User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Default Rebranding the MBTI

Found yet another article today about how the MBTI is "worthless" because it doesn't do what it "claims" to do -- namely pick the perfect job, spouse, and life for your type. Seems like at least one article like this comes out per year. I would attribute this entirely to the branding of the official MBTI: it's marketed as this, officially, and the MBTI people make boatloads of money off of training sessions and certificates every year.

Problem is, even though that's how it's marketed, and that's part of why it was created in the first place... that's not what it's good for. The MBTI is best for general introspection: how you relate to yourself, how you relate to others, what you can do to live with yourself and the people around you better than you currently do. At its best, when you're an enthusiast -- like many on this forum -- it becomes a language with which you can discuss the social and internal realm and come to better and deeper understandings about how you and others operate.

That's the practical application that keeps me interested. Me, an ESTJ, one of the types that typically does not stay interested. But it took a LOT of digging to make me interested in the first place. If it was marketed to me exclusively as a workplace tool, and I'd taken it at face value, I would have abandoned it a long time ago. I probably would view it as derisively as many of my friends and family, and many people in the media -- most recently, Ezra Klein (ENTJ), whose anti-MBTI article inspired me to write this.

So my discussion question here is: What can the general public -- i.e. those of us not part of the official MBTI establishment -- do? Is there anything that can be done? Clearly we are the weaker side, even though we predominate the Internet. Is there any chance that, at some point in the future, other authors on the subject can take control of this narrative and help the world see the MBTI for what it's REALLY good at?
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!
    Likes dog liked this post

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Trying this whole "tag friends" business...

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I really agree here. I mean, sure, everyone wants to make money off of their research and ideas and findings, but at the end of the day, especially in psych fields where scientific validity is still shaky between those researchers and the general populace, the more marketing and branding you do the less valid you become because it is more open to interpretation.

I like MBTI because it has opened my eyes to a lot of communication styles, thinking styles, and techniques for dealing with others and myself. It opened a lot of doors for me, and even if those doors weren't all founded entirely in the principles it set out for, for me they were positive and useful. The shitty thing about it all is that no matter what, people want black and white concrete things in areas that are not concrete. And more so, they want someone and something else to blame. It isn't that you're ENFP, it is that THEY'RE ISTJ. It isn't that you need to realize that you might get bored with people quickly and might need to slow down and take digestible bites, it's that they're suddenly the ones that are no good and not adapting to your unique ways. Uggh..
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    I really agree here. I mean, sure, everyone wants to make money off of their research and ideas and findings, but at the end of the day, especially in psych fields where scientific validity is still shaky between those researchers and the general populace, the more marketing and branding you do the less valid you become because it is more open to interpretation.
    Interesting. You think if the MBTI fell off the radar a bit more, rather than rebranding, it would be more credible in the eyes of the general public?

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    I like MBTI because it has opened my eyes to a lot of communication styles, thinking styles, and techniques for dealing with others and myself. It opened a lot of doors for me, and even if those doors weren't all founded entirely in the principles it set out for, for me they were positive and useful. The shitty thing about it all is that no matter what, people want black and white concrete things in areas that are not concrete. And more so, they want someone and something else to blame. It isn't that you're ENFP, it is that THEY'RE ISTJ. It isn't that you need to realize that you might get bored with people quickly and might need to slow down and take digestible bites, it's that they're suddenly the ones that are no good and not adapting to your unique ways. Uggh..
    Totally. That's why self-help books are so popular when they promise a magical cure for all your stress and frustration. Instant gratification.

The bolded really pisses me off, too. What's the point of a system that requires a bit of introspection, if you aren't going to introspect?

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so/sp

Yes! As another type who typically "loses interest" I completely agree.

Whether the MBTI is statistically valid or not, it is still useful. I think it has really helped me understand myself and others on a deeper level. I think the perspective I've come to is that behavioral and cognitive processing patterns do exist. The MBTI just kind of puts a label on them enabling us to discuss them further. Whether Ne or Fi are actually things are not isn't the point. The point is that the represent behaviors and thought patterns that do exist, and enable us to discuss them.

