• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Ti vs. Te <split>

Gabe

MBTI Type
ENTP
Heh, I have no idea what the context of this quote is. It is short and to the point though, so I guess that is Te. ;)

INTP's are very short with their words when speaking. Also when writing fiction INTP's tend not to be too descriptive, so they are pretty short there too. When writing in a technical fashion, especially when explaining their reasoning, they can be very long winded because their though process is very elaborate. CC is right about legalese. Long technical legal documents use a lot of Ti. Also there are lots of 1000+ page philosophy books writen by INTPs. If they describe their reasoning process then they get very long winded.

legalese is Te! hashing out an elaborate thought process is Te! When any Te type 'explains thier reasoning', they will be long winded. What about "explains thier reasoning" does not scream "Te" to you?

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
When any Te type 'explains thier reasoning', they will be long winded. What about "explains thier reasoning" does not scream "Te" to you?

I dont know, if I got the meaning right but I think that contradicts to the ability of Te to organize, plan and structure. Someone who can do that, does not have to explain his reasoning.

dnivera

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
Si: Botany encyclopedias...500 page archaeology site reports...God help us. Just lots of description and classification, without too much value judgment. Not very much analysis or meaningful conclusions (unless you define a "meaningful conclusion" as putting something into its own box).

Te: lab reports (with a defined Intro, Methods, Results, Discussion, Conclusion, like in a well-written scientific journal article) are more bearable for me. They're concise, and they weave a story with a common thread that can be followed from the first to the last paragraph. They've got a structure and a purpose.

Ti: a manual for an electric appliance or a robot. Who the heck writes these things? I don't need to know the whole long-winded thought process, from the factory designer's perspective, on why I shouldn't submerge my blender in water lest the XYZ circuit interfere with the ABC wiring blah blah blah ZzzZzz. Remember those old 200-page manuals that came with 1990s software packages like Lotus123? Ti.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
Ugh...

You guys seriously don't understand Ti vs. Te if you think Te is invariably more concise.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
legalese is Te! hashing out an elaborate thought process is Te! When any Te type 'explains thier reasoning', they will be long winded. What about "explains thier reasoning" does not scream "Te" to you?

This is the clearest form of Te reasoning, "This is the way it is. Period." Now Te is obviously more capable of complex thought than that, but it often chooses to not bother. Te usually takes the shortest distance between two points, because it is more efficient. Ti on the other hand takes a longer more careful approach that is usually unnecessary, but is more rigorous just in case extra rigor is needed. Everything in your quote above sounds more like a description of Ti than Te to me.

Gabe

MBTI Type
ENTP
This is the clearest form of Te reasoning, "This is the way it is. Period." Now Te is obviously more capable of complex thought than that, but it often chooses to not bother. Te usually takes the shortest distance between two points, because it is more efficient. Ti on the other hand takes a longer more careful approach that is usually unnecessary, but is more rigorous just in case extra rigor is needed. Everything in your quote above sounds more like a description of Ti than Te to me.

Lol. "This is the way it is. Period" sounds like shadow Ti or something. Forget that.

I should pause here to note that whatever semantic spin I could try to pull on what you've said, I don't believe that you can determine Te vs. Ti by word count. But there is nothing in a Te preference preventing them from explaining thier reasoning with a lot of words, which they often will do. (and by reasoning I specifically mean Thinking. As I said before, if an NTP rambles, they'll ramble with Ne-Si.

If you don't believe me, listen to the online Lee Smolin (INTP) and Peter Woit (_NTJ) interviews and tell me who's more wordy. And if you were to come back claiming that Smolin is the NTJ and Woit is the NTP I would be willing to fully explain why that's not the case. Read some of the study reports on Dario Nardi's (INTJ) webpage, and contrast that with some John Beebe (ENTP) articles. I daresay I'm no expert with this yet, but I think I know something about distinguishing between NTP and NTJ writing

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
If you don't believe me, listen to the online Lee Smolin (INTP) and Peter Woit (_NTJ) interviews and tell me who's more wordy.

speaking =/= writing

If you get an INTJ talking about something they're passionate about, you won't get a word in edgewise. An INTP can talk about something he's passionate about and still he will choose his words slowly and carefully. Technical writing is another matter entirely.

Maverick

MBTI Type
ENTJ
As an extra thought: where is his Te? When TJ types make an argument they get to the point quickly. They generally don't spell out their entire reasoning process like BlueWing does. BlueWing is Ti overload.

Excellent insight. Te is the superior processs over Ti, it doesn't get lost into all those pesky possibilities.

Te is the embodiement of justice, fairness and social order. A society without Te wouldn't be a proper society.

Te people also have guts, because it's not easy being the one giving order and structure to the rest of the world. There are lots of pitfalls and challenges. Te people are some kind of saints, really. (No, really :huh: Ok, no then :shock:)

MBTI Type
ENTP
Excellent insight. Te is the superior processs over Ti, it doesn't get lost into all those pesky possibilities.

I've seen this error before in this thread, so feel free to spread the blame around. But neither Te nor Ti have any conception of "possibilities". They aren't perceiving processes they're judging processes. Ti is no less decisive than Te, it's just internalized.

Ugh...

You guys seriously don't understand Ti vs. Te if you think Te is invariably more concise.

I think we need to organize a refresher course on the functions. It would help if people understood the difference between perception and judgment, for one.

Maverick

MBTI Type
ENTJ
I've seen this error before in this thread, so feel free to spread the blame around. But neither Te nor Ti have any conception of "possibilities". They aren't perceiving processes they're judging processes. Ti is no less decisive than Te, it's just internalized.

Thank you for your correction. You are right, and I was just being silly. They are indeed both judging processes.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This thread is horribly wrong for the most part. First the House thread, now here.

Ti sorts and comes up with the cleanest organization.

To quote: "Introverted Thinking often involves finding just the right word to clearly express an idea concisely, crisply, and to the point."

Also to quote: "In written or verbal communication, extraverted Thinking helps us easily follow someone else’s logic, sequence, or organization."

Te lays out all the steps. Not Ti.

Ugh...

Hey! Someone else understands the functions!

The rest of you should lay off typing people if you are this bad at understanding the cognitive functions.

P.S. SW is INTJ.

Gabe

MBTI Type
ENTP
speaking =/= writing

If you get an INTJ talking about something they're passionate about, you won't get a word in edgewise. An INTP can talk about something he's passionate about and still he will choose his words slowly and carefully. Technical writing is another matter entirely.

This ain't technical writing. Besides, who that's not true anyway.

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
Like others have said I think it is hard to really describe the thought processes independent of the perceiving process, but in my opinion Te likes to define in a systematic way while Ti encapsulates the general idea in a statement without regard to defining the processes that led to that statement. This is usually in my opinion why some people get confused with Ti because it doesn't really explain where the leaps that led to the statement came from.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
You know, because we can't come to an agreement here, I'm pretty sure this signifies that we have an assload of mistyped people here.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
An INTJ would probably get his point across much more concisely than SolitaryWalker/BlueWing does. There is more of a Ti structure in his writing. He provides sound reasoning in his posts.

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
I think MacGuffin is right. I think it was Jennifer who mentioned a while back that she really had to develop her Te in writing because a lot of the times people couldn't understand her big picture writing because they couldn't understand the processes, so she had to learn to explicitly state each idea and connection which invariably led to more wordy detailed writing.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
An INTJ would probably get his point across much more concisely than SolitaryWalker/BlueWing does. There is more of a Ti structure in his writing. He provides sound reasoning in his posts.
Yes, long, excruciating reasoning is the EXACT definition of Ti I posted above.

INTPc is full of this! :nice:

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yes, long, excruciating reasoning is the EXACT definition of Ti I posted above.

I was going by the Myers-Briggs/Jungian definition.

SW/BW's writing is more based on questioning (Ti), whereas a Te (or Te auxiliary) would be more directive.