123 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Default Your "alien" type.

I've been thinking of this for a while now. Thought I'd see what you lot thought.

Right I'm placing my type as INTP (I know, controversial but there you go) so my "opposite" is ESFJ right? Well as that is my shadow profile it should mean that at some level I run parallel to that type, should it not? Ergo the type is familiar to me.

What I was trying to think of was the type which I should (according to theory) have the most difficulty of finding common ground with, the type I'm most likely to find uncofortable to be around (at least at first).

Firstly you have the idea of switching around the function preferences as per figuring out your shadow. INTP becomes ESFJ, INTJ becomes ESFP and so on. But I figure that's missing something when trying to think what type would be your opposite (ie has no points of agreement).

IJ and EP are the same as they both have their perception function first.
    IP and EJ are the same as they both have their judging function first.

Ergo would it not an ESFP be more the opposite of an INTP than an ESFJ would be? Shoudn't an ESFP and an INTP have more difficulty communicating and getting along?

Whaddya reckon?
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp
    Socionics
    INTj Ni

That sounds likely for me too, although I can't say I've met many ESFPs. The few (guessed) ESFP males at work I know I get along with but we don't really "mesh" in any meaningful way, beyond laughing at each others' jokes from afar once in a while.
    intp | type 9w1 sp/sx/so

Enneagram
    1w2

Xander how is this a new revelation?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by spirilis View Post
    That sounds likely for me too, although I can't say I've met many ESFPs. The few (guessed) ESFP males at work I know I get along with but we don't really "mesh" in any meaningful way, beyond laughing at each others' jokes from afar once in a while.
    I was thinking as I wrote it that ESFP is a bad example.. Few people I've met could not get on with them. Mind you I am often left with the whole on my face after they've just explained their latest catastrophy that they neither thought about nor compensated for..

To the top of the world arcticangel02's Avatar
    MBTI
    eNFP

Yes, I would agree with this... my 'opposite' is ISTP (or ESTP), and I know of someone IRL of every single other type, but not either of those. I think there's probably a reason.

ENFP: Ne Fi Te Si
    ISTP: Ti Se Ni Fe

Nothing matches at all. At least with an ISTJ (for example), we've got the same functions.
    ANFP:
    Extraversion (52%) ---- Introversion (48%)
    Sensing (26%) ---- iNtuition (74%)
    Thinking (16%) ---- Feeling (84%)
    Judging (5%) ---- Perceiving (95%)

9w1 so/sx/sp

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by arcticangel02 View Post
    Yes, I would agree with this... my 'opposite' is ISTP (or ESTP), and I know of someone IRL of every single other type, but not either of those. I think there's probably a reason.

ENFP: Ne Fi Te Si
    ISTP: Ti Se Ni Fe

Nothing matches at all. At least with an ISTJ (for example), we've got the same functions.
    Try telling Dom. My example of ISTJ is something he doesn't like too much. In fact it's the only person I've ever known him categorically not get on with... ever!

Senior Thread Terminator Aerithria's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

I myself find my direct opposite to be ISFJ (Si Fe Ti Ne), as not only am I unfamiliar with those functions, the placement of said functions seem to prioritize the functions I'm most uncomfortable with (S, F, T, N while mine are N, T, F, S).

If that makes any sense.
    [insert funny quote/saying/etc.]

MBTI
    N358

I think the complexity of interpersonal relations transcends definition by the MBTI system. The only real way to get reliable results in this would be to observe the idiosyncrasies of the relations.

It's not as simple as both types just "getting along". Mutual understanding doesn't necessarily equal friendliness. Even then it wouldn't be consistent across types. Put two ENTJ's in a room together and see if they don't tirelessly try to dominate one another. Then do the same experiment, but with ESTJ's, and see if they mind-link with Borg equipment and start doing some sort of weird ESTJ-organizing thing. Or take an EXFP and dump it in a room of varied types, and see if it gets along with anybody. Then again, if you take total opposites, it might even just be a one-way understanding with neither party even really giving a damn about communicating.

The bottom line is anybody can get along with anybody if they choose to do so and put forth the effort. Deeper understanding leads to better communication.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Aerithria View Post
    I myself find my direct opposite to be ISFJ (Si Fe Ti Ne), as not only am I unfamiliar with those functions, the placement of said functions seem to prioritize the functions I'm most uncomfortable with (S, F, T, N while mine are N, T, F, S).

If that makes any sense.
    Hmm. With Beebe's theory INTJ's shadow is Ne, Ti, Fe, Si, and that reversed is ISFJ, and vice versa. On INTJf, I think we've decided that INTJs and ISFJs have a hard time together, when at least ESFPs are charming, if they may get annoying after the first fifteen minutes.

I don't know. If it's a relationship anything more than a loose friendship, it kind of feels like they're intentionally trying to trip you up, even though you know they're not. They probably feel the same way around me, too.

So, I guess the formula would be, exchange the two letters in the middle. INTP --> ISFP, ESTJ --> ENFJ, etc.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Aerithria View Post

If that makes any sense.
    REsisting making a joke on the oservation of your function order... did you note that although between INTJ and ISFJ the individual functions are opposite that the pattern remains the same?

If you divide your functions into observational and decision making then INTJ is ODDO as is ISFJ. Now if you looked at ESFJ you would get the functions individually reversed and also the pattern of functions would be DOOD.

Either you're a shapeshifter from Star Trek or a surfer. It's a terrible choice!!!