I almost disagree with using it as a way to choose jobs, etc. I think in a way that's been a bit damaging for me. I've definitely run the "You wouldn't make a good counselor because you aren't an NF before". And I'm sorry MBTI creators, I don't WANT to be a preschool teacher. I need more intellectual stimulation than that in my daily life.
    Friends, waffles, work

"The problem is, when you depend on a substitute for love, you can never get enough" - Louis Cozolino

3w2 6w7 1w2
    *Gryffindor*

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    953 sp/so

Maybe this is something to mention in our "introduction to typology" for the forum.
    An argument is two people sharing their ignorance.

A discussion is two people sharing their understanding, even when they disagree.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

Where is it branded like that, haha.

I discovered MBTI late in the game when I just wanted to know more about myself. Pure and simple. And it has taught me a LOT. What I do with that insight is up to me.
    @EJCC sounds like you kind of want to do some MBTI evangelizing, haha. Don't turn it into a religion man! Enough people take it as such as it is.

Ironically, like a religion, or philosophy, or way of seeing things, MBTI to me is just another tool in the toolbox that some people are gonna dig, and others aren't. The only person that I made take a test was a gf, ha, just cuz I thought I knew but had to know. I ended up being right. But was still cool to see the "official" results.

Maybe the honeymoon phase with my ENTPness is wearing off, because I hardly even mention it anymore (not really sure I did that much in the beginning). I'm not a "sorry! there goes my darn NT again!" kinda person, even though I think it now registers somewhere in the back, and I do respect those that use it like that.

I guess I should mention that I THINK I took this test when I was like a freshman, but completely blew it off. I didn't give a shit about "knowing" myself. I think that yes, that's what it's all about, but that curiosity hits people at different times, situations, ages.

Maybe because I'm just so damned self-centered that because MBTI has always been more of a spiritual self-discovery for me, I'd just assumed it was the same for everyone else.
    I've had this ice cream bar, since I was a child!

Each thought's completely warped
    I'm like a walkin', talkin', ouija board.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

@johnnyyukon Official MBTI materials -- also Keirsey.
    @uumlau YES ABSOLUTELY. Great idea. \m/

(Longer replies to come when I get off work!)

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyyukon View Post
    Where is it branded like that, haha.

I discovered MBTI late in the game when I just wanted to know more about myself. Pure and simple. And it has taught me a LOT. What I do with that insight is up to me.
    @EJCC sounds like you kind of want to do some MBTI evangelizing, haha. Don't turn it into a religion man! Enough people take it as such as it is.

"I was confused and didn't know who I was. My life was going in circles.

"But after listening to the preaching of Carl Jung and Katherine Briggs and Isabelle Myers, I invited MBTI into my heart and now I have a personal relationship with it. The whole world changed for me. I finally had a reason and purpose to live, and I'm so much happier now that I know who I am. Everything finally makes sense.

I just want to share this happiness that I have found with the rest of the world. it can change your life too, just like it changed mine! Won't you consider inviting MBTI into your heart? Praise Jung, Praise Myers, Praise Briggs (but everyone beware of the false prophets like David Keirsey)."
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post

"I was confused and didn't know who I was. My life was going in circles.

"But after listening to the preaching of Carl Jung and Katherine Briggs and Isabelle Myers, I invited MBTI into my heart and now I have a personal relationship with it. The whole world changed for me. I finally had a reason and purpose to live, and I'm so much happier now that I know who I am. Everything finally makes sense.

I just want to share this happiness that I have found with the rest of the world. it can change your life too, just like it changed mine! Won't you consider inviting MBTI into your heart? Praise Jung, Praise Myers, Praise Briggs (but everyone beware of the false prophets like David Keirsey)."
    You know, I almost took it seriously until towards the end I suppose I really am gullible at times.
    Only she who attempts the absurd can achieve the impossible... and then some.

MY BLOGS: https://freestylelines.blogspot.com/, https://tfthdiary.blogspot.com/
    TWITTER: https://twitter.com/angel_ss1
    TUMBLR: http://angelight1.tumblr.com/