User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by Caw the rooks View Post
    The great paradox is that you are not water, you are fire and ice, together. Do you feel invisible to others then?
    I do, but you aren't understanding. I have qualities of water I've always been drawn to water for as long as I can remember
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

Despite what others might think, typology systems have not helped me better to understand myself. I didn't seek them to acheive that either. All they did was make thing appear in a nice little package with a pretty label; that is the entirety of why I got sucked into it. It was pretty, and felt nice. Everything else remained exactly the same. If anything, in the years past typology was really misleading and lead me astray. Seeing myself in false light and focusing on minutia aspects of my personality. I used to take typology way too seriously years back.

While I need external references to understand where I am at and where I stand with things i.e. how good I am at something, how smart I am, how attractive I am, etc. I loathe just creating something out of thin air using only myself without anything to bounce off. However, I don't require some sort of created labeling system to do it. It's an organic process to me. In fact, I find it restrictive into understanding myself if I have to use a labeling system to understand myself. It misses the big picture. I don't need it in day to day life either. I get what I need from just being around others.

Ultimately, I just see it as a fun label system.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

I don't think I can understand myself without an external system since I never feel like I can describe or understand myself accurately. Not just with mbti, but I've also looked into horoscope in order to better understand myself. At the current moment I don't feel like I have an accurate perception of myself so that's why I rely on other sources to tell me so. I find it to be a lot easier with external sources since all you have to do is point and say "Omg that's exactly how I am!"

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    I do, but you aren't understanding. I have qualities of water I've always been drawn to water for as long as I can remember
    Ah, okay. It's interesting how we create these associations, I wonder where they come from.

Possibly. Maybe not. Maybe I'd come to the same realizations faster/slower without typology.

I don't let it dictate my major life decisions (i.e. I shouldn't apply for that job because X type isn't supposed to be very good at that profession), but at the very least, a better understanding of the JCF has helped me to better understand some of my idiosyncrasies and why I might not perceive the world the same as every single other individual. With any typology system there is always the danger of putting one's self and others into boxes, but it can be a useful tool for growth and development of cognitive ability, if properly utilized.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Hard View Post
    Despite what others might think, typology systems have not helped me better to understand myself. I didn't seek them to acheive that either. All they did was make thing appear in a nice little package with a pretty label; that is the entirety of why I got sucked into it. It was pretty, and felt nice. Everything else remained exactly the same. If anything, in the years past typology was really misleading and lead me astray. Seeing myself in false light and focusing on minutia aspects of my personality. I used to take typology way too seriously years back.
    That is a very similar to my situation with it as well. A little badge... yes. Now though it's more about analyzing the system rather than myself. That's a problem with typology, I think: people sometimes take their type too seriously and even try to fit with the stereotype by adjusting behavior. I've seen people change their type and then change how they act to correspond to it!

While I need external references to understand where I am at and where I stand with things i.e. how good I am at something, how smart I am, how attractive I am, etc. I loathe just creating something out of thin air using only myself without anything to bounce off. However, I don't require some sort of created labeling system to do it. It's an organic process to me. In fact, I find it restrictive into understanding myself if I have to use a labeling system to understand myself. It misses the big picture. I don't need it in day to day life either. I get what I need from just being around others.

Ultimately, I just see it as a fun label system.
    Do you really get much use of out it then? Do you see it as worthwhile to continue your interest in it, really?

Quote Originally Posted by PancakeMix View Post
    I don't think I can understand myself without an external system since I never feel like I can describe or understand myself accurately. Not just with mbti, but I've also looked into horoscope in order to better understand myself. At the current moment I don't feel like I have an accurate perception of myself so that's why I rely on other sources to tell me so. I find it to be a lot easier with external sources since all you have to do is point and say "Omg that's exactly how I am!"
    The problem with that is all the biases your mind conjures to fit with what the sources say... it's not really you is it? Self-analysis after an even, after you have made some significant decision and taken action, I find to be very useful in finding out your self. Why did you do this, what lead you to it etc. Then you begin to build up a picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Conduit View Post
    I don't let it dictate my major life decisions (i.e. I shouldn't apply for that job because X type isn't supposed to be very good at that profession)
    Yeah, that's pretty much the worst way to utilize it IMO. Especially for jobs... why would it matter then, if you wanted to do something? To be honest, when does it matter at all, in the real world.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so

Yes, but typology gives me a way to categorize all the various parts of my personality cleanly. Of course, the times I differentiate from the information given to me I just realize is a part of me that doesn't mesh with the theory.
    7w6 - 2w3 - 8w7 sx/so

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp
    Socionics
    INFj Ne

A lot of the times I think that people on this forum feel the constant need to always live up to the stereotypes of what type they are. I'm not sure if I like the Enneagram very much anymore, I'd prefer it with a lot of blanks like MBTI. Tritypes is what ruins it in my opinion. There's a difference between understanding self and being all obsessed with a new age, pseudoscience psychology that lacks actual scientific ground.

MBTI
    ENTP

When I was younger I was convinced I understood myself perfectly. In later, more ambiguous years I sought external, objective metrics for perspective. Learning MBTI and Enneagram fundamentals has made me warmer and more understanding, and has fueled a lot of useful introspection.

So, in response to the OP, no, they are not necessary, but I find the stable objectivity they offer comforting.

MBTI
    jedi
    Enneagram

to control a demon is to know its name

through study, phenomenon is transferred into the noumenal, and with perfect clarity ascription is on employ