123 Last

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Default how common would it be for an ENTP to present as the archetype of ISTP?

I met a really amazing person today who tested as ISTP ten years ago in college and he has a lot of archetypal ISTP qualities like taking physical risks and getting into fights, but I swear to GOD he has Ne. He's an entrepreneur and seems to have endless ideas for businesses, he owns a clothing line and an art gallery and he was trying to give me branched out ideas so I can branch out in L.A. as an environmental preservationist but do it from the angle of small businesses. He's so full of ideas its baffling. Could he actually be an ENTP?

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

Type is much more about what a person is, not what they do.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

I would say it's fairly common

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    I met a really amazing person today who tested as ISTP ten years ago in college and he has a lot of archetypal ISTP qualities like taking physical risks and getting into fights, but I swear to GOD he has Ne. He's an entrepreneur and seems to have endless ideas for businesses, he owns a clothing line and an art gallery and he was trying to give me branched out ideas so I can branch out in L.A. as an environmental preservationist but do it from the angle of small businesses. He's so full of ideas its baffling. Could he actually be an ENTP?
    Does he like being alone?

We all do, but I personally hate it if it's for very long. I gain energy from people. ENTPs are DEFINITELY idea people, and I think ISTPs are very naturally curious, and I think it takes that and all the knowledge stored in your head to have great ideas. Combined with being action oriented, in the here and now.

Have him retake a test, but he sounds like he could be an ISTP still.

I don't think it's typical for an ENTP to be into extreme sports (maybe it is) but I love them. And am happiest when I'm around people and/or involved in engaging action. Mountain biking, Hot Yoga, Martial Arts, freaking building something. So like your ISTP, I don't know if that's typical for the type.
    I've had this ice cream bar, since I was a child!

Each thought's completely warped
    I'm like a walkin', talkin', ouija board.

ISTPs are tense. They have tense emotionless faces and cold stern eyes.

ENTPs are jolly and childlike.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyyukon View Post
    Does he like being alone?

We all do, but I personally hate it if it's for very long. I gain energy from people. ENTPs are DEFINITELY idea people, and I think ISTPs are very naturally curious, and I think it takes that and all the knowledge stored in your head to have great ideas. Combined with being action oriented, in the here and now.

Have him retake a test, but he sounds like he could be an ISTP still.

I don't think it's typical for an ENTP to be into extreme sports (maybe it is) but I love them. And am happiest when I'm around people and/or involved in engaging action. Mountain biking, Hot Yoga, Martial Arts, freaking building something. So like your ISTP, I don't know if that's typical for the type.

He loves being alone. He spent like the whole day with me yesterday but told me he spends.large amounts of time alone and gets excited by his alone time, though he has friends and knows how to network around L.A. pretty well...I would totally go with ISTPfor him (he struggled with abstract subjects like physics and said he simply didn't care, which also tends to be my reaction to abstract math problems) ...but like he has numerous concepts for businesses and says he gets excited about developing potential in people, like how he wants me to start a business possibly in connection to people in another environmental related business in L.A.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

He has a CLEAR ISTJ father who was a former athlete who pushed him to be more athletic than he really is, but as an adult has gotten into skiing and dirt biking accidents (he was even in a wheelchair last winter and now walks again) - he says he was a bad kid and got into fights because his father was so overbearing he left him little other choice than to act out. He seems to have a lot of Fe, he feels guilty easily and people seem to like him which is why he is good at networking with "important" people but is very humbled by this relatively recent development....he was less social when he was younger, and later expressed bafflement with social dynamics that could suggest being Fe inferior or just TP.I definitely definitely detect quite a bit of Fe in him though. His former jobs doing things like boxing and carpentry suggest ISTP, in fact like I said the only reason I suspect Ne is because he has a ton of ideas and scenarios he comes up with which seems a more like Ne what if than Ni why. It just really stuck in my head also him saying how much it matters to him to develop other people who have xyz potential. Jungs Ne is all about potentiality.

MBTI
    Ne
    Enneagram
    468 sx/so
    Socionics
    :-( None

@Marmotini,

This is my story. I always test as ISTP, and my own family even seems to think it "fits you pretty good". I thought MBTI was bullshit for years because of this. (It kind of fits, but I didn't think...Oh wow! That's ME!!) When I got into cognitive functions, my true ENTPness became clear, and I have a lot more respect for the theory now (the JCF part, anyway).

So, I think it could be possible in the case of the new person you met. Maybe you should introduce him to the functions?

MBTI
    Ne
    Enneagram
    468 sx/so
    Socionics
    :-( None

Oh, I'll add this these responses:

He loves being alone. He spent like the whole day with me yesterday but told me he spends.large amounts of time alone and gets excited by his alone time, though he has friends and knows how to network around L.A. pretty well...I would totally go with ISTPfor him (he struggled with abstract subjects like physics and said he simply didn't care, which also tends to be my reaction to abstract math problems) ...but like he has numerous concepts for businesses and says he gets excited about developing potential in people, like how he wants me to start a business possibly in connection to people in another environmental related business in L.A.
    I don't see this being incompatible with ENTP. It's bullshit that E's can't spend time alone. I've spent most of my life in socially-awkward self-inflicted isolation. I tend to feel frustrated by this, but Ne can sort of spin off anything. I do tend to get charged by interacting with others, but I also enjoy having time to myself, since that's the only time my Ne can run rampant.

Not liking math has nothing to do with the abstract thinking seen in intuitives. I personally found it all to be a major waste of time, as well as what the author "really" meant by thus-and-such a statement in most literature. With Ne, the abstraction is more about what implications some point of interest may have for future potential--"I could buy this house, paint it, and sell things from it". "This _______ would make a great _______." That kind of thinking. Not math.

He has a CLEAR ISTJ father who was a former athlete who pushed him to be more athletic than he really is, but as an adult has gotten into skiing and dirt biking accidents (he was even in a wheelchair last winter and now walks again) - he says he was a bad kid and got into fights because his father was so overbearing he left him little other choice than to act out. He seems to have a lot of Fe, he feels guilty easily and people seem to like him which is why he is good at networking with "important" people but is very humbled by this relatively recent development....he was less social when he was younger, and later expressed bafflement with social dynamics that could suggest being Fe inferior or just TP.I definitely definitely detect quite a bit of Fe in him though. His former jobs doing things like boxing and carpentry suggest ISTP, in fact like I said the only reason I suspect Ne is because he has a ton of ideas and scenarios he comes up with which seems a more like Ne what if than Ni why. It just really stuck in my head also him saying how much it matters to him to develop other people who have xyz potential. Jungs Ne is all about potentiality.
    If he's showing lots of Ne and lots of Fe, I'd say ENTP is likely for him. Being athletic has nothing to do with it. I've gotten into fights with other people before, OK, and am quick to use the "physical force" button. I imagine coming from a house where such athleticism was encouraged would only up the ante in this regard. (I came from a house where everything physical and enjoyable was discouraged, so I did not develop in this regard, but I see it as having been a matter of upbringing rather than inherent strengths).

Do you know his enneatype, btw?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Sanjuro View Post
    @Marmotini,

This is my story. I always test as ISTP, and my own family even seems to think it "fits you pretty good". I thought MBTI was bullshit for years because of this. When I got into cognitive functions, my true ENTPness became clear, and I have a lot more respect for the theory now (the JCF part, anyway).

So, I think it could be possible in the case of the new person you met. Maybe you should introduce him to the functions?

It's possible. I told him what I mean by Extroverted Intuition. The way he remembers things puzzled me too, he says he has a hard time with linear memory, like he has to say the alphabet in his head to alphabetize sometimes, he forgets the name of things, and he remembers impressions of how it made him feel versus hard detail. However he just may have inferiority issues to an Si dom father, which I said were unfounded because he's obviously really creative and successful and makes things happen. He has more fire, as he puts it.

It could be this is how Ti/Ni works when applied to an interest in business exists, because he apparently likes his ideas to have real results. Then again I couldn't figure out if he was more excited about meeting me or if he could see his idea I inspired in him comes to fruition, like he wants to give ideas away and see them manifest. Isn't that Ne? IDK.