• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Ambiverts!

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
It seems that according to cognitive function theory that it is possible to be ambiverted.

The dominant and auxiliary functions work together as a team. I think it is possible especially for Perceiving types that prefer to keep their options open (taking information in using both Introverted and Extraverted functions) to be Ambiverted.

What do you guys think?

I agree with Jung's theory that an Introvert and Extravert act so different that it is easy to tell them apart, however at times a person can be introverted or extraverted depending on the situation.
This doesn't mean it's not possible to be an Introvert sometimes and an Extravert other times- thus, putting you right in the middle.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Would this mean that the bottom two functions are equally underdeveloped?

I'd say in cases where introversion and extroversion are confusing, I'd go by which of the bottom processes seems most negative. If it's an extroverted function, you're an introvert, and if it's an introverted function, you're an extrovert, because this means that even though you're comfortable in both realms, one is less comfortable through a certain lens.

arcticangel02

To the top of the world
MBTI Type
eNFP
It would sure explain a lot of confusion I've been having.

Ambiverts unite!

I'm not sure about your theory, Hap... I use Te sporadically when necessary, but I really don't know about Si - it's not as obvious so maybe I don't notice myself using it? It's hard to tell which one I use more if I don't even know how one of them works. ^^

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
Agree that you can be ambivert. That would mean that you spend about as much time introverting as extroverting.

Not hard to believe at all. Or perhaps it means that your dominant cumulative time extraverting or introverting consistently alternates.

Start off monday being an introvert, and by a week's pass, you've already been an extravert for three days and are back to introverting more.

arcticangel02

To the top of the world
MBTI Type
eNFP
I like this idea so much I've changed my type and signature. I see I'm not the only one. :D

Bear Warp

MBTI Type
epyT
You know, I've been considering putting an A in front of the NTP for a while now. Now's the time, I guess.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I'm not sure about your theory, Hap... I use Te sporadically when necessary, but I really don't know about Si - it's not as obvious so maybe I don't notice myself using it? It's hard to tell which one I use more if I don't even know how one of them works. ^^

Then I guess it's time to look up Si, then, Eh? ;)

Let's take me for example. I may be good at Te, But I'm also good at Ni -- so let's look at the bottom two options, Fi and Se. I use much more Fi than Se, so this would make me an introvert. I can use both Ni AND Fi in my internal world, but my external world is mostly Te. Though I may be very comfortable with Te, I'm not very comfortable with Se, my other option of dealing with the external world.

If the usual ways of things don't work, sometimes it's best to work backwards.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
There is one problem with this, though... it makes it impossible to know what your dominant function is. I think it's possible to spend as much time Extroverting as Introverting, but still be an Introvert or an Extrovert based on your dominant function. The thing is, there's going to be one function that you prefer most, even if it's only very slightly, and that function preference will decide how you usually choose to work if the top two ask for something different.

Remember, it's not about how much you use other functions, it's about your tendencies and preferences. You can use any function you wish, but you'll still naturally tend towards or prefer one over the other to some degree... which determines your I/E.

I think using an "A" is just another way of putting an X, because it implies roughly the same thing function-wise.

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Yay for ambiversion!!! :D
Being an ANTP is awesome!!

On the other hand, Hap makes a good point, I guess it's also time to do some research on Si and figure out how much I use it. Fe- I know helps and hurts me.. but Si.. I'll have to look that up.

A is supposed to be the same thing as X.
I had X as being in the middle.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5

Ah, I see then.

I think the "A" could work just as well as an X for people who don't know which function is dominant. But in my opinion, it's saying exactly the same thing: "I know I prefer this Introverted function, and this Extraverted function, but I don't know which function is my auxiliary, and which one is my dominant." Thus, I question the value of introducing a new way of representing the same idea (it may create confusion), although I do not see real harm in doing so.

Granted, there may be genuine confusion here for many people, especially if the development of the two is close together. But I do still think everyone has one dominant function that they prefer, if only infinitesimally. I will admit that if they're close enough in development, it may be near impossible to tell which.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ

Well, X is supposed to be provisional, even if it's there forever. It implies that "I use these four functions, but I don't know the exact order." 'Ambivert' implies, "I have these four functions, and I use introversion and extroversion evenly," which is an assertion that doesn't make much sense in MBTI terms, considering the order.

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Well, X is supposed to be provisional, even if it's there forever. It implies that "I use these four functions, but I don't know the exact order." 'Ambivert' implies, "I have these four functions, and I use introversion and extroversion evenly," which is an assertion that doesn't make much sense in MBTI terms, considering the order.

Oh, I see.
I used X to show off my ambiversion.

I just think that it is possible for one function to not necessarily be dominant- the same goes for the third and fourth functions.

Hence why someone cannot be an IXTP, an ISXP, ISTX.. and so on..but someone can be an XSTP-

Also I think from an aesthetic point of view, A looks a little nicer than X... ;)

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I just think that it is possible for one function to not necessarily be dominant- the same goes for the third and fourth functions.

Can you elaborate on why you believe this is the case, rather than it simply not being apparent which is dominant?

If you're indicating that you don't know what your dominant is, and what your auxiliary is, because of how you end up using them... I can accept that. But I'm not sure I can agree that it makes sense to assert that you have no truly dominant process in the context of MBTI.

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
I will elaborate.
I realize what I mean isn't that I have no dominant function.
It is mostly that some days Ne takes the lead and other days Ti takes the lead.
However, neither Ti nor Ne is stronger than the other.. and in my case.. I don't think either Si nor Fe is stronger.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Oh, I see.
I used X to show off my ambiversion.

Hence why someone cannot be an IXTP, an ISXP, ISTX.. and so on..but someone can be an XSTP-

Also I think from an aesthetic point of view, A looks a little nicer than X... ;)

Someone can be IXTP -- they wouldn't be sure of their middle two functions. If someone was ISXP, they wouldn't be sure of their dominant. If someone is XSTP, they know which functions they use, but they don't know the exact order. Really, the only one that really annoys me out of all of those would be ISTX, because then everything's a scramble.

The thing is that when one function is dominant, then it implies that certain things are anathema. It also allows everything else to run smoothly. If you decide that both functions are 'equally dominant,' then all of the sudden you have four chunks of functions rather than a smooth guideline. There are certain things that a dominant function implies. Now, if you can't tell which is which, that's fine, but asserting that neither is dominant doesn't make much sense in terms of MBTI.

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Someone can be IXTP -- they wouldn't be sure of their middle two functions. If someone was ISXP, they wouldn't be sure of their dominant. If someone is XSTP, they know which functions they use, but they don't know the exact order. Really, the only one that really annoys me out of all of those would be ISTX, because then everything's a scramble.

I agree with what you are saying but there are some differences.

If someone's an ISXP- that person simply needs to do some research on Fi and Ti and figure out which is part of his/her personality. I've done that and figured out Ti fits me to a T (no pun intended)..you don't have both in the Top 4.

Same case with IXTP- Ne or Se? They are different enough that a person will be able to realize what fits better. You don't have both in the Top 4.

However, for xSTP.. the person clearly knows what his or her functions are.
He knows that he is most comfortable with Ti & Se and has Ni & Fe but to the a lesser degree..

The first two are due to lack of knowledge of what each function truly means.
The third case isn't.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I will elaborate.
I realize what I mean isn't that I have no dominant function.
It is mostly that some days Ne takes the lead and other days Ti takes the lead.
However, neither Ti nor Ne is stronger than the other.. and in my case.. I don't think either Si nor Fe is stronger.

Thanks for explaining.

So, from what I understand, the "A" means that you switch between being an INTP and an ENTP depending on your circumstances, correct? But at any given moment, you are indeed one or the other?

A bit complicated and dynamic, but it is a possible belief considering the uncertainty inherent in MBTI, depending on how much inconsistency you're willing to accept in the nature of people's types.

If you accept that type can change, then I suppose it works.

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
So, from what I understand, the "A" means that you switch between being an INTP and an ENTP depending on your circumstances, correct? But at any given moment, you are indeed one or the other?
You got it, ;)

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
You got it, ;)

It sounds to me like in this case, introversion would be extroversion, one would have to zoom out enough to find a pattern -- either going by which one seemed 'most dominant' or by which trait seemed 'most inferior.' People can behave in patterns congruent to all types each day, but the point is to be able to find a pattern.

That would by why Ps would be the most likely 'ambiverts', because they'd be unwilling to settle for a letter there, deciding that each little bit of wavering of personality in the wind is important.