User Tag List

First 123

MBTI
    DNA
    Socionics
    so

The main problem about MBTI is that 90% of what we decide to say is based on "wanting to be right", then we miss what MBTI has to give. That by itself yes, is bit overrated, most times.
    LIFE is the expression of SELF within and as Oneness and Equality

Google "chemtrails" Bush Did 9/11's Avatar
    MBTI
    eNtp
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    γ Ni

This, however, leads to a very fair question: why isn’t the MBTI tool used more frequently in research? While it certainly does have application in certain research settings, Isabel and Katherine created the tool in order to help people better understand themselves, and make best use of their own talents — research was not their primary consideration. The MBTI tool is not, and was never intended to be predictive of performance or aptitude, and CPP strongly opposes using it in selective capacities, such as screening applicants.
    [...]
    Additionally, it may be worth noting that many aspects of the instrument that make it less desirable in research settings are precisely what make it so effective in work settings. Consider, for instance, its value-neutral approach to personality type, in which preferences are regarded as neither good nor bad in and of themselves.
    Good that CPP sees it this way. Looks like, at least from this post, they know the boundaries around the scope of the tool. Time for practitioners and users to see it that way, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    They also say, believing is seeing.
    Yes, the naive see what they believe and believe what they see, while the educated learn to see.

It's quite a difference. Those who believe what they see are in a sense blinded, while those who learn to see are enlightened. That is why it is called the Enlightenment.

And those who believe what they see are full of self esteem, while those who learn to see are humble.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    Yes, the naive see what they believe and believe what they see, while the educated learn to see.

It's quite a difference. Those who believe what they see are in a sense blinded, while those who learn to see are enlightened. That is why it is called the Enlightenment.

And those who believe what they see are full of self esteem, while those who learn to see are humble.
    The humble attitude that dominates your forum contributions has always impressed me, Mole. Rather than sounding like you're steeped in wisdom and condescendingly attempting to enlighten a forum full of narcissists, cultists and other varieties of ignoramus, your posts suggest that you assume that your Moley little nuggets are about as likely to merit flushing down the drain as being taken seriously.

As someone who's generally inclined to flush your nuggets, I applaud your humility and lack of self esteem.

I want my account deleted
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by reckful View Post
    The humble attitude that dominates your forum contributions has always impressed me, Mole. Rather than sounding like you're steeped in wisdom and condescendingly attempting to enlighten a forum full of narcissists, cultists and other varieties of ignoramus, your posts suggest that you assume that your Moley little nuggets are about as likely to merit flushing down the drain as being taken seriously.

As someone who's generally inclined to flush your nuggets, I applaud your humility and lack of self esteem.
    ^^ Seconded!

you're [Mole] steeped in wisdom and condescendingly attempting to enlighten a forum full of narcissists, cultists and other varieties of ignoramus
    By all means ignore the Enlightenment, and in reaction fall for superstiton. Indulge yourself in narcissism and illegal drugs, they are the perfect accompaniment to superstition.

But do stop insulting me personally because personal insults are against the rules and may lead to banning.

MBTI
    Ne
    Enneagram
    468 sx/so
    Socionics
    :-( None

I "kind of" agree with the OP, at least in that the MBTI is, for all intents and purposes, lame. I'm talking about the testing system, which apparently hasn't been updated since its creation, and which its proprietors have resisted modifying. As someone who chronically mistypes on it (yes, the official version, which I've taken 3 times), I find this approach flawed and unscientific. I consequently resent its use in business, especially when hiring decisions take its results into account.

However, I also find the second claim to be rather below-the-belt. As it was taught to me, your type is your cognitive strengths, and you should see a reflection of yourself being what you're best at. I rather disagree with the Forer Effect / astrology claim--when I first got my (mis)type, I decided MBTI was a shitty tool and forgot about it. When I read about my real type, it actually fit--not every word, but there was a distinct feeling of "Hey, yeah, that's what my brain really does!" I believe someone with a competent understanding of the functions and sensitivity to other personality factors should be able to differentiate the 16 types in descriptions.

Actually, it's helped me with my own little personal quirks. I understand why I've always been a hypochondriac and consequently, can dismiss it as being "that Si thing my brain does" and work around it. I understand why I'm never going to fuss over my personal appearance--I've been yelled at at work recently for this, and I take it less personally now that I get why I'm like this. Just for example.

In my case it has been a great tool. I can't say all others would feel the same way (if they correctly typed on the official MBTI, of course). I wouldn't care if it were no longer used to gain insights into employees. But I do disagree that it's all "seduction".