First 12

Thread: Fi or Fe?

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    89?

Quote Originally Posted by infinite View Post
    Ok then take this as a general "you".
    huh I'm not sure what you mean . I know I'm now being very Te. In this examples I was just trying to get a better understanding of Fi and Fe and my confusion about these. I was not trying to talk about myself personally. If you must know I am completely opposite of b)! In my life I had a hard time understanding b) kind of people and I honestly think that is indication of Fe. For that I only come up with one example of it, but there are many: E.g. female person that 'values' family where it would stay with abusing husband, because well family. I mean, that's ridiculous to me. I mean no matter your family or love, how could you let someone molest you? That is common sense to me...

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I don't claim to be an expert on the functions so take my opinions with a grain of salt.

a) If you know what you feel but don't know why would that be Fi or Fe, or maybe both but it depends?

Knowing what you feel personally about things is Fi. Knowing why you feel that way sounds like a non-F function, maybe Ni or Ti?

b) If you think that e.g. you consider your mom strictly as mom, but not as a buddy/other person, is that Fe? (I'm not saying you have bad relationship with your mother for strictly considering her mom)

I don't see this as being Fi nor Fe. Putting things in categories according to preset criteria- Ti maybe?

c) If you feel like you want to 'change' other people so they have your personal value system is that Fi or Fe?

Hmmm, tricky. The personal value system stems from Fi. I see Fe as more inclined to want to change others but I also see Fe as wanting to change others to conform to some external social norm rather than conforming to their own value system. Also I think Fi would also recognize that others have their own unique values independent of theirs. So I don't really know. Maybe a combination of the two? Or there might be some other functions at work too.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Such Irony View Post
    I don't claim to be an expert on the functions so take my opinions with a grain of salt.

a) If you know what you feel but don't know why would that be Fi or Fe, or maybe both but it depends?

Knowing what you feel personally about things is Fi. Knowing why you feel that way sounds like a non-F function, maybe Ni or Ti?
    I think I (respectfully) disagree somewhat here. I think any type can learn emotional awareness, but I agree that Fi tends to put a higher value on personal emotions/valuations, and Fi-ers tend to have more friendly and aware relationship with their emotions that most other types. For Fi-ers, an emotional reaction is valuable information: it points to something, even if the emotional reaction itself isn't "truth."

I think that Feeling functions naturally build up truths over time, and those truths include an understanding of emotional and social cause and effect. Being able to express those truths externally in a way comprehensible to others may require Thinking, since the interplay of subjective values and feelings can be hard to externalize clearly.

An aside on emotional awareness: just about anyone can learn how to be emotionally aware, and for some focusing explicitly on the bodily sensations that accompany emotions can be very effective. To me that approach tends to comes across as too mechanical and simplistic, but those who routinely ignore their emotional state tend to lose physical awareness along with emotionally awareness.

As aside about types and their relationship to emotion: It's been eye opening to me on this forum to hear about how others relate to their own emotions. For some younger INTPs, strong emotions seem to be experiences as an alien invader that will unexpectedly rise up and interfere with rational thought. Some INFJs tend to feel their emotions to powerful and dangerous to express directly, and that they should remain "the dragon in the basement". INFPs tend to view their emotions a continual barometer and as a companion that gives early warnings (dog or crying baby). Some INTJs tend to see their emotions as a vulnerability that is only shared with those they trust deeply.

b) If you think that e.g. you consider your mom strictly as mom, but not as a buddy/other person, is that Fe? (I'm not saying you have bad relationship with your mother for strictly considering her mom)

I don't see this as being Fi nor Fe. Putting things in categories according to preset criteria- Ti maybe?
    Everyone is capable of seeing others as a person and not a role (okay, barring narcissists, sociopaths, etc), so I think one can only address tendencies. I think Fe tends to be more aware of social roles and attendant responsibilities. I think Fi tends to be less aware of social roles and responsibilities.

c) If you feel like you want to 'change' other people so they have your personal value system is that Fi or Fe?

Hmmm, tricky. The personal value system stems from Fi. I see Fe as more inclined to want to change others but I also see Fe as wanting to change others to conform to some external social norm rather than conforming to their own value system. Also I think Fi would also recognize that others have their own unique values independent of theirs. So I don't really know. Maybe a combination of the two? Or there might be some other functions at work too.
    I agree. I think Fi-ers can lash out when a core value is trod upon (some things are just beyond the pale), but tend to leave a fair amount of room for differing opinions and outlook. This may not hold true, however, for very close friends and immediate familiar members who may feel silently judged for failure to live up to the Fi-ers values.

One way Fi-ers sometimes try to change others is to encourage people to "be true to themselves/their values." This can come across as relentlessly nudge-y in some circumstances.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    ~8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Agnes View Post
    huh I'm not sure what you mean . I know I'm now being very Te.
    I meant "you" wasn't you but a general you, as in, a "you" applied to anyone. First hit in google for that term: on and the general "you" - WordReference Forums

I don't know what you meant by being very Te??? I'm curious let me know.

In this examples I was just trying to get a better understanding of Fi and Fe and my confusion about these. I was not trying to talk about myself personally.
    Yes I already got that when I said take the "you" as a "general you".

If you must know I am completely opposite of b)! In my life I had a hard time understanding b) kind of people and I honestly think that is indication of Fe. For that I only come up with one example of it, but there are many: E.g. female person that 'values' family where it would stay with abusing husband, because well family. I mean, that's ridiculous to me. I mean no matter your family or love, how could you let someone molest you? That is common sense to me...
    Idk but I don't think that's Fe. That doesn't seem to be entirely within the scope of MBTI...

MBTI
    NOPE
    Socionics
    DONE Ni

Everyone is a little bit of both. No one is purely one thing. It's impossible. We're a concoction of different traits rolled up into a human size burrito. Have a wonderful day!!
    "...Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
    I doubted if I should ever come back.
    I shall be telling this with a sigh
    Somewhere ages and ages hence:
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference."
    -The Road Not Taken by Robert Frost

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFp Ni

Now the way I see it is that Fe is outward expression of emotion. Romanticism. Beethoven is a great example of Ni + Fe.

Yelling and screaming a not necessarily this though. Yelling and screaming are more likely Te related, as you yell when someone does something wrong, ie crossing your values. I see it as an expression of logic.

Fi is the opposite. Taking in emotion.

Both Fe and Fi can take in emotion, but Fe does it by copying the emotion given. Fi reads the emotion and gets an answer. As such, we know how I communicate with people by infering that I am an Fe user.

Now the first question is what is it when you are aware of your own feelings, but not aware of why? Hrrm. I believe I know. Not even feeling related. A lack of awareness is related to Ni. Ni is also a very introspective function, because it is pointed inward.

2. When you consider your mother strictly your mother and not a buddy.

I see Fe as a treat everyone the same no matter what function. If this is what you mean, then yes. Reasoning is that Fe likes sameness for whatever reason. Hence why when I smile at someone, I am really looking for an equal reaction. I don't know. My mother does this with me. It could be Te, in that case. She is an Fi dom, and Te goes with Fi.

3. Changing people is likely related to the thing that says they need to be changed. I identify this as Te.

As such, the person in question would logically NOT be INTJ. Reason is because said person identified qualities that strike him/her as odd, and it is not enough to type with.

But yeah. There goes my attempt at making functions quite useful, and easy to understand. Mostly borrowed from Socionics descriptions of the quadras, (Just look up socionics quadras), which I agree with from empirical data.

I believe that above is Ni. Correct me if I'm wrong.