• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Rant: People who think MBTI has anything to do with the way people look.

L

LadyLazarus

Ok, so I skimmed this stupid blog thing about the hierarchy of attractiveness within MBTI:http://mbtitruths.blogspot.com/2013/01/hierarchy-of-attractiveness.html. Yes skimmed...ok fine I just looked at the rankings, 'cause I don't have the attention span to read things anymore. :puppy_dog_eyes:

Anyway, wtf man, just wtf. How would this even work? Would people be born as their types first and foremost or something? Like, I wasn't born a girl, I was born an ISFP or something? Or, when someone's having a kid, the doctor is like "Oh no it's an XKWT, it's doomed to a life of ugliness and having an XKWT nose or something. We must put it back." Are genetics and the fact that none of us are (probably, maybe that time my dad went to get milk...) related not a thing? I've seen people say things like, "You look like an WKTH." What does that mean? What does a WKTH even look like? What does our personality even have to do with the way we where born looking?

I don't get it. Yeah maybe there are little similarities between people of a type, like maybe some other ISFP's have two freckles on their left arm or one of their eyebrows is also itchy. I think those are just coincidences though. But, I think it's kind of weird to think that all people of type look alike or must have similar mannerisms/features.

So, why or how do some people think MBTI has anything to do with the way someone looks? How would that even be possible?

Geonat

Ok, so I skimmed this stupid blog thing about the hierarchy of attractiveness within MBTI:http://mbtitruths.blogspot.com/2013/01/hierarchy-of-attractiveness.html. Yes skimmed...ok fine I just looked at the rankings, 'cause I don't have the attention span to read things anymore. :puppy_dog_eyes:

Anyway, wtf man, just wtf. How would this even work? Would people be born as their types first and foremost or something? Like, I wasn't born a girl, I was born an ISFP or something? Or, when someone's having a kid, the doctor is like "Oh no it's an XKWT, it's doomed to a life of ugliness and having an XKWT nose or something. We must put it back." Are genetics and the fact that none of us are (probably, maybe that time my dad went to get milk...) related not a thing? I've seen people say things like, "You look like an WKTH." What does that mean? What does a WKTH look like? What does our personality even have to do with the way we where born looking?

I don't get it. Yeah maybe there are little similarities between people of a type, like maybe some other ISFP's have two freckles on their left arm or one of their eyebrows is also itchy. I think those are just coincidences though. But, I think it's kind of weird to think that all people of type look alike or must have similar mannerisms/features.

So, why or how do some people think MBTI has anything to do with the way someone looks? How would that be possible?

Well I personally think that's a load of - pardon - crap. From videos and interaction with others on the other hand one might find patterns that may then later reinforce or dismiss an initial guess. Just a guess: The MBTI order of functions seems to be more hard-wired than then enneagram type which (from very limited data (one set :)) seems to be more influenced by upbringing, surroundings, etc, especially wings.

Have you seen this and what follows? (hi [MENTION=20531]yeghor[/MENTION] :))
Don't know if you are still around... I identify more with EII INFj too...

People, could you please check this video and speculate on their mbti type as we'll as socionics type?

Edit: Corrected video

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
Goddamit.

I had written a post, but my phone died before I hit send, and the auto-restore apparently hadn't saved it.

Long story short: the author of that site is an idiot, and the ideas referenced are incredibly oversimplistic.

That being said, there are actually some correlations between type and appearance that I have found surprisingly reasonable.

For example:

JULY-REVISED-CHART.jpg

I was surprised to find, upon doing research into somatotype, that the correlations in the above chart actually hold true for many people I know. And I can even see a sort of logic behind it all. And I believe the three somatotype actually make a lot of sense. So...

Also, in one of my favorite books on the Enneagram, the above somatotyping model (based on the work of Harry Sheldon) is referenced to produce a somatotype for each of the enneatypes, and I've found those correlations to hold surprisingly well as well...

In addition to that, certain mannerisms and behaviors that manifest in the external world do seem to be correlated to type, so these can have an effect on how types often seem to appear.

Geonat

Goddamit.

[...]

I was surprised to find, upon doing research into somatotype, that the correlations in the above chart actually hold true for many people I know. And I can even see a sort of logic behind it all. And I believe the three somatotype actually make a lot of sense. So...
[...]

Do you also keep track on how many people where the correlation doesn't hold true? :)
My first reply was pretty much dominated by feelings though, and I'm ready to admit that, for example, if a person is physically hindered with a faiblesse for fat mixed with sugar then no wonder if he/she has an increased risk of getting obiese. That cause-and-effect almost borders to a tautology, while plain correlations on the hand do not necessarily imply any cause and effect relationship.

What do the three digits in the chart correspond to?

Habba

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
I skimmed the blog over, but I have no problems with the idea of it (the theory might not be sound, but it's far from ridiculous). If people are okay saying that iNtuitives have higher IQ on average than Sensing types, nobody objects. If someone says Sensing types look better than iNtuitive types on average, everyone loses their minds. :shock:

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
Do you also keep track on how many people where the correlation doesn't hold true? :)

I'm not really in the business of shitty thinking.

My first reply was pretty much dominated by feelings though, and I'm ready to admit that, for example, if a person is physically hindered with a faiblesse for fat mixed with sugar then no wonder if he/she has an increased risk of getting obiese. That cause-and-effect almost borders to a tautology, while plain correlations on the hand do not necessarily imply any cause and effect relationship.

The correlations for the MBTI are IF = fat, ES = muscle, IT = skinny (nervous system).

In the Enneagram, it's e9 = fat, e3 = muscle, e6 = skinny (nervous sytem).

What do the three digits in the chart correspond to?

Let me google that for you

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
I skimmed the blog over, but I have no problems with the idea of it (the theory might not be sound, but it's far from ridiculous).

It gets a bit stupid when you rank the types directly by where Se is located, if you ask me.

If people are okay saying that iNtuitives have higher IQ on average than Sensing types, nobody objects.

Mmm... actually, people flip out about that shit on here all the time.

Frankly, tho, the evidence basically says as much.

But, hey, ISTJs are the smartest of the sensors!

If someone says Sensing types look better than iNtuitive types on average, everyone loses their minds. :shock:

That wasn't the claim, I don't believe.

It was where Se, specifically, ranks.

As such, the SJs (and NPs) actually ranked below the NJs.

Once again, tho, I think this whole notion is rather stupid.

And I have considered the "SPs are most attractive" thesis.

The objectivity of attractiveness is slippery enough as is.

Adding in "where Se is in consciousness" just makes it too much.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Sensors are more likely to notice details particularly se types which as a result probably put more effort into their appearance giving the allusion of being better looking

Animal

So carnal it's spiritual
MBTI Type
SeFi
Enneagram
Goddamit.

I had written a post, but my phone died before I hit send, and the auto-restore apparently hadn't saved it.

Long story short: the author of that site is an idiot, and the ideas referenced are incredibly oversimplistic.

That being said, there are actually some correlations between type and appearance that I have found surprisingly reasonable.

For example:

JULY-REVISED-CHART.jpg

Also, in one of my favorite books on the Enneagram, the above somatotyping model (based on the work of Harry Sheldon) is referenced to produce a somatotype for each of the enneatypes, and I've found those correlations to hold surprisingly well as well...

In addition to that, certain mannerisms and behaviors that manifest in the external world do seem to be correlated to type, so these can have an effect on how types often seem to appear.

My mother is an ISFJ - she's mesomorphy (muscle) and used to be ectomorphy (skinny)
My brother is an ISFJ - he's mesomorphy (muscle) and used to be ectomorphy (skinny) except when he had severe illness at which point he became endomorphy (fat) for a period of a few years
My father is an ENTP - he's mesomorphy (muscle) and used to be ectomorphy (skinny) except a period in his mid-50s when he was endomorphy (fat)
I'm an ENFP - I am on the slender side of mesomorphy, especially now that I'm in my early 30s, but up until about 32 I was ectomorphy (skinny) no mater how much I ate, and now I would be endomorphy (fat) if I continued to eat that way, so I stopped, and kept up my gym routine.

In my experience, fat/skinny patterns run in the family. In my family you're skinny no matter what until you're 30, and change drastically after that depending on whether you exercise and how you eat, and also health problems (thyroid etc). That's the way my genes are wired. I'm thin because I work at being thin. If I decide not to for a while, I start gaining weight. Simple..

Animal

So carnal it's spiritual
MBTI Type
SeFi
Enneagram
Sensors are more likely to notice details particularly se types which as a result probably put more effort into their appearance giving the allusion of being better looking

I'm Ne-Fi-Te-Si and I put effort into my appearance. As an artist and expressive person I am offended when I wake up in the morning and see a monster in the mirror, so I try to be good to my skin and my hair, and I keep up with my diet & gym routine. I'm not overly fussy about diet or exercising but when I start to get to a place I don't like, I fix it.

