User Tag List

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: Intuitives are overrated

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite Bubble View Post
    Typically sensing rejects or is weary of unfounded abstract information.
    It takes sensors more time to grasp abstract concepts... given, it may take a few hours to a few years. While it takes intuitives more time to grasp simple pleasures in life. Neither one is overrated or underrated. Anywhere you go, some individual has to point out that there's a system of classes that belong to the elite. Which in any case, makes that individual less worth knowing.
    “If you worry about what might be, and wonder what might have been, you will ignore what is.” -anonymous

Infinite Bubble

Quote Originally Posted by Eluded_One View Post
    It takes sensors more time to grasp abstract concepts... given, it may take a few hours to a few years. While it takes intuitives more time to grasp simple pleasures in life. Neither one is overrated or underrated. Anywhere you go, some individual has to point out that there's a system of classes that belong to the elite. Which in any case, makes that individual less worth knowing.
    Are you just trying to be politically correct? There will be a difference if there is a majority and a minority.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite Bubble View Post
    Are you just trying to be politically correct? There will be a difference if there is a majority and a minority.
    I'm too "in your face" to be politically correct. I don't see why I should take sides on this matter. There will always be a difference where ever you go. That doesn't mean that anyone has to grade or scale others, particularly when there apparently is no need to.
    “If you worry about what might be, and wonder what might have been, you will ignore what is.” -anonymous

Infinite Bubble

That doesn't mean that anyone has to grade or scale others, particularly when there apparently is no need to.
    Yes I agree it's a shame, but most people do it anyway.

That doesn't mean that anyone has to grade or scale others, particularly when there apparently is no need to.
    I give this post a B+

LadyLazarus

Humans are overrated, we're just slightly smarter monkeys with like, mutant vegetables and shit.

In all seriousness, yes I agree description-wise N's are overrated, S's most frequently seem to be painted as almost neanderthal-esque. This seems especially true of the SP's IMO. Most descriptions are litered with the words "entertainer" or "athlete" with no mention of anything about intellect or innovation in sight. While most descriptions of the intuitives tend to overflow with words like "innovative" and "abstract".

As an S who admittedly feels like she doesn't fit in very well with the rest of the population, this is what lead to my original mistyping as an INFP.

I assume the exaggeration within profiles is to allow for ease when distinguishing between types, but IMO it just ends up creating boxes few people can fit into as well as seemingly painting "better" pictures of certain types.

Enneagram
    953 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by LadyLazarus View Post
    Humans are overrated, we're just slightly smarter monkeys with like, mutant vegetables and shit.
    I've been saying this for years. Launching rockets at the moon is more or less the equivalent of cavemen standing around a tree lobbing stones at a hornet's nest to see what will happen.

As an S who admittedly feels like she doesn't fit in very well with the rest of the population, this is what lead to my original mistyping as an INFP.
    I can identify with this to some extent. I still think I am a fairly intuitive person, I just identify more with Sensing.

People who make broad generalizations and stereotype Sensors as inherently inferior fail to acknowledge that EVERYONE has intuition to some extent and that anyone can better develop the use of their intuitive skills--that's more or less the ultimate point of MBTI: learning more about one's own personality and cognitive processes to learn their strengths and better develop their weaker functions.

Senior Member Array
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    ~8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLE

It takes sensors more time to grasp abstract concepts... given, it may take a few hours to a few years. While it takes intuitives more time to grasp simple pleasures in life. Neither one is overrated or underrated.
    Interesting distinction. What kind of abstract concepts are we talking about, though? I think abstract vs concrete dichotomy isn't simply the N/S dichotomy but correlated with some other functions as well.

In all seriousness, yes I agree description-wise N's are overrated, S's most frequently seem to be painted as almost neanderthal-esque. This seems especially true of the SP's IMO. Most descriptions are litered with the words "entertainer" or "athlete" with no mention of anything about intellect or innovation in sight. While most descriptions of the intuitives tend to overflow with words like "innovative" and "abstract".

(...)

I assume the exaggeration within profiles is to allow for ease when distinguishing between types, but IMO it just ends up creating boxes few people can fit into as well as seemingly painting "better" pictures of certain types.
    I don't see what's wrong with being an entertainer or athlete? How is it worse than being a university professor? I don't see the SP's as having "worse" pictures painted for them than for N's. I think this is a very subjective evaluation here about what's better or worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Conduit View Post
    I've been saying this for years. Launching rockets at the moon is more or less the equivalent of cavemen standing around a tree lobbing stones at a hornet's nest to see what will happen.
    Loool yeah the difference is just that a lot more data had to be processed in a certain way in brains for a long time before we got to the phase of launching rockets at the moon

I can identify with this to some extent. I still think I am a fairly intuitive person, I just identify more with Sensing.

People who make broad generalizations and stereotype Sensors as inherently inferior fail to acknowledge that EVERYONE has intuition to some extent and that anyone can better develop the use of their intuitive skills--that's more or less the ultimate point of MBTI: learning more about one's own personality and cognitive processes to learn their strengths and better develop their weaker functions.
    Hey. Have you yet developed your Fe better? (Oh wait yes you probably did. I recall the other thread now where we've been talking heh)

Anyway my point is.. I don't see where MBTI tells you how to develop the weaker functions. Recognizing something is one thing. Changing it is another thing. Still, it's nice about MBTI, helping recognize some stuff.

Senior Member Array
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    ~8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Sanjuro View Post
    Amazing, right? I didn't even have to memorize vocab lists.

No, I said that more out of exaggeration. I will say, though, that MANY people seem to find it annoying that I'm not capable of just throwing random words out. This leads me to think that most people probably DON'T need to structure it.
    Gotcha

I don't quite see the structures, but I can definitely relate to not understanding a jumble of words put together without dissecting the grammar. It's an acquired skill in my case.
    Maybe a strange question but what do you mean by it being an acquired skill? Did it not just develop on its own? What did you do?

Hmmm yeah the latter I guess is because you're off to idea-land :P

Btw I will admit to being somewhat resistant to conditioning wrt some things myself, such as getting to bed early enough if I know I have to get up early. I know I will be terribly sleepy in the morning if I don't go to bed in time. That is pretty frustrating to me. Yet I can't take this definite outcome in the near future seriously enough, it doesn't make me go to bed in time, I'm just not getting conditioned by the bad consequences in this case :P
    I thought that was a sx-first thing.
    Really? Why?

Enneagram
    953 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by infinite View Post
    Interesting distinction. What kind of abstract concepts are we talking about, though? I think abstract vs concrete dichotomy isn't simply the N/S dichotomy but correlated with some other functions as well.

I don't see what's wrong with being an entertainer or athlete? How is it worse than being a university professor? I don't see the SP's as having "worse" pictures painted for them than for N's. I think this is a very subjective evaluation here about what's better or worse.

Loool yeah the difference is just that a lot more data had to be processed in a certain way in brains for a long time before we got to the phase of launching rockets at the moon

Hey. Have you yet developed your Fe better? (Oh wait yes you probably did. I recall the other thread now where we've been talking heh)

Anyway my point is.. I don't see where MBTI tells you how to develop the weaker functions. Recognizing something is one thing. Changing it is another thing. Still, it's nice about MBTI, helping recognize some stuff.
    I guess you're right. Poor choice of words on my part. People shouldn't try to develop their weaker functions, but knowing when to recognize their influence can be invaluable. I don't know that I've developed my Fe or ever will, but seeing it's negative push and pull in my life when I am under stress is very helpful because I can then step back and try to re-engage my secondary perception to get a better handle on any given situation. I mentioned in another thread that Ti dominate types will feign the shit out of Fe; I don't know that they ever truly develop or master its usage (to try to do this might prove disastrous), but I think we live in a very Te and Fe oriented culture where people who don't use either of those functions particularly well are often forced to use them, regardless of their MBTI type.

As I've experienced it, Fe will cause me to obsess over how others perceive me. I will become insecure and start to hate people because I think they all think I am shit. At those times, the healthiest thing I can do is take a step back and return to my normal, don't-give-two-fucks-what-anyone-thinks attitude and go about my life--this is when I feel the most confident and true to myself and ironically, I think people like me far more when I am in this mode then when I am in my insecure, trying to use Fe mode.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast