123 Last

Thread: Ni vs Si

Permabanned
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

Default Ni vs Si

What are the main differences between the functions? Are there patterns of behaviour that are characteristic of strongly Si, and of strongly Ni individuals?

I am bringing this up because of a Type Me thread I've just seen where the difficulties of deducing whether someone was a Si or Ni user - especially if very introverted - were pointed out. Looking around typology forums this does seem to come up from time to time.

Anyway look forward to your replies!

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    ~8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Kullervo View Post
    What are the main differences between the functions? Are there patterns of behaviour that are characteristic of strongly Si, and of strongly Ni individuals?

I am bringing this up because of a Type Me thread I've just seen where the difficulties of deducing whether someone was a Si or Ni user - especially if very introverted - were pointed out. Looking around typology forums this does seem to come up from time to time.

Depends which system we're talking about. I guess you only want to hear about MBTI though?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

Quote Originally Posted by infinite View Post
    Depends which system we're talking about. I guess you only want to hear about MBTI though?
    Well, this is the MBTI section...

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

Si and Ni are the hardest functions to describe in my opinion, and from reading what others have written over the years, this is the sentiment that is usually shared. I've certainly struggled with (and still do) explaining it.

One of the biggest distinctions I have noticed between Ni and Si is the evenness of thought. I've often used the terms "non-linear and linear" to describe them, but I'm starting to think that gives the wrong impression. It's more that Si has more of a flow associated with it. Thoughts and ideas are linked fairly solidly, can be traced and interconnected by the individual with relative ease, and there is an attunement to internal referencing. I.e. information taken in more closely looked at and compared to what the individual knows. It's generally fairly scrupulous. There is usually an awareness associated with Si, and the user has stronger control over being able to turn on or off what they want to think about because they need more awareness to be able to intake information.

Where as with Ni, things are a little more abstract. There is less of an attachment to process of thought. Ni has a bit stronger of an autopilot and it's easy forget where they began or where they are in their stream of thought. They can sometimes trace and interconnect things, but this is a learned skill and still difficult at times. The autopilot allows the user to let it run in the background, sort of a "thinking without thinking", and it's easy for the individual to be completely unaware that they are thinking, or what they even are thinking about. This is where a lot of the "mystical" word useage comes from. It's not a matter of magical insights, but that the individual doesn't need to retain constant awareness of their own thoughts.

There's more to it then that, but that's the skinny of it.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

Enneagram
    8w9
    Socionics
    LIE

Hey .

I've studied the functions a lot but you can find definitions online I'll try to give you my iteration from personal understanding -- maybe INTJ to INTJ conversation might work well .

So from my understanding, both Ni and Si -dominant users are very much present in their own worlds. The Si user has a VERY immediate experience and they are constantly taking in everything of their immediate experience, and building strong impressions which they are always comparing, contrasting, and storing. You'll find they often use inferior Ne to make connections in the present moment based on something they remember from their past in order to better understand the present moment -- they need to do this to function. When they are experiencing something entirely foreign I've noticed they tend to be just completely wide-eyed and baffled, completely taking in the experience with no comparisons -- this later becomes a base to jump off of for subsequent experiences that are similar.

Behaviorally you'll find that they tend to be a little more conservative, safe, consistent, careful, detail-oriented (regarding specific colors, sizes, numbers, names, textures, etc.).

The Ni user is similar in that the Ni-user also exists in their own world, but this world is of a different nature. The Ni user always has another eye on the cosmic existence, and is always wondering how everything they experience ties into the larger picture -- whatever the larger picture is. Instead of building a repository of memories and experiences like the Si user, you'll find the Ni user builds a repository of ideas, concepts, essences. They will use inferior Se from time to time to touch base with reality and to make sure their visions and ideas are somewhat aligned with the real world -- in the form of being very present and active in their environment. I think in general you'll find the Ni-dominant user is more open to change, movement, progression, crazy ideas -- they'll be looking instantly for essence and connection into a larger picture -- everything needs to fall into place for them.

Hopefully this all makes sense let me know if you have questions or arguments.

Socionics
    ILI

Introverted Intuition and Introverted Sensation are alike in the sense that the environment affects the self due to the nature of Introverted Perception functions (contrasted with Extroverted Perception functions, where the self affects the environment)

Introverted Sensation is the realization of how the present environment and concrete observations affect you personally, and accounts for the dynamic features of the present environment. Usually, Introverted Sensors have an excellent memory, which aids them in establishing stability in the environment (for spontaneity can be anxiety-producing to them, and this spontaneity is specifically aimed at hypothetical possibilities postulated not by the environment itself but by what could be in the environment after certain actions are made (a.k.a inferior Ne is scary)), for they are able to remember conditions the environment has inflicted upon them prior and can organize the environment to achieve stability. These people easily know what they like in terms of aesthetics and taste due to the fact that the Si function is always paying attention to the dynamic components of the environment. These people will notice changes in the environment and label them as favorable or unfavorable usually under the concept of comfort, usually taking note of environmental things like temperature, humidity, movements in the environment, noises, etc, in relation to the meaning each of these concrete things create, which is usually in relation to the Si user's memory banks. The sound of a police siren, for instance, might conjure feelings of anxiety and fear in an ex-con Si user due to the fact that he was arrested after a hot pursuit chase where sirens were blaring all over the place (The environment, the police sirens, makes the Si-user, the ex-con, uncomfortable). Ergo, these people will often build attachments to certain objects in the environment due to the meaning they convey, such as a family heirloom and tokens that eschew personal sentiments. Si is the notation and interpretation of the present dynamics of the environment in relation to how the environment affected the individual in the past.

Introverted Intuition, on the other hand, is the realization of dynamic circumstances that are not physically present in the environment, and how they affect you personally. Usually, these dynamic circumstances are not located in the dynamics of the present environment, but how the dynamics of the present environment were arrived at (i.e., It's hot outside right now, which is probably because the sun's out and we are standing on pavement that has been heated since the sun arose) and where the dynamics of the present environment may be leading to in the future (contrasted against Si's dynamic interpretations, which predict immediate outcomes of dynamics in the environment; i.e. If you punch a man, the man will probably punch you back immediately, while Ni is more focused on the possible civil court case that could arise from that action). In a way, Introverted intuition can interpret personal meaning from what isn't present in the physical environment in the present (unlike Si which attaches to that which is in the physical environment), where abstract concepts, omnipresent patterns, and dynamic circumstances are laced with personal meaning, to where the introverted intuitive's concepts and insight is seen in the same fashion as an Si user seeing an object in the environment that conjures personal sentiments. Ideas, Dynamic circumstances, and patterns become the Ni user's heirlooms and memorabilia, allowing the Ni user to build a memory vault much like the Si user's memory bank, except based not on tangible, experienced memories but on previous patterns/circumstances/ideas that have been extrapolated from the environment. As aforementioned with Introverted Sensation, spontaneity still causes anxiety and fear in the Introverted Intuitive, but this is not directed at hypothetical, negative, possibilities that can be induced by the self but by realistic, immediate negative happenings in the present environment that are caused by the self. Ni is the notation and interpretation of the dynamic circumstances of the environment in relation to how the environment probably acted and probably will act.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    ~8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Hard View Post
    Where as with Ni, things are a little more abstract. There is less of an attachment to process of thought. Ni has a bit stronger of an autopilot and it's easy forget where they began or where they are in their stream of thought. They can sometimes trace and interconnect things, but this is a learned skill and still difficult at times. The autopilot allows the user to let it run in the background, sort of a "thinking without thinking", and it's easy for the individual to be completely unaware that they are thinking, or what they even are thinking about. This is where a lot of the "mystical" word useage comes from. It's not a matter of magical insights, but that the individual doesn't need to retain constant awareness of their own thoughts.
    Are those thoughts in an entirely intangibly shapeless symbol-less abstract form? Or is this more like, you still think in symbols but it's constant background "noise" that you're used to? ("You" is Ni user in general)

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    ~8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLE

Well, this is the MBTI section...
    I asked because Alea_iacta_est is using a mix of MBTI and socionics definitions.

PS: Well I didn't foresee him posting here lol, I just mean, I find it important to be aware of the systemic differences so that's why I brought up the topic

Permabanned
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

OK guys, thanks for this. I am embarrassed to say that i am still a little confused though!

I should really do some reading around the topic.

Socionics
    ILI

Quote Originally Posted by infinite View Post
    I asked because Alea_iacta_est is using a mix of MBTI and socionics definitions.

PS: Well I didn't foresee him posting here lol, I just mean, I find it important to be aware of the systemic differences so that's why I brought up the topic
    I'm not now (in this thread). Though I will admit that I do prefer incorporating the "dynamic" element of Pi from Socionics into JCF, primarily because it offers new insight and allows me to look at the functions in a different light, one that is more relative to how they actually act in environment.