User Tag List

123 Last

As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Default Ne-Doms Struggle With Si Inferior...WTH?!

Ne-doms, I want to hear about your experiences with Si when it starts to slap you upside the head and you find yourself in its stranglehold. How does it happen? How do you get out of it?

I notice that I get really scared that I am forgetting some important detail and that I'm going to bring the whole plan crashing down because I overlooked it. So I get out my super-fine mental comb and go over it again. And again. And again. And something that should take me an hour to do takes me an entire day to do. I can't bring myself to finish something because I can't shake the feeling that I'm missing something. I don't trust myself. I feel SUPER inadequate about my ability to keep all the details in order to get things accomplished. It's really bad right now. How am I supposed to keep all this/these details in order--work, family, and pretty soon again, school?

EDIT: I forgot to add, the first thing I will try to do is prioritize. This never freaking works because when I say, "Now serving Number 1 " everything has Number 1 ticket! Okay, well who has 1.1 ticket? Everybody...just crazy. Everything on my needs taking care of list is at the number one slot and I exhaust myself trying to get it all done and end up squandering much of my energy and resources running around trying to cover all bases. I'm getting better at not doing this but the emotional/anxiety push I feel from inside shouting NOW can be really hard to handle and I still fold to it more often than I would like.

Where's the exit sign for this? My anxiety levels are off the charts right now...

How do the rest of you experience this? How do you cope?

Entertaining Cracker five sounds's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

Coming back. I feel you.
    You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Redbone View Post
    Ne-doms, I want to hear about your experiences with Si when it starts to slap you upside the head and you find yourself in its stranglehold. How does it happen? How do you get out of it?
    ok. back. YES. this shit sucks.

it happens when i feel like getting the details right is *crucial*, and there's a lot of them, all at once. i end up feeling really overwhelmed, kinda self-doubty, and very stressed out. when i was in my masters program, it was an intensive program (clinical plus course work at once, kicked out if you got a B- or lower on anything), and i did it the wrong way. i did my best to maintain my "i've got this" veneer on the outside because i was afraid of anyone knowing how fundamentally unable to do it i believed myself to be. i felt like a total mess, like i was failing miserably and was completely disorganized and unknowledgeable, and i let those feelings keep me from sharing in the experience and being supported and helped along by my classmates. < - that is how not to do it lol.

I notice that I get really scared that I am forgetting some important detail and that I'm going to bring the whole plan crashing down because I overlooked it. So I get out my super-fine mental comb and go over it again. And again. And again. And something that should take me an hour to do takes me an entire day to do. I can't bring myself to finish something because I can't shake the feeling that I'm missing something. I don't trust myself. I feel SUPER inadequate about my ability to keep all the details in order to get things accomplished. It's really bad right now. How am I supposed to keep all this/these details in order--work, family, and pretty soon again, school?
    so what i've tried to do when this comes up now, after my "learning experience" we'll call it, is a) be honest about my feelings, and get support. this isn't a strong suit for me. it's scary and overwhelming and i'm prone to error. so i get emotional support by being open about it, and i get practical support by asking for help. "hey can you look this over for me?" or "on that assignment we have, do you have xyz?"

the other thing is, realizing that the whole ship probably won't go down if you mess one thing up. even if it's big. even if it's more than one thing. i mean sure, there's a point where things are fucked, but in a lot of cases, if there's an error, it can be remedied. or the consequences aren't going to be so massive that everything's ruined.

this is all still hard for me. but that's what i'm working on.

EDIT: I forgot to add, the first thing I will try to do is prioritize. This never freaking works because when I say, "Now serving Number 1 " everything has Number 1 ticket! Okay, well who has 1.1 ticket? Everybody...just crazy. Everything on my needs taking care of list is at the number one slot and I exhaust myself trying to get it all done and end up squandering much of my energy and resources running around trying to cover all bases. I'm getting better at not doing this but the emotional/anxiety push I feel from inside shouting NOW can be really hard to handle and I still fold to it more often than I would like.

Where's the exit sign for this? My anxiety levels are off the charts right now...

How do the rest of you experience this? How do you cope?
    haha, omg the prioritizing thing. i can't even tell you how much i relate to that. i don't have any real answers for you because i struggle in the same way. but sometimes i feel like letting myself bounce around between tasks can help a little. like take three number 1 tickets and put them all in front of you, and just kinda work on one til you feel fed up, then switch to another, then another, then take a break, then another, etc.

one final thought is not expecting myself to do these kinds of things perfectly and consistently. look, i'm an Ne dom, and using Si can be done when needed, but it's absolutely draining and not sustainable. sometimes you have no choice, but when you do, there's no shame in taking the Ne road.

MBTI
    jedi
    Enneagram

the jungian mode of suppression (inferior sense) would be that intuitive-doms operate as blinded horses do - one track mind. the vision is paramount.

i can see many types struggling with these concerns...

except maybe sense doms. they just don't give a fuck.

just realized i didn't provide help for the actual problem at hand. it's hard to say without specifics, i think there are tactics for each scenario, i would say - pick something infallibly utilitarian, something you are sure must be done, and do it. let the rest fall into the cohesive whole as it develops.

There's always the 'T' route - research method.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

Quote Originally Posted by sunyata View Post
    one track mind. the vision is paramount.
    also this. this is good. keeping my sights broad can make the details into little hurdles to mindlessly jump as i'm running toward my greater vision.

i see blue. he looks glorious!

The Dark Lord The Wailing Specter's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFP Ne

Quote Originally Posted by five sounds View Post
    ok. back. YES. this shit sucks.

it happens when i feel like getting the details right is *crucial*, and there's a lot of them, all at once. i end up feeling really overwhelmed, kinda self-doubty, and very stressed out. when i was in my masters program, it was an intensive program (clinical plus course work at once, kicked out if you got a B- or lower on anything), and i did it the wrong way. i did my best to maintain my "i've got this" veneer on the outside because i was afraid of anyone knowing how fundamentally unable to do it i believed myself to be. i felt like a total mess, like i was failing miserably and was completely disorganized and unknowledgeable, and i let those feelings keep me from sharing in the experience and being supported and helped along by my classmates. < - that is how not to do it lol.

so what i've tried to do when this comes up now, after my "learning experience" we'll call it, is a) be honest about my feelings, and get support. this isn't a strong suit for me. it's scary and overwhelming and i'm prone to error. so i get emotional support by being open about it, and i get practical support by asking for help. "hey can you look this over for me?" or "on that assignment we have, do you have xyz?"

the other thing is, realizing that the whole ship probably won't go down if you mess one thing up. even if it's big. even if it's more than one thing. i mean sure, there's a point where things are fucked, but in a lot of cases, if there's an error, it can be remedied. or the consequences aren't going to be so massive that everything's ruined.

this is all still hard for me. but that's what i'm working on.

haha, omg the prioritizing thing. i can't even tell you how much i relate to that. i don't have any real answers for you because i struggle in the same way. but sometimes i feel like letting myself bounce around between tasks can help a little. like take three number 1 tickets and put them all in front of you, and just kinda work on one til you feel fed up, then switch to another, then another, then take a break, then another, etc.

one final thought is not expecting myself to do these kinds of things perfectly and consistently. look, i'm an Ne dom, and using Si can be done when needed, but it's absolutely draining and not sustainable. sometimes you have no choice, but when you do, there's no shame in taking the Ne road.
    I also have trouble prioritizing, but I've found coldly detatching myself from the situation and performing a cost-benefit analysis helps a lot, whatever function that is. My emotions are good for more short-term, non-serious things.
    Enneagram: 6w7 (phobic) > 2w1 > 9w1
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Holland Code: AIS
    Date of Birth: March 15, 1996
    Political Stance: Libertarian Liberal (Arizona School/Strong BHL)
    ATHEIST UNITARIAN UNIVERSALIST HUMANIST
    and
    SCIENCE ENTHUSIAST

I say this as a reminder to myself, but this goes for everyone:

You can achieve anything you set your mind to, and you are limited only by how dedicated you are to succeed!

-Magic Qwan

As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
    I also have trouble prioritizing, but I've found coldly detatching myself from the situation and performing a cost-benefit analysis helps a lot, whatever function that is. My emotions are good for more short-term, non-serious things.
    I do, too. I think what really bothers me is when I am doing it in spaces and places where there is no let up. No breaks...just going like this for weeks on end and feeling dazed from going beyond burn-out.

The Dark Lord The Wailing Specter's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFP Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Redbone View Post
    I do, too. I think what really bothers me is when I am doing it in spaces and places where there is no let up. No breaks...just going like this for weeks on end and feeling dazed from going beyond burn-out.
    I hate times like tat, as well.
    Enneagram: 6w7 (phobic) > 2w1 > 9w1
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Holland Code: AIS
    Date of Birth: March 15, 1996
    Political Stance: Libertarian Liberal (Arizona School/Strong BHL)
    ATHEIST UNITARIAN UNIVERSALIST HUMANIST
    and
    SCIENCE ENTHUSIAST

I say this as a reminder to myself, but this goes for everyone:

You can achieve anything you set your mind to, and you are limited only by how dedicated you are to succeed!

-Magic Qwan

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Re OP:

YUP. Im finding myself...turning into a mini STJ though now that Im...shall we say, maturing? And I hate the stick in the mud that I can be because of that (coz, lets face it, i suck at being an STJ ), but I'll admit that I'm getting more into the gritting my teeth and trudging through the mud and get shit done.

I find that it helps though to have your Fi fully riddled out on what you're trying to do/accomplish as it helps to keep Ne tangents in check and priorities clear. I find that it's impossible to structurally work towards something if my Fi isn't sure. And Ne just happily takes advantage of that to go nuts and follow each 'shiny' it can find as that is way more interesting than trudging

That said, when the stars align...man, is it beautiful - and god, do you feel powerful
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

I don't have the issue with prioritizing, but I do have a kind of nervous/repetitive tic sometimes where I keep going over the same thing to make sure it's perfect. Like reading the same word over and over again until it "looks right" in the scan of my vision.

/butting in
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.