I am not one to put on lots of makeup & get dolled up to go to the grocery store, however. I'll walk aroudn my own neighborhood in my pajamas if I damn well please. But I take care of my hair (whcih is a lot of work given my chronic condition likes to make my hair fall out ) and take care of my skin when I wash in the morning & evening, eat right, pay attention to my body. This way I don't have to DO MUCH to look good. I look good when I just woke up, and look even better if I get dolled up. And - for me this IS work. I am not "naturally blessed" etc I just care about my appearance.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I'm Ne-Fi-Te-Si and I put effort into my appearance. As an artist and expressive person I am offended when I wake up in the morning and see a monster in the mirror, so I try to be good to my skin and my hair, and I keep up with my diet & gym routine. I'm not overly fussy about diet or exercising but when I start to get to a place I don't like, I fix it.

I am not one to put on lots of makeup & get dolled up to go to the grocery store, however. I'll walk aroudn my own neighborhood in my pajamas if I damn well please. But I take care of my hair (whcih is a lot of work given my chronic condition likes to make my hair fall out ) and take care of my skin when I wash in the morning & evening, eat right, pay attention to my body. This way I don't have to DO MUCH to look good. I look good when I just woke up, and look even better if I get dolled up. And - for me this IS work. I am not "naturally blessed" etc I just care about my appearance.

It was a hypothesis, I don't get where this theory comes from so I was just hmmm maybe.I also said more likely to put effort into their appearance.

Animal

So carnal it's spiritual
MBTI Type
SeFi
Enneagram
It was a hypothesis, I don't get where this theory comes from so I was just hmmm maybe.I also said more likely to put effort into their appearance.

Yeah I mean.. I can see why Se types would end up being muscular etc, because they like to 'do things." In my experience Se types are attuned to such things, and maybe more likely to be into makeup and other details. But I just wanted to point out that I am inf-Si and thus very low Se… and I still care about my appearance. For me it's Fi - I have a strong reaction to beauty and ugliness and my own definition. I don't tend to judge others on external appearance - it's more about how they move, what they do with it, whether they're true to themselves. But for me, being true to myself and expressing my beauty comes along with making my body a canvas for my spirit - and my spirit appreciates beauty. I'll never be beautiful compared to some "standard" but at least my body can express my love for beauty in various forms - I can pose in pictures, videos, wear outfits, and enjoy the process of creating my own art and representing what I find beautiful, as best as I can. My body is canvas for my spirit.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I'm fi I care nothing about my appearance. Maybe caring about how you look is a nurture/environmental thing and has very very very little to do with functions? One tally against looks convey type

ChrisFergusonFl

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
2x3
This is my first post on this forum.

I think MBTI is way more than just looks but I do think it's very possible to tell a person's MBTI Personality Type just by looking at them once.

The title of this thread made me feel like crap about my understanding of Typology even though I strongly believe I'm coming to correct conclusions when I'm typing myself and others, but doing it in a very different way than most people who do this stuff.

A lot of me typing people is influenced by looks and my human connection with other people; however, I'm the person who has a keen eye for spotting deep meanings in things just by looking at them once.

I read the link that the OP of this thread shared and I agree with everyone about the person thinking how good looking someone is based off their MBTI Personality Type being extremely stupid. I personally believe that I've been attracted to multiple girls of all 16 personality types. Calling certain personality types good looking is biased and subjective if you ask me, and that's not good when it comes to Typology.

When it comes to Jungian Cognitive Functions, I don't understand what I'm reading because there isn't enough examples out there of each function in action.

I just trust and respect the information from PersonalityPage.com and YouTube Videos from Neil Ihde when it comes to MBTI, and no other information sources; both information sources are very clear, concise, impartial, and objective.

If anyone wants to teach me more about Typology than I already know based off this post, go for it but please remember that learning is creating a relationship between what we don't understand and what we do understand.

Best wishes,
Chris Ferguson

S

Stansmith

Lately, taking care of my appearance for me has just been Se..and goes along with being organized, motivated/proactive, moving forward, having my sh-t together, etc. I'm not sure why I do it anymore besides the fact that it makes me feel good/confident. I like being clean, looking clean, etc. I used to be somewhat sentimental/precious about mu choices, but I don't see the way I dress as anything inherently special in the grand scheme of things. It's whatever. I have nothing to prove.

L

LadyLazarus

The title of this thread made me feel crap about my understanding of Typology

My apologies. I would change it but I can't edit it anymore, anyway I meant it as a rant not super seriously or anything, so again sorry if it was unintentionally offensive to anyone.