• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do you understand yourself well without typology?

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Typology served the purpose of helping me assert the fact that, just because my family said otherwise, I'm still a normal human being.

Experience in life is what brought about self awareness.

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

I understand myself by disagreeing with others -- it's through conflict and action that I start hearing my own voice

I relate to this.

I've always known I'm not like most people. I stand out in both good and bad ways. I can blend into the crowd but as soon as we start talking it's pretty immediate.

And I also relate to this.

And this was one of the reasons why I've always been into typology. For the first time I felt like I wasn't alone. It was nice.

As for the OP, my answer put simply is no. I would not know myself as much or as fast as I'd like to with some tools like typology. I know it's a never ending process though. I just think it's a good tool for me personally cause I am quick to judge the competence of others around me. I used to really just think that every though the same way. In this way typology is like a reminder for me to let go. Like I'll remind myself "People aren't stupid, they're just different."

And I'd just like to add, that I think that the enneagram and instincts helped me grow the most. I never would have acknowledged things about myself at the rate that I have without it.

Ghost

Megustalations
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
So: would you have a difficult time with understanding yourself without a typological framework in which you can categorize your traits? Is it necessary to have this framework to quantify how you function, or is it mere interest that brought you to them?

I wouldn't say a framework is necessary. When the astrology threads were more active I realized it's not the system itself that draws me in, it's the way the system provides a possible insight into my inner workings that I can then analyze. Typology makes me think about things in a more thorough way and helps facilitate introspection. I considered myself introspective, but I realized there's usually an external source that I internalize and study. When I was younger, those external sources were stories and accounts of other people's experiences that made me think, "Would I do that?" or "How would I feel?" Typology gives me a framework to toy with and specific terms and concepts to use when exploring the mechanics of how I am.

When I don't have something to chew on, it doesn't occur to me to question how I operate. It just is what it is. Typology points me toward possibilities and makes me aware of some biases. I don't think I'd understand myself as well without it. It's likely I'd have focused on another area for self-improvement and self-understanding.

Tem

Enneagram
8w9
So do you have a hard time identifying with or appreciating people because of themselves as a whole rather than their set of characteristics?
No, not quite, I do see value in everyone. I just have to actively stop myself from automatically trying to categorize actions and behaviors into a system.

I tend to take small bits of information and try to project a full-length image from it, so that's how I use these systems.

I see you identify with INTJ; so this would be a manifestation of Te. I wonder if those that identify with Te > Ti will have an easier time working with these systems. It seems logical that these types would naturally be attuned to finding use and working within their paradigms.
Well there are many schools of thought -- it can also logically appeal to Fe types as a way to make sense *Ti* of their observations of others' characters *Fe*.

That's interesting... so it's almost like a source of control, and perhaps comfort, for you? You latch onto these external systems to keep you stable?
Not stable but it is interesting to take a backseat approach sometimes.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I understand myself quite well without a categorizing system, sometimes the systems can just confuse the matter because I have the tendency to try to put everything into the system. (typical INTP issue ;) ) A system no matter how well designed, can't explain every little quirk about someone. Systems are approximations and should be treated as such. You want to find a career you'll likely be satisfied with. A system can help to some extent. People of the same type tend to favor some types of careers and disfavor others but it's by no means failproof. That INTP in the corner just might make a great salesperson, but their approach to the job will probably be different than an ESFJ would take.

small.wonder

So she did.
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I understand myself at a deep level with or without a typology system. I think that's how I recognized myself in the 4w5 description so readily, because I already knew I had those issues, traits and motivations. I actually wonder if people who take longer to type are just less self aware. Either that or less forthcoming about the negative side of their knowledge of self. :thinking: Someone should do a study on that: which types accurately type quickest. I do have some theories there. :D

Chad of the OttomanEmpire

Give me a fourth dot.
MBTI Type
NeTi
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I actually knew myself better BEFORE I got into typology. The large numbers of things I read about what could "potentially" be true of me (being about 16 years old when I discovered the enneagram) just led me on a years-long wild goose chase. Doesn't help that there are many stereotypes floating around out there which, frankly, confuse those who haven't done hardcore reading and internalized the system in nuanced depth.

I actually wonder if people who take longer to type are just less self aware. Either that or less forthcoming about the negative side of their knowledge of self.

I have some experience with this topic, so I'll respond. I got told this a lot on other forums, actually, except minus the scientific curiosity and respectful wording you have exhibited. (I.e., they said things like "You just don't know yourself." "You just can't admit it" "You're in denial, you silly fool".) I can't speak for anyone else who has mistyped for years, but I am all too aware of the more negative aspects of myself, and most of those traits are typically assigned to types other than my own. My core type is not really what "my problem" is in life. (People I've discussed this with IRL actually don't believe me about my core so...it's not just my own idiocy here.)

I do think Ne-doms are inclined to mistype, however--in my experience, it creates a personality that shows different sides of itself to different people; extraverts then tend to accept outward definitions of themselves. Worse, there is a marked tendency to float multiple possibilities and lose focus of the the "essence". I believe this was the other part of my mistype adventures.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
there are different parts of ourselves.

before typology, i knew myself fairly well. i recognized myself immediately in the ENFP description, and have consistently tested as that type, much like [MENTION=17697]small.wonder[/MENTION] said.

where typology has helped was in being able to talk about it and think about different aspects of my personality more specifically, like [MENTION=21883]sunyata[/MENTION] said. it helps to give something a name.

i wouldn't say i know myself better now that i've put a bunch of labels on myself. i would, though, say that i'm better at accepting and working with myself as i am, and have a better idea of where improvements or growth are needed, and what a more balanced, mature version of myself would look like.

PlayWithFire

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I was drawn to MBTI several years ago while working to find a deeper understanding of myself. I've always been introspective and found learning about myself (as well as others) interesting. Personally, I don't find that having a set framework, MBTI or otherwise, is necessary for me to be able to understand myself.. But I think that it has helped me by allowing me to recognize certain patterns, develop new questions, etc.

I actually stepped away from MBTI for a long time because I found it too restrictive. I dislike how it can be used to pigeonhole everyone into some rigid little box. That said, I think it can be quite helpful - when used in a more general sense - to further knowledge of one's self.

small.wonder

So she did.
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
One more thought: I think where Enneagram has helped my understanding, is with others. I used to be so confused by the actions of others and the conflicts I would find myself in, knowing where that person is coming from has made worlds of difference. That said, I can see how the system could be horribly abused-- I just make an intentional effort not to.

I actually knew myself better BEFORE I got into typology. The large numbers of things I read about what could "potentially" be true of me (being about 16 years old when I discovered the enneagram) just led me on a years-long wild goose chase. Doesn't help that there are many stereotypes floating around out there which, frankly, confuse those who haven't done hardcore reading and internalized the system in nuanced depth.

Yeah, I don't think that's unusual (and this is exactly why I keep typology away from the high school kids I volunteer with). If theory has it right, most people who do that fall somewhere on the 3, 6, 9 spectrum. I know a handful of individuals who qualify and have talked with them about it, but I (obviously) believe other types can and do mistype as well. Hardcore reading is crucile, one of the common threads running through the people I've talked to is shallow (or no) reading. :doh: Seriously? Over-reading can land you in the same undecided spot though. ;)

I have some experience with this topic, so I'll respond. I got told this a lot on other forums, actually, except minus the scientific curiosity and respectful wording you have exhibited. (I.e., they said things like "You just don't know yourself." "You just can't admit it" "You're in denial, you silly fool".) I can't speak for anyone else who has mistyped for years, but I am all too aware of the more negative aspects of myself, and most of those traits are typically assigned to types other than my own. My core type is not really what "my problem" is in life. (People I've discussed this with IRL actually don't believe me about my core so...it's not just my own idiocy here.)

I do think Ne-doms are inclined to mistype, however--in my experience, it creates a personality that shows different sides of itself to different people; extraverts then tend to accept outward definitions of themselves. Worse, there is a marked tendency to float multiple possibilities and lose focus of the the "essence". I believe this was the other part of my mistype adventures.

Right, and I hope you realize that's not what I intended or meant at all. I could never presume to know an individual better than they do themselves, but I have been shocked at the way people I know really well falsely see themselves. Example: My 2 Mom completely denied (at first) having pride issues or only doing things for others to get love back. After reading, she took it more seriously and agreed. I know others who are just really confused about who they are and what they feel. Most people tend to identify correctly if they are relatively emotionally healthy and after narrowing it down to a couple types, are given some time with the text (I've mostly used The Wisdom of The Enneagram). Most of the confused and or mistyped people I come across really have been 3, 6 or 9 though, which actually surprised me at first (I didn't really expect it to ring true). It does make sense in theory though.

RiftsWRX

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Do you have difficulty with achieving satisfactory self-understanding without a categorizing system?

Personally I know and understand myself via introspecting but cannot do so well with applying myself to an external system. I understand that many come to a typology such as MBTI so they can understand themselves better.

So: would you have a difficult time with understanding yourself without a typological framework in which you can categorize your traits? Is it necessary to have this framework to quantify how you function, or is it mere interest that brought you to them?

I always understood "what" I am, and my fears. But the game changer for me, when I first started with the Enneagram, was in finally putting a voice and words objectively to what I am.

Effectively validating "I'm not crazy.. and I'm not alone". In that, I finally started to understand there are ways to back out of the doors I've walked into, and how to better myself... effectively giving me hope.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yes, I had a hard time understanding myself without using MBTI. It isn't even because MBTI is necessarily useful, although I find it so. I just needed some sort of arbitrary starting point to start gathering data to, to make observations against.

Chad of the OttomanEmpire

Give me a fourth dot.
MBTI Type
NeTi
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
One more thought: I think where Enneagram has helped my understanding, is with others. I used to be so confused by the actions of others and the conflicts I would find myself in, knowing where that person is coming from has made worlds of difference.
Ah yes. Understanding others has been the major benefit for me in my own case. Suddenly everything makes sense! On the other hand, it's also made me tolerant of things I maybe shouldn't be tolerant of. Mixed bag, I guess.

Yeah, I don't think that's unusual (and this is exactly why I keep typology away from the high school kids I volunteer with). If theory has it right, most people who do that fall somewhere on the 3, 6, 9 spectrum. I know a handful of individuals who qualify and have talked with them about it, but I (obviously) believe other types can and do mistype as well. Hardcore reading is crucile, one of the common threads running through the people I've talked to is shallow (or no) reading. :doh: Seriously? Over-reading can land you in the same undecided spot though. ;)
Oh so much of this! Someone in a chat group was trying to tell me that because I said, "I'm certain I'm not type X", it therefore proved I was type X. He was all, "You have quality A more than quality B [as if one can deduce this in a chat forum]; therefore you have Y-wing". And it was all based on online internet descriptions and gossip! I was like, How can I carry on a conversation with someone so un-knowlegeable?? Then they start kicking around the lamest ideas as if they were gold...ugh, so much for continued self-development.

As you say, it's also a good idea NOT to give this stuff to high school kids. Not only is their life- and self-experience limited, they're inclined to misuse it. "You're a weird artist so you're a 4!!" I got told this as a teen, which did wonders in making me reject the type from initial consideration.

Right, and I hope you realize that's not what I intended or meant at all. I could never presume to know an individual better than they do themselves, but I have been shocked at the way people I know really well falsely see themselves. Example: My 2 Mom completely denied (at first) having pride issues or only doing things for others to get love back. After reading, she took it more seriously and agreed. I know others who are just really confused about who they are and what they feel. Most people tend to identify correctly if they are relatively emotionally healthy and after narrowing it down to a couple types, are given some time with the text (I've mostly used The Wisdom of The Enneagram). Most of the confused and or mistyped people I come across really have been 3, 6 or 9 though, which actually surprised me at first (I didn't really expect it to ring true). It does make sense in theory though.
What you say about your mother doesn't surprise me, as this is supposedly a subconscious process for 2s--their defenses gear them toward believing in their own best intentions. No hidden agenda at all! I'm not surprised she dismissed that at first.

I've heard the theory about the attachment types (haven't read it in any book, actually), but the 9s I've met have generally known what they were upon reading about it. This is, like, two of them, though. They were both older adults. Theoretically, these tend to be the types out of touch with some aspect of themselves, so it makes sense.

Sometimes, though, there's "over knowledge" of ones' idiosyncracies, similar to "over-reading". And that's a whole nother can of worms.

infinite

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
~8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Do you have difficulty with achieving satisfactory self-understanding without a categorizing system?

Personally I know and understand myself via introspecting but cannot do so well with applying myself to an external system. I understand that many come to a typology such as MBTI so they can understand themselves better.

Yes, I need a framework to categorize traits and quantify things. It's not entirely necessary to do any of this though. I'm just trying to see if it helps with some realizations about 1) myself 2) communication styles with certain other people.

I'm not interested beyond these two objectives. I don't feel much need to put labels on people. Sometimes I engage with a few friends - who are interested in MBTI - in attempts to label ourselves but the label finding game is really just an excuse to examine ourselves deeper.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yes. But it helped me figure out I wasn't alone. Beyond that point, I'm not sure what utility it has. There's a mild danger of using it as an excuse to actually learn about other people, or to either avoid growing, or set along some artificial, ossified path. It's a good idea to not place too much importance on it.

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
If course i do because there is enneagram.

On a more serious note yes i do since i have my moments of introspection.

I do so mostly when i am feeling down tho.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Elaborate?

It should be "there's a mild danger of using it as an excuse instead of actually learning about other people". Does that clarify things?

If not... I can definitely explain further.

infinite

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
~8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It should be "there's a mild danger of using it as an excuse instead of actually learning about other people". Does that clarify things?

If not... I can definitely explain further.

hehh yes that clarifies :p

deleted
I think I understand myself way better without typology, but there is one major thing: Jung's Psychological Types helped me find my dual and partner, and continues to explain why we get along so well, and why we get along with other Ne-Si-Te-Fi-ers. It is continually useful and necessary for me to use to understand people, giving me discernment of family, friends, our similarities and differences in communication style. It does give me a more relative sense of self. I understand why with certain people we just don't get one other, while others seem very nice and interesting. I realized I'm usually very comfortable around people who use those four functions and I can branch social gaps I didn't think were possible before. Holland's Career Types helped me to better appreciate that I'm very artistic and creative compared to most people and gave me a lot of useful career options. Keirsey-MBTI is interesting in that I'm actually both a feeler and a thinker, MBTI in that I'm based on feeling more than logic, but Keirsey in that I'm based on thinking and analysis more than people and ethics, so in a way I understand my uniqueness in some new areas. These discoveries are all nice, and knowing some of these basic limits in each typology led me to accurate typing.