User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: Ambiverts!

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Mondo View Post
    A is supposed to be the same thing as X.
    I had X as being in the middle.
    Ah, I see then.

I think the "A" could work just as well as an X for people who don't know which function is dominant. But in my opinion, it's saying exactly the same thing: "I know I prefer this Introverted function, and this Extraverted function, but I don't know which function is my auxiliary, and which one is my dominant." Thus, I question the value of introducing a new way of representing the same idea (it may create confusion), although I do not see real harm in doing so.

Granted, there may be genuine confusion here for many people, especially if the development of the two is close together. But I do still think everyone has one dominant function that they prefer, if only infinitesimally. I will admit that if they're close enough in development, it may be near impossible to tell which.

MBTI
    ENFJ

A is supposed to be the same thing as X.
    I had X as being in the middle.
    Well, X is supposed to be provisional, even if it's there forever. It implies that "I use these four functions, but I don't know the exact order." 'Ambivert' implies, "I have these four functions, and I use introversion and extroversion evenly," which is an assertion that doesn't make much sense in MBTI terms, considering the order.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Well, X is supposed to be provisional, even if it's there forever. It implies that "I use these four functions, but I don't know the exact order." 'Ambivert' implies, "I have these four functions, and I use introversion and extroversion evenly," which is an assertion that doesn't make much sense in MBTI terms, considering the order.
    Oh, I see.
    I used X to show off my ambiversion.

I just think that it is possible for one function to not necessarily be dominant- the same goes for the third and fourth functions.

Hence why someone cannot be an IXTP, an ISXP, ISTX.. and so on..but someone can be an XSTP-

Also I think from an aesthetic point of view, A looks a little nicer than X...
    MBTI Type: iNTj
    Enneagram Type: 3w4 sp/sx

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I just think that it is possible for one function to not necessarily be dominant- the same goes for the third and fourth functions.
    Can you elaborate on why you believe this is the case, rather than it simply not being apparent which is dominant?

If you're indicating that you don't know what your dominant is, and what your auxiliary is, because of how you end up using them... I can accept that. But I'm not sure I can agree that it makes sense to assert that you have no truly dominant process in the context of MBTI.

MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

I will elaborate.
    I realize what I mean isn't that I have no dominant function.
    It is mostly that some days Ne takes the lead and other days Ti takes the lead.
    However, neither Ti nor Ne is stronger than the other.. and in my case.. I don't think either Si nor Fe is stronger.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Oh, I see.
    I used X to show off my ambiversion.

Hence why someone cannot be an IXTP, an ISXP, ISTX.. and so on..but someone can be an XSTP-

Also I think from an aesthetic point of view, A looks a little nicer than X...
    Someone can be IXTP -- they wouldn't be sure of their middle two functions. If someone was ISXP, they wouldn't be sure of their dominant. If someone is XSTP, they know which functions they use, but they don't know the exact order. Really, the only one that really annoys me out of all of those would be ISTX, because then everything's a scramble.

The thing is that when one function is dominant, then it implies that certain things are anathema. It also allows everything else to run smoothly. If you decide that both functions are 'equally dominant,' then all of the sudden you have four chunks of functions rather than a smooth guideline. There are certain things that a dominant function implies. Now, if you can't tell which is which, that's fine, but asserting that neither is dominant doesn't make much sense in terms of MBTI.

MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Someone can be IXTP -- they wouldn't be sure of their middle two functions. If someone was ISXP, they wouldn't be sure of their dominant. If someone is XSTP, they know which functions they use, but they don't know the exact order. Really, the only one that really annoys me out of all of those would be ISTX, because then everything's a scramble.
    I agree with what you are saying but there are some differences.

If someone's an ISXP- that person simply needs to do some research on Fi and Ti and figure out which is part of his/her personality. I've done that and figured out Ti fits me to a T (no pun intended)..you don't have both in the Top 4.

Same case with IXTP- Ne or Se? They are different enough that a person will be able to realize what fits better. You don't have both in the Top 4.

However, for xSTP.. the person clearly knows what his or her functions are.
    He knows that he is most comfortable with Ti & Se and has Ni & Fe but to the a lesser degree..

The first two are due to lack of knowledge of what each function truly means.
    The third case isn't.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I will elaborate.
    I realize what I mean isn't that I have no dominant function.
    It is mostly that some days Ne takes the lead and other days Ti takes the lead.
    However, neither Ti nor Ne is stronger than the other.. and in my case.. I don't think either Si nor Fe is stronger.
    Thanks for explaining.

So, from what I understand, the "A" means that you switch between being an INTP and an ENTP depending on your circumstances, correct? But at any given moment, you are indeed one or the other?

A bit complicated and dynamic, but it is a possible belief considering the uncertainty inherent in MBTI, depending on how much inconsistency you're willing to accept in the nature of people's types.

If you accept that type can change, then I suppose it works.

MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

So, from what I understand, the "A" means that you switch between being an INTP and an ENTP depending on your circumstances, correct? But at any given moment, you are indeed one or the other?
    You got it,

MBTI
    ENFJ

You got it,
    It sounds to me like in this case, introversion would be extroversion, one would have to zoom out enough to find a pattern -- either going by which one seemed 'most dominant' or by which trait seemed 'most inferior.' People can behave in patterns congruent to all types each day, but the point is to be able to find a pattern.

That would by why Ps would be the most likely 'ambiverts', because they'd be unwilling to settle for a letter there, deciding that each little bit of wavering of personality in the wind is important.