User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Default Flaking out and Temperament/Cognitive Function Correlation

Whenever I find myself making the dreadful commitment of something I'm not eager to fulfill, I always end up getting a last minute change of heart.

I've noticed that this also holds true for others with certain cognitive functions such as types with NE primary or backup. Why is this so? Is it because when you're processing possibilities, it's expected that the best choice is the one that has yet been thought of?

I know that INFP's have a notorious reputation for flaking out, but so do other xNxP's (ENTP's, ENFP's, and INTP's). Do you believe that this is the case, or are there other types you would like to mention that are also prone to flaking out? Or perhaps it has less to do with cognitive function and just general laziness?
    “If you worry about what might be, and wonder what might have been, you will ignore what is.” -anonymous

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

@Eluded_One --

I was going to answer but I for...

(How did I *know* you were an INFP even before looking?)
    "Love never needs time. But friendship always needs time. More and more and more time, up to long past midnight." -- The Crime of Captain Gahagan

Please comment on my johari / nohari pages.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by grey_beard View Post
    @Eluded_One --

I was going to answer but I for...

(How did I *know* you were an INFP even before looking?)
    I was going to answer but I think you need to use better bait next time.
    “If you worry about what might be, and wonder what might have been, you will ignore what is.” -anonymous

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

@Eluded_One -- not bait; I actually have immense respect & admiration for INFPs.
    Consider that INTJ chummy-type teasing. You know, socially clueless.

Best wishes.
    "Love never needs time. But friendship always needs time. More and more and more time, up to long past midnight." -- The Crime of Captain Gahagan

Please comment on my johari / nohari pages.

ndovjtjcaqidthi

I'm a notorious flaker.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by grey_beard View Post
    @Eluded_One -- not bait; I actually have immense respect & admiration for INFPs.
    Consider that INTJ chummy-type teasing. You know, socially clueless.

Best wishes.
    Friendly witty banter always welcome here. No harm if you left bait or not, it's always fun to see what you catch. I just like to have the upper hand on any exchange

MBTI
    InFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx

Most of my past "flaking out" on people has been primarily motivated by anxiety, but not boredom or laziness. It's actually happened a lot more when I'm in pessimistic, fearful FiSi mode; when I use Ne I have more optimism, mental energy and resilience and I'm more likely to actually go through with the commitments I make because they no longer seem that scary when they come around.

This is mostly speculation, but I see INxPs as more likely to back out of commitments to avoid social overexertion, and ENxPs are probably more likely to flake out out of indecisiveness/desire for different possibilities.

MBTI
    Ne
    Enneagram
    468 sx/so
    Socionics
    :-( None

Most people wouldn't exactly call me a "flake" IRL--I keep my word to others, I'm serious, I'm pragmatic in some ways, I tend to finish large projects (like college)...not so much the smaller ones.

But I know the process you're talking about. Unless I really WANT to do something, I tend to hesitate making commitments, or somehow find something better to do right before I'm needed somewhere else. I always felt it stemmed from a fear of being trapped somehow, but I am sure that being Ne+Ti doesn't help matters.

I feel like most of my flakiness is internal, however--I've become aware of how absent-minded I am, how utterly lost in an alternate reality. But most others--including even my family--don't see this.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by underwaterthing View Post
    Most of my past "flaking out" on people has been primarily motivated by anxiety, but not boredom or laziness. It's actually happened a lot more when I'm in pessimistic, fearful FiSi mode; when I use Ne I have more optimism, mental energy and resilience and I'm more likely to actually go through with the commitments I make because they no longer seem that scary when they come around.

This is mostly speculation, but I see INxPs as more likely to back out of commitments to avoid social overexertion, and ENxPs are probably more likely to flake out out of indecisiveness/desire for different possibilities.
    all of this is very true. sometimes it is laziness though. or the potential anxiety combined with how good my bed feels at that moment.

i try to honor my commitments, if i think me going is actually important. sometimes i'll say i'm going to something just out of politeness and social convention and don't expect to be treated seriously. usually i'll just try to resist making an actual plan though and say "maybe" or nothing at all.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so

I think P types in general will be more flakey than J types (I know plenty of SPs who flake out as much as me and don't really commit to anything). Could be related to Ji>Je.
    7w6 - 2w3 - 8w7 sx/so