Thread: Ni vs Si

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    ~8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Kullervo View Post
    OK guys, thanks for this. I am embarrassed to say that i am still a little confused though!
    That would be because everyone presented a different description. Don't worry about being confused

Btw I didn't venture to say anything specific about comparing these functions because Si is the function that keeps nagging me as "nonsense". It's so differently defined in different systems (already different from Jung to MBTI/JCF and of course socionics). So I always felt there's some issue with the whole concept of introverted sensing but this is maybe just me.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    ~8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Alea_iacta_est View Post
    I'm not now (in this thread). Though I will admit that I do prefer incorporating the "dynamic" element of Pi from Socionics into JCF, primarily because it offers new insight and allows me to look at the functions in a different light, one that is more relative to how they actually act in environment.
    Well I only skimmed your post here and I thought I saw other things too but anyway I would say that adding the concept of "dynamic" perception into MBTI Si does equal using a mix of the two systems.

It's cool if it offers you insight, I don't have a problem with that. But OP asked for the MBTI definition.

As to how they actually act in reality, that's a complex issue. And I have to go & maybe it would be too off topic :P again, because OP only asked for the MBTI definition

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

Quote Originally Posted by infinite View Post
    Are those thoughts in an entirely intangibly shapeless symbol-less abstract form? Or is this more like, you still think in symbols but it's constant background "noise" that you're used to? ("You" is Ni user in general)
    It is impossible for me to explain how I think. I wish I could but it's very difficult. It's sort of a thing that just happens. I hate saying "things just come to me" because that's not true, I do put thought into things, but there are (for me anyway) lots of gaps between how I connect things. I sometimes tell my friends that I think "from A, to B, to fish, to Q"
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

Permabanned
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

Well I only skimmed your post here but I would say that adding the concept of "dynamic" perception into MBTI Si does equal using a mix of the two systems.

It's cool if it offers you insight, I don't have a problem with that. But OP asked for the MBTI definition.

As to how they actually act in reality, that's a complex issue. And I have to go & maybe it would be too off topic :P again, because OP only asked for the MBTI definition
    I was hoping this thread might help people who were having typing issues.

Socionics
    ILI

Well I only skimmed your post here and I thought I saw other things too but anyway I would say that adding the concept of "dynamic" perception into MBTI Si does equal using a mix of the two systems.

The only thing borrowed from Socionics is the dynamic concept, which is primarily only used for the word itself, and is even present in the JCF system excepting the specific name. Everything in my post here is JCF.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Hard View Post
    It is impossible for me to explain how I think. I wish I could but it's very difficult. It's sort of a thing that just happens. I hate saying "things just come to me" because that's not true, I do put thought into things, but there are (for me anyway) lots of gaps between how I connect things. I sometimes tell my friends that I think "from A, to B, to fish, to Q"
    I have real trouble explaining how I think as well (sounds like you, a kind of "A leads to B and C which cause D..." etc...) and even more trouble explaining feelings to people.

I have no idea how my mind works actually, its confusing as fuck. The reason I doubt I am an INTJ a lot of the time is because everyone else seems so much better than me, especially at debating...

Socionics
    ILI

I have real trouble explaining how I think as well (sounds like you, a kind of "A leads to B and C which cause D..." etc...) and even more trouble explaining feelings to people.

I have no idea how my mind works actually, its confusing as fuck. The reason I doubt I am an INTJ a lot of the time is because everyone else seems so much better than me, especially at debating...
    Have you been debating with ExTPs?

Also, the inability to express/explain emotions properly comes standard in the INTJ.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Alea_iacta_est View Post
    Have you been debating with ExTPs?

Also, the inability to express/explain emotions properly comes standard in the INTJ.
    No, just online (though text has never been my strong point). I can usually dig my way out but yeah...

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Si user reacts to subjective aspects of the sensations experienced, in other words what the sensation evokes in him. While Si is not some storehouse of sensations or facts, Si user usually has a good storehouse of information/facts/sensation because when using Si, he relates to this storehouse when abstracting sensations to subjective images.
    They also use extraverted intuition in combination of this subjective sensations and focuses on possibilities in the external world more than the concrete sensations.

Ni user uses objective aspect of sensation(uses Se), he reacts to sensation according to the intensity of the sensation itself. Ni itself doesent have the same structure than Si does and is experienced through gut feelings as its too unstructured for consciousness to be felt in other ways. While Ne sees possibilities directly in the external world, Ni has this subjective image of things that is being fed by other functions and possibilities are seen in those subjective lines. And yes ofc there is subjectivity in Ne too, but it relates to objective world instead of subjective like Ni does.

Generally you could say that Ni users tend to be more structured about the external world(cuz Se and especially if combined with Te), but their inner world is not as structured as Si folks.

Naturally the amount of Ni/Se in person for example and how much he relates to Se over Ni or other way around depends on type. Or if you compare ISTJ to ENFP from what i have noticed the inner world of ENFPs isnt nearly as structured as ISTJs is, because ENFP has inferior Si while ISTJ has dom Si. And other functions play as big of a role than Ni or Si does. For example an INFJ can find structure in the inner world using Ti and bla bla bla
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

I am embarrassed to say that i am still a little confused though!
    That is only natural.

Ni is like a picture. Describing Ni is like painting that very same picture. Thus, to describe Ni is to create Ni, because its mode of existence as well as its subject are conceptual, that is: of a subjective nature. Hence the differences and difficulties in defining Ni. In all these regards, of course, Ni is like Si... and all the other functions.

Jung threw a shadow on the wall that nobody could see, and people have been trying to capture, recast and reshape it ever since, managing only to throw shadows of their own.

So, you see, to end your confusion, all you need to do is paint your own picture.