User Tag List

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: Intuitives are overrated

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by infinite View Post
    Interesting distinction. What kind of abstract concepts are we talking about, though? I think abstract vs concrete dichotomy isn't simply the N/S dichotomy but correlated with some other functions as well.
    I wouldn't necessarily use the word concrete. In my opinion the N/S dichotomy is based upon conceptualization vs sensual awareness. Abstract concepts is the outcome of the conceptualization, which may or may not reach that point.
    “If you worry about what might be, and wonder what might have been, you will ignore what is.” -anonymous

Senior Member Array
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    ~8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Conduit View Post
    I guess you're right. Poor choice of words on my part. People shouldn't try to develop their weaker functions, but knowing when to recognize their influence can be invaluable. I don't know that I've developed my Fe or ever will, but seeing it's negative push and pull in my life when I am under stress is very helpful because I can then step back and try to re-engage my secondary perception to get a better handle on any given situation. I mentioned in another thread that Ti dominate types will feign the shit out of Fe; I don't know that they ever truly develop or master its usage (to try to do this might prove disastrous), but I think we live in a very Te and Fe oriented culture where people who don't use either of those functions particularly well are often forced to use them, regardless of their MBTI type.

As I've experienced it, Fe will cause me to obsess over how others perceive me. I will become insecure and start to hate people because I think they all think I am shit. At those times, the healthiest thing I can do is take a step back and return to my normal, don't-give-two-fucks-what-anyone-thinks attitude and go about my life--this is when I feel the most confident and true to myself and ironically, I think people like me far more when I am in this mode then when I am in my insecure, trying to use Fe mode.
    I totally know what you're talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Eluded_One View Post
    I wouldn't necessarily use the word concrete. In my opinion the N/S dichotomy is based upon conceptualization vs sensual awareness. Abstract concepts is the outcome of the conceptualization, which may or may not reach that point.
    What do you call conceptualization? Can't introverted functions in general work with concepts too?

Make 2017 a good one! Array Amargith's Avatar
    MBTI
    Nixi
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEx None

Isn't the common advice that if you spend time developing your aux-function, it automatically bolsters the rest of your functions?

I know that if I return to Fi in the midst of a storm, it reigns in and focuses my Ne, instead of letting it stomp around like a belligerent bull, it encourages and solidifies my resolve in executing my Te and reminds my Si that clinging to things that ultimately don't matter and were in the past isn't helpful and refocuses it on finding the information that in the past did help us in this situation and is in line with my principles. In essence, it's like the glue between them all.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

Crude & outdated Array Anaximander's Avatar
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp

Quote Originally Posted by Amargith View Post
    Isn't the common advice that if you spend time developing your aux-function, it automatically bolsters the rest of your functions?

I know that if I return to Fi in the midst of a storm, it reigns in and focuses my Ne, instead of letting it stomp around like a belligerent bull, it encourages and solidifies my resolve in executing my Te and reminds my Si that clinging to things that ultimately don't matter and were in the past isn't helpful and refocuses it on finding the information that in the past did help us in this situation and is in line with my principles. In essence, it's like the glue between them all.
    I think that's the general idea.

You are a Ne dom or Fi dom?
    Quote Originally Posted by typh0n
    Usually it's the far left or the far right criticizing the establishment, but I don't see why I couldn't be an "an anti-establishment centrist"
    http://swfanon.wikia.com/wiki/Gray_Jedi_Code

http://www.with.org/tao_te_ching_en.pdf

http://www.aikidoseiki.com/doc/aikid..._peace_eng.pdf

MBTI
    Nixi
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEx None

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Conduit View Post
    I think that's the general idea.

You are a Ne dom or Fi dom?
    Ne-dom. My Fi tests equal in strength to my Ne though, but I clearly use Fi in the parenting role and Ne as my world view.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

Member Array
    MBTI
    INtP

The world structure favoring S over N is probably a reflection of the fact that N types are susceptible to living in a dream world. in saying that tho, is it better to dominate the grain of sand in the ocean, or the ocean itself?

As with everything, balance is the key to success in anything, and that applies to personality traits to.
    If you see Eve, tell her I'm growing tired of walking the ends of the earth in trying to tell her no

The Architect enjoys a good balance between the real world and fantasy.
    The Designer enjoys a good balance between the real world and fantasy.
    The Mastermind enjoys a good balance between the real world and fantasy.
    The Prodigy enjoys a good balance between the real world and fantasy.
    The Shaman enjoys a good balance between the real world and fantasy.

Notice anything?

Those came from this thread:

Learn Myself Personality Test (learnmyself.com)
    The east and the west are mine, the north and the south are mine. All seems beautiful to me.
    — Walt Whitman

Senior Member Array
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    ~8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLE

I haven't heard of that before but this certainly is not my experience. Assuming, Se is my aux function, spending time with it - developing it?? - doesn't help Ni at all. It might help Fe, true. Even if we assume that Ti is my aux function, it clearly acts against Fe, even though it's good for boosting Ni.

Ne-dom. My Fi tests equal in strength to my Ne though, but I clearly use Fi in the parenting role and Ne as my world view.
    How did you decide which one was the worldview?

MBTI
    Nixi
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEx None

Quote Originally Posted by infinite View Post
    I haven't heard of that before but this certainly is not my experience. Assuming, Se is my aux function, spending time with it - developing it?? - doesn't help Ni at all. It might help Fe, true. Even if we assume that Ti is my aux function, it clearly acts against Fe, even though it's good for boosting Ni.

How did you decide which one was the worldview?
    God, you make me feel old

I dont have the sources from several years ago on hand anymore ( we need more Sj to keep track of this shit ) but im sure that if you google it, you ll find confirmation.

The thing is that your Se would reign in and focus your Ti. That means less aimless brooding in your head and more contact with the moment amd the outside world. The pare t also exprsses the way we love and connect with others. You ll find yourself more curious and willing to engagem them with Se activities and humor. And it gives your Ni and Fe a chance to bloom because you ll be more open through Se to suspend the need for things to make sense before considering them worthy of your attention(Ti) and just experience them as is. This in turn allows you to see which patterns emerge from those exprriences and predict where they ll lead, bolstering your Ni. The interaction will also allow you to experiment with the 'social contracts' people employ, teaching you Fe along the way while showing you the realistic expectations your inferior can expect to hav fulfilled, minimizing disappointment, fear, loneliness and other symptoms associated with the inferior.

I, for a long time typed as an ambivert(xNFP) due to confusing the strength of the functions with their role. While you typically are stronger in your preferences, its no guarantee due to the stuff life throws at you to deal with. In my case, Fi was pretty much not allowed in my heavy Fe preferring family, so when i was a teenager, i didnt get to develop it properly. When i came bere in was in my late twenties and heavily compensating to the point of going overboard, relishing the freedom

Tl;dr: i stumbled on the description of the roles of the functions and things clicked( its still somewhere hidden in my old blog i believe but im on my phone atm). Your dom is your world view, your parent the way you love and engage others, the relief function is just that - the way you take a break and so on. The sixth is your blindspot- Ti in my case and feel free to ask other Ti doms just how clueless i am on this, with Se being my demon and the way i get self-destructive.

The difference between me and an Infp is that they tend to be a lot more clear on what they value. They see the world through Fi, meaning that they know way faster than me what they value and in what day as they see the world naturally indexed according to their core values. I deal otoh in potentials, patterns and different angles -which means im often reluctant to give up or priotize one option over another as i enjoy the freedom that kind of buffet offers me. I enjoy looking at the world from the most ridiculous angles and playing devils advocate, and find hidden truths there. And my shtick for this reason is that everyone's got potential and a right to have their pov - their angle on life- considered. This is something an Fi dom doesnt necessarily agree with.

Meanwhile they use Ne in a more containee and practical way to engage people with silly wordgames and discovering through those people other perspectives to enrich their own Fi one -as long as it complies with Fi's axiomas. Often you ll find they can pace and utilize their Ne better as they are focused onthe other person while an Ne dom is experienced as too randon, scary and intimidating or obnoxious as they arent adjusting their output to their audience, they re just doing their thing

Similarly- when i focus on people i use Fi in a practical way to approach them - ill use it to identify those i want to be closer with, and break the ice by mirrorring their state of mind, their word usage and comment on the things we both value and start a conversation in which the chances of opening up and connecting with the other and learning who they are while sharing a piece of myself are increased.

An Fi dom tends to come off more wise but less flexing than i do because they focus their understanding not necessarily on the person in front of them but on all mankind and the world which makes them look more detached as they express their understanding of either the person in front of them or whatever piece of the world theyre working on or have previously processed.

The strength or development of the function however does not change the way you lime using that function. My Ne wont be give up its angles and potentials to my Fi who agrees and supports this as this is part of my core values - meaning i ll never fully grasp in nuanced detail how Fi doms navigate the world no matter how strong my Fi gets. My Ne with its love for other povs might allow the occasional temporary simulator flight into Fi-dom but that is more likely to happen when i need that info - iow whe. Im using Fi already practically to reach out and connect with an Fi dom which requires understanding where they re coning from to the best of my abilities. And there my preference once again shines through.

..i hope this sort of made sense to you as these might not be the most relatable functions for you ( im willing to try and do this for Ti and Se but i seriously suck in my own understanding of em)

/rant
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

Senior Member Array
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    ~8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLE

God, you make me feel old
    Err why? :P

I dont have the sources from several years ago on hand anymore ( we need more Sj to keep track of this shit ) but im sure that if you google it, you ll find confirmation.
    No worries.

The thing is that your Se would reign in and focus your Ti. That means less aimless brooding in your head and more contact with the moment amd the outside world. The pare t also exprsses the way we love and connect with others. You ll find yourself more curious and willing to engagem them with Se activities and humor. And it gives your Ni and Fe a chance to bloom because you ll be more open through Se to suspend the need for things to make sense before considering them worthy of your attention(Ti) and just experience them as is. This in turn allows you to see which patterns emerge from those exprriences and predict where they ll lead, bolstering your Ni. The interaction will also allow you to experiment with the 'social contracts' people employ, teaching you Fe along the way while showing you the realistic expectations your inferior can expect to hav fulfilled, minimizing disappointment, fear, loneliness and other symptoms associated with the inferior.
    Hahahah what a nice idealized scenario Anyway I get the point.

I, for a long time typed as an ambivert(xNFP) due to confusing the strength of the functions with their role. While you typically are stronger in your preferences, its no guarantee due to the stuff life throws at you to deal with.

(...)

Tl;dr: i stumbled on the description of the roles of the functions and things clicked( its still somewhere hidden in my old blog i believe but im on my phone atm).
    I don't know what you mean by old blog so if you find a link later, I'd be glad to see that

..i hope this sort of made sense to you as these might not be the most relatable functions for you ( im willing to try and do this for Ti and Se but i seriously suck in my own understanding of em)
    Yes it made sense. Very nicely put together. I'd like to hear your Ti/Se version of this

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast