User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Results 21 to 30 of 36

  1. #21
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    13,993

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    Nah, that party is too conservative for me.
    Ok then, you're wrong.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

  2. #22
    Analytical Dreamer Coriolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    17,575

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mal12345 View Post
    I've never heard that one about SPs. But what's wrong with positive generalizing? At least it's positive.
    What's wrong is that it's wrong. Some generalizations are more accurate than others to begin with, but none describe everyone within a given type, and some are really no more true of one type than another (or at least apply to several types). Put another way, the generalization that, say, INTJs are more intelligent than other types might be "positive" for INTJs, but puts down every other type, without basis.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

  3. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    spso
    Posts
    130

    Default

    I think the MBTI focuses too much on positivity. While unrelated on first glance, sites like erowid.org pay equal attention to the negative side of drugs and the positive. In this fashion, the drugs are as they are, and deicisons made can be more whole and secure.

    Likewise, the MBTI should expound more on the roles of inferiors, even for superficial sites like humanetrics. The effect of this would be two fold:
    1. Most of us know our strenghts and weaknesses. Being of extremes, it's easier to relate to two functions. Knowing their top and bottom function at least restricts them to a realistic subset of types.
    2. The "my type can do anything" mentality will cease. Loads of people love the INTP and INTJ types, but if they were explained the rammifications of Inferior of Extravertd Feeling and Sensing, respectively, I think a good deal of mistypes would not relate or idealize it as much. Both of those inferiors can be pretty incapaciting early on in life.

  4. #24
    Analytical Dreamer Coriolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    17,575

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elocute View Post
    I think the MBTI focuses too much on positivity. While unrelated on first glance, sites like erowid.org pay equal attention to the negative side of drugs and the positive. In this fashion, the drugs are as they are, and deicisons made can be more whole and secure.
    This depends in large part on which set of type descriptions you read. Some are more balanced and realistic, some like those on Similarminds have a very negative slant. Many type qualities are a double-edged sword, useful in moderation, but harmful if taken too far. It is best to read a handful of descriptions rather than become fixated on one that seems appealing.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

  5. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    spso
    Posts
    130

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    This depends in large part on which set of type descriptions you read. Some are more balanced and realistic, some like those on Similarminds have a very negative slant. Many type qualities are a double-edged sword, useful in moderation, but harmful if taken too far. It is best to read a handful of descriptions rather than become fixated on one that seems appealing.
    Well, that's precisely what I mean. Most of us heard of these theories through some inadvertent ad on the internet, or perhaps we heard it name-dropped once or twice in a college cours,e or a summer read. The first things people see are what creates the first impression, regardless of type. I think sites with large slants are doing the theory a serious disservice, and they are far in the majority.

    This then creates a poor degree of standardization. By reading Soci and then Myer's Briggs, one would think they read something of near completly different origin. If there's not a lot of convergence, it becomes questionable as to what is correct, especially since there are very few "officials" as there are in less theorhetical psychology.

  6. #26
    Society
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    What's wrong is that it's wrong. Some generalizations are more accurate than others to begin with, but none describe everyone within a given type, and some are really no more true of one type than another (or at least apply to several types). Put another way, the generalization that, say, INTJs are more intelligent than other types might be "positive" for INTJs, but puts down every other type, without basis.
    i am not sure i follow - if a stereotype would be correct & it's premise factually true - would it still be flawed/wrong to use it?

  7. #27
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    148

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    I don't have a bulky body like O.J. or Tyson. Not even close. I have a tennis player body and, yes, I was on the tennis team in school.
    For some reason I've always pictured you as being bulky.

  8. #28
    Senior Member Jaguar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    12,426

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mal12345 View Post
    Ok then, you're wrong.
    No, I'm Jaguar.

  9. #29
    Analytical Dreamer Coriolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    17,575

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elocute View Post
    Well, that's precisely what I mean. Most of us heard of these theories through some inadvertent ad on the internet, or perhaps we heard it name-dropped once or twice in a college cours,e or a summer read. The first things people see are what creates the first impression, regardless of type. I think sites with large slants are doing the theory a serious disservice, and they are far in the majority.

    This then creates a poor degree of standardization. By reading Soci and then Myer's Briggs, one would think they read something of near completly different origin. If there's not a lot of convergence, it becomes questionable as to what is correct, especially since there are very few "officials" as there are in less theorhetical psychology.
    There is no accounting for people who will hear an advertisement or sound byte and jump to conclusions without any further research. In fact, most advertisements depend on exactly this reaction. With something like MBTI, however, you get out what you put in. If you are unwilling to look into it and become informed, it will be no more than a parlor game to you, and no more useful.

    Quote Originally Posted by Society View Post
    i am not sure i follow - if a stereotype would be correct & it's premise factually true - would it still be flawed/wrong to use it?
    If a stereotype is factually correct, it is a statistically supportable generalization rather than a stereotype. Contrast the statements: women have ovaries (not universal, but generally true); with Black people are lazy, or Jews are miserly.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

  10. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    spso
    Posts
    130

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    There is no accounting for people who will hear an advertisement or sound byte and jump to conclusions without any further research. In fact, most advertisements depend on exactly this reaction. With something like MBTI, however, you get out what you put in. If you are unwilling to look into it and become informed, it will be no more than a parlor game to you, and no more useful.


    If a stereotype is factually correct, it is a statistically supportable generalization rather than a stereotype. Contrast the statements: women have ovaries (not universal, but generally true); with Black people are lazy, or Jews are miserly.
    True, but I don't think the resources out there now make it easy to deciminate "truth." There are some extremely thought-provoking and well-written accounts of 16 types, but because many of the wirters have, at times, wildly varying conclusions, it makes it difficult to know the truth. I think this is different than someone who sees an advertisement on TV and has a knee-jer reaction. Knowing whether something helps acne can be searched for in peer-reviewed journals. There are near zero official MBTI/JCF material in comparison, For example, I've noticed a big difference in the "J" factor with XNXJ and XSXJ, but most material seems to focus on XSXJ versions.

    I'm not sure if something like this can ever be standardized, It doesn't seem to be on most researcher's list

Similar Threads

  1. Video: INFJ and INFP talk about Feeling
    By highlander in forum Typology Videos and RSS Feeds
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-21-2014, 07:49 PM
  2. INFP and INFJ Talk About Feeling
    By highlander in forum Typology Videos and RSS Feeds
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-03-2014, 01:19 AM
  3. A few thoughts about past and present experiences from MBTI forums
    By Valiant in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 56
    Last Post: 05-18-2009, 09:18 AM
  4. [ISFJ] ISFJs and talking about farting or poop
    By 527468 in forum The SJ Guardhouse (ESFJ, ISFJ, ESTJ, ISTJ)
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 02-17-2009, 06:24 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO