    Likes Masokissed, Starry liked this post

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    did they get licked to really make sure their texture was off because you must do the licking test or it can be overturned in court.

source: I watch a lot of crime shows.
    It was crunchy and dare I say.......nutty?

~luck favors the ready~

Shameless Self-Promotion:MDP2525's Den and the Start of Motorcycle Maintenance
    Likes Eilonwy liked this post

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by hel View Post
    A definition doesn't change a reality, it doesn't really decide who is more broken or what anyone actually deserves, but like I said, it can have real life consequences and that's what makes it dangerous.
    I agree, but then that's what needs to be articulated. That's not what I sense is going on here, not fully.

It's not all as altruistic as that, and that's a feeling I get as I consider the voices that have spoken up. Not going to expand on that atm. More processing required.

Thanks again for speaking your thoughts.
    Eleanor Roosevelt

Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching
    Likes magpie liked